Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

So is this part of Ashley and Lambias plans of 'showcasing' what a sponsorship package would be like for potential new sponsors?

Quite possibly, because i'm sure they would rather have people paying for this kind of advertisement/sponsorship deal.

That depends on which hat he has on, his owner of NUFC sombrero or his majority shareholder of SD beanie. If it’s the later he might think SD getting premium advertising for nowt (or next to nowt) is a great deal. Leaving aside the question of whether the ground should be used as a billboard, the crux of the matter is how much money is the club getting. If it turns out to be nowt that would be a clear indication of Ashley’s attitude towards NUFC.

So is this part of Ashley and Lambias plans of 'showcasing' what a sponsorship package would be like for potential new sponsors?

Quite possibly, because i'm sure they would rather have people paying for this kind of advertisement/sponsorship deal.

That depends on which hat he has on, his owner of NUFC sombrero or his majority shareholder of SD beanie. If its the later he might think SD getting premium advertising for nowt (or next to nowt) is a great deal. Leaving aside the question of whether the ground should be used as a billboard, the crux of the matter is how much money is the club getting. If it turns out to be nowt that would be a clear indication of Ashleys attitude towards NUFC.

It could be used as a mechanism for repaying the loans he's made to the club without any physical cash changing hands ie. without the club parting with any money.

If no one else is interested in taking up the opportunity to have the advertising space ahead of Sports Direct, that would seem a sensible alternative.

Big deal over nowt. It's just advertising.

The stadium next to the one that used to be called Highbury is absolutely plastered with corporate advertising for Emirates and even named after them (whatever next !) and it's one of the best looking arenas in Europe.

Just sounds like a few Newcastle fans being up their own arse again about how special THEIR stadium is.

(Which of course it is)

To be fair though, Emirates isn't a tacky sports shop with ugly looking fonts in their adverts.

These are only the recommendations to be given by planning officer Matthew Storey at the committee meeting.

Planning Officers do not normally take public objections into account. They just point out their existence. Final decision will be made at the committee meeting which will consider the planning officer's recommendations but also any public objections.

So therefore the final decision will be made at the committee meeting on the 17th.

The stadium next to the one that used to be called Highbury is absolutely plastered with corporate advertising for Emirates and even named after them (whatever next !) and it's one of the best looking arenas in Europe.

Just sounds like a few Newcastle fans being up their own arse again about how special THEIR stadium is.

(Which of course it is)

To be fair though, Emirates isn't a tacky sports shop with ugly looking fonts in their adverts.

And we're probably getting even more up our own arses if we start to say "well advertising is OK but only if it's acertain certain company/product"

In principle, it's wrong, but there again maybe all sponsorship in sport is wrong ?

We're in debt, we need money and principles don't pay wages or feed mouths.

Rather this than sell a promising player.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

(Which of course it is)

And we're probably getting even more up our own arses if we start to say "well advertising is OK but only if it's acertain certain company/product"

In principle, it's wrong, but there again maybe all sponsorship in sport is wrong ?

Aye. £130m owed to Mike Ashley... £3m owed to the bank.

(Which of course it is)

I dont think its anything to do with being up our own arses tbh.

i wonder how many would have noticed the advertising if attention hadn't been drawn to it by the likes of this ?

have to admit i didn't notice the new advertising on the electronic boards as described by bowlingcrofty.

i wonder how many would have noticed the advertising if attention hadn't been drawn to it by the likes of this ?

have to admit i didn't notice the new advertising on the electronic boards as described by bowlingcrofty.

Those boards were already there, why would you particularly notice anything new on them? Can't remember where you sit but are you saying you failed to notice the Sports Direct sign on the Gallowgate which is as big as 'Newcastle United' on the East Stand?

I'm wondering what money it will bring in (in response to the post above mine). Your post didn't answer that. ;)

I'm guessing that it will bring in nothing directly, to date though we've had around £20 million a season from Ashley which he gets from the company which he has the major shareholding in so we're getting money indirectly.  Even if he eventually gets his money back he's saved the club £millions in interest payments.

Those boards were already there, why would you particularly notice anything new on them? Can't remember where you sit but are you saying you failed to notice the Sports Direct sign on the Gallowgate which is as big as 'Newcastle United' on the East Stand?

i sit in the gallowgate and the way bowlingcrofty was describing the other bits i thought they must've been new.

I'm wondering what money it will bring in (in response to the post above mine). Your post didn't answer that. ;)

I'm guessing that it will bring in nothing directly

Why bother then? Again, this is in response to the person who posted that we need to do this because we need the money.

Why bother then? Again, this is in response to the person who posted that we need to do this because we need the money.

Where does Ashley make his money that he puts into the club?  Indirectly if he gains then we gain, he'll not have a lot of cash sitting in his current account.  If he has any sense then he will have his money working for him and it will not be easy to get at.

Where does Ashley make his money that he puts into the club? Indirectly if he gains then we gain, he'll not have a lot of cash sitting in his current account. If he has any sense then he will have his money working for him and it will not be easy to get at.

So you believe that this advertising will improve Sports Direct sales in Newcastle, meaning Ashley has more money to spend on us? Aside from the fact that I highly doubt that will be the case, whenever people suggest Ashley can take money from NUFC to Sports Direct they are roundly shouted down by others who say this isn't possible and/or is illegal in some way (I don't know the full ins and outs personally). Why then can it happen the other way around?

What money will it bring in? Considering Arsenal get £6.5m a year from Emirates.

To be fair, Ashley has put in £20 million a year so indirectly we've had more than it will be worth.

Has he really? Isnt he just loaning his OWN money to HIS club.

So you believe that this advertising will improve Sports Direct sales in Newcastle, meaning Ashley has more money to spend on us? Aside from the fact that I highly doubt that will be the case, whenever people suggest Ashley can take money from NUFC to Sports Direct they are roundly shouted down by others who say this isn't possible and/or is illegal in some way (I don't know the full ins and outs personally). Why then can it happen the other way around?

I'm not sure if Sports Direct sales will go up in Newcastle because of the adverts.  As for moving money, Ashley will get paid as a Director and will get a dividend as a Share Holder so he'll not be directly moving money from one to the other.  If he was taking a wage from us then nobody could stop him putting that money into Sports Direct if that's what he wanted to do with it.

I'm not sure if Sports Direct sales will go up in Newcastle because of the adverts. As for moving money, Ashley will get paid as a Director and will get a dividend as a Share Holder so he'll not be directly moving money from one to the other. If he was taking a wage from us then nobody could stop him putting that money into Sports Direct if that's what he wanted to do with it.

So everyone who claimed Ashley couldn't possibly be pocketing money from NUFC was talking bollocks then? I'm not saying he is btw.