Kilgallon is a filthy mackem

Theregulars

Aye Ashley only thinks money, but surely even he can see that in keeping colo will be worth far more money in a couple of seasons than it would be for the short term.

He's decided he's not selling until the end of the season now, and if it costs him 2 million to gain 50 hopefully in 6 months time he'll do it.

I cant see us buying in January really. Reckon the fat lazy c**t will just sit on his fat arse, let the clock run down and f**k off with considerably more than he'd get now.

Having Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Kilgallon plus the odd showing of Kadar would have you sorted for centrebacks as a promoted club.

Yeah it would probably just about do for our first season, especially as we will need a lot of players in the summer.

Will we have to give Colo more time to adjust in the Premiership seeing as he won't have been playing in that league this year?

IMO he'll be 33% better in the Premiership than he was last year, as he's ironed out 1 out of 3 major flaws which he consistently showed during our slide into the Championship. Those flaws being:

1) Twatting around with the ball at his feet instead of clearing his lines/punting the ball forward when put under pressure.

2) Being s*** in recovery situations, e.g. where he's been turned by his man and needs to make up ground or put in a last ditch slide tackle/block.

3) Being turned too easily because he likes to get close to his man and try to nick the ball away, then reacts too slow, as though it takes him a few seconds to realise the ball is going in behind him instead of where he wants it to go (or is used to it going from his La Liga days), i.e. in front of him.

The first one, he's sorted to an adequate degree imo. Still takes risks, but these tend to be safer ones. If he's closed down now whilst he's in the centre, he'll punt it, whereas last season he refused to do that and on several occassions played the team into trouble because of it.

The second problem, I don't think he's resolved. We've not come across any decent pacey strikers in the Championship, so he's not been tested all that much in this sense. He needs to be dead on accurate and consistent with his positioning in order to compensate for his weakness in this area, but clearly he's not. I don't think it's in his armoury to be able to slide in effectively or go to ground quickly/accurately, just like it's not in Jonas' armoury to cross the ball like normal wingers can. Therefore, this will remain a problem.

Third one, same as the second to an extent. Maybe he has improved his reaction/reading, it's fair to assume that he may be more aware of how the game is often played in the Premiership as opposed to La Liga, but he's not being tested as much in this division, so we won't really know until he is tested.

£5m!! Isn't his contract up in 6 months?

yes but it is the mirror we're talking about here and some clubs can be notably stubborn on the price. That may have been the price in the summer when we asked but now that hes down to 6 months and doesnt look like signing a new deal who knows

Guest sicko2ndbest

Kilgallon has a lot of power here. He wants out, Sheff Utd wont want him to leave in the summer for nothing so i can see a compromise occuring. He comes on loan to us with a loan fee attached plus paying his wages with the balance to be paid at the end of the season. I can see us getting him for 1.5mil

As good as Coloccini is doing at the moment I have no faith in him to replicate it when/if we go up. Technically he's sound but the mixture of speed and physicality in the Premier League simply doesn't suit his game. He's a continental defender.

I don't know a lot about Kilgallon, but from the little I've seen he's a great Championship defender. Whether he can translate that into becoming a good Premier League defender I do not know.

Ideally i'd like to keep both Taylor and Colo while bringing in Kilgallon but that's not how it works at St. James' nowadays.

If we are talking about what we need for this league then Colo with Kadar as back up is good enough, however if we are looking at potential premier league players we SHOULD be looking at better than Kilgallon. Players like Upson and Hangeland should be on our radar in the summer, even Sunderland could manage that sort of ambition.

If we are talking about what we need for this league then Colo with Kadar as back up is good enough, however if we are looking at potential premier league players we SHOULD be looking at better than Kilgallon. Players like Upson and Hangeland should be on our radar in the summer, even Sunderland could manage that sort of ambition.

why would hangeland come to us? if he was going to leave fulham it would be for one of the sky 4 or city. As for upson, not ever been his biggest fan and this season he's looked appalling.

why would hangeland come to us? if he was going to leave fulham it would be for one of the sky 4 or city. As for upson, not ever been his biggest fan and this season he's looked appalling.

Why would Darren Bent join Sunderland? Because they showed the ambition and money to go and get him. You'd think that Hangeland would have bigger suiters than us but that isn't always the case.

The point i was trying to make is that we used to show ambition by going for big players even when we were shit. We finished 14th the summer we signed Owen.

If we don't find ambition again we will never find ourselves where we want to be and in the meantime we will see clubs like Sunderland, Spurs, Everton, Villa etc race away from us. By the way this is hypothetical talk as i realise we must get out of this league first.

Why would Darren Bent join Sunderland? Because they showed the ambition and money to go and get him. You'd think that Hangeland would have bigger suiters than us but that isn't always the case.

The point i was trying to make is that we used to show ambition by going for big players even when we were shit. We finished 14th the summer we signed Owen.

If we don't find ambition again we will never find ourselves where we want to be and in the meantime we will see clubs like Sunderland, Spurs, Everton, Villa etc race away from us. By the way this is hypothetical talk as i realise we must get out of this league first.

yes and the owen deal worked out so well didn't it. the signings we should be looking at are younger more promising players like what everton have done in recent times by signing the likes of lescott and jagielka etc get them cheap and make them into good players not just sign someone with a big reputation, we tried that before it didn't work

yes and the owen deal worked out so well didn't it. the signings we should be looking at are younger more promising players like what everton have done in recent times by signing the likes of lescott and jagielka etc get them cheap and make them into good players not just sign someone with a big reputation, we tried that before it didn't work

Owen didn't work out for a variety of reasons but the principle remains the same.

You pay good money for good players. All the big clubs in the world do it Man Utd, Chelsea etc, now i'm not saying we have the resources of these clubs but why should n't be trying to match what Spurs and Villa are doing (when we are in the premiership)?

Villa; Young 9m, Cuellar 7m, Milner 12m etc

Spurs; Modric 14m, Bassong 9m, Bent 16m, Bentley 14m

Sure it has mixed results but if we don't match these teams spending and general ambition, we will not get anywhere near them in the long term. As for Everton, it's taken them years to get where they are with Moyes and a couple of near misses of relegation along the way.

Spurs have spent £150m on players in 3 windows, no sane person would expect us to spend even a 5th of that in that time.

If we want to keep up with the these clubs we must at least compete with them (in the long term of course), if we don't we will not ever get back into Europe, which even now must be the long term goal.

If we sign Kilgallon's we won't stay in the premiership very long.