Kilgallon is a filthy mackem

Theregulars

I say it's about time we start trying to bring a few championship players through to the premiership, we used to do it well under Bobby and when you look at the success of Jagielka and Lescott at Everton, i'd say it was worth a gamble on him rather than use the money to buy a knackered old twat used to sitting on the bench at a top 6 team.

How are we going to sign someone better than Bassong?  It would take a massive scouting effort or lots of money and we don't have either.  Taylor and Colo is easily a good enough PL partnership (at least for survival), look at some of the crap at the bottom clubs.  Paul McShane!?!?!

The team that got relegated wasn't (on paper) the 18th worst team in division.  It was all the other crap during the year that conspired to send us down.

That and Nicky Butt.

We really can't ask for too much in the transfer windows. We need to assemble a squad that's capable of competing in the Premier League. From a 'skill/ability' point of view, i'd still say we had that last season (unfortunately no one gave a shit, we had a woeful manager, and generally is all snowballed into an inevitable relegation - did we have worse players than Hull/Stoke for eg?). We've lost a lot of those PL standard players and it's going to be incremental steps, whatever we do - mainly cos we're a shit catch and we don't have any finances.

If it means getting in a few also-rans like Kilgallon (if he's up to being a third choice CB), then so be it. We need to get up and stay up.

We didn't go down because of our centre-backs though. ???

Exactly. IMO, we couldn't compete with other teams in midfield with our combination of old/slow central players. Probably the same weakness will still be there if we get promoted this season.

Sheff Utd have conceded 30 goals already this season, including lots at home. He's a good championship defender tbf and I would have liked to have signed him for cover in August. It's a different story now though, Kadar has emerged, we're less than 6 months from the premiership and he'd be surplus in that league.

I would rather try and evaluate him than their defence as a whole, it's harsh to say they've conceeded lots so he must be s***.

Read it again.

We don't actually need him. We don't need Campbell either.

:laugh: The Forest and Scunny games being testament to our superb strength in depth at the back.

2 games from 18? We're strolling the league. I highly doubt either Kilgallon, and especially Campbell, will join to provide strength in depth.

Hence why MK is a target he will be cheap as he is out of contract the summer, we will give him more dosh than he was on at Sheff Utd but he wont get Colo size wages. He also has a bit of PL experience & we should be PL club next season.

When people talk of us doing a Leeds we have tried by signing most of there old PL boys.

Sheff Utd have conceded 30 goals already this season, including lots at home. He's a good championship defender tbf and I would have liked to have signed him for cover in August. It's a different story now though, Kadar has emerged, we're less than 6 months from the premiership and he'd be surplus in that league.

If we go up.

There are so many Championship players with bags of potential. Some of the best players in the Prem were playing in lower leagues until there mid-twenties. Now there are plenty who are considered £10 million+ players.

I wouldn't look at it as needing someone to replace Bassong. I think our defenders and strikers were easily good enough for midtable in the Prem when you look around other squads. The problem was our truely awful midfield which offered no creativity to supply the strikers, and no cover for the defence. Because of this the attack was toothless and the defence was put under too much pressure. Add into that poor managers, the farce behind the scenes, and a lack in confidence and we were going nowhere. For the Prem, at the moment though, only our defence is good enough, but even that lacks any depth. Major work is needed elsewhere if we go up, plus a few back ups at the back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob 1988

Hughton closes in on new defender

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/12/19/hughton-closes-in-on-new-defender-61634-25426456/

NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton has given his clearest indication yet that he will swoop for Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon in the January transfer window.

Blades boss Kevin Blackwell confirmed yesterday that Kilgallon, who is out of contract at the end of the season, will be leaving the South Yorkshire club in the New Year after failing to agree terms on a new deal.

He claimed Premier League clubs are keen to talk to the 25-year-old but United believe they are in pole position and Hughton said yesterday that he was being kept closely informed about the defender’s circumstances.

No fee has yet been agreed for the £2million-rated defender but The Journal understands that Kilgallon has told friends he is likely to end up at St James’ Park – meaning that the likes of Hull, Bolton and Burnley will be left disappointed.

“Yes, we’re interested (in Kilgallon),” Hughton said. “It's something we knew about and he'd be one of a few players who would be of an interest to us. His circumstances are being dealt with by Sheff U and he's contracted to Sheff U but I'm aware of his situation.”

If we go up.

There are so many Championship players with bags of potential. Some of the best players in the Prem were playing in lower leagues until there mid-twenties. Now there are plenty who are considered £10 million+ players.

Yep, where did Jagielka and Lescott come from?

Am i the only one look at him as a replacement for Colo? assuming he goes on a wage about a third of Colo, he is a bit younger and we would make profit on transfer (assuming we wait ti his contract expires and get him on pre-contract in jan). We would need another centreback but Colo on £70k+ wages is just rediculous, and we can do better for wages like that...

Am i the only one look at him as a replacement for Colo? assuming he goes on a wage about a third of Colo, he is a bit younger and we would make profit on transfer (assuming we wait ti his contract expires and get him on pre-contract in jan). We would need another centreback but Colo on £70k+ wages is just rediculous, and we can do better for wages like that...

The would be illegal