The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

If Wenger went out and bought those players and won the league though, wouldn't that prove that everything he's been doing at Arsenal is basically pointless?

The thing is that no one really knows who is pulling the strings at the Arse. Is it the board not releasing funds because they've got financial commitments, and using Wenger (and his reputation) as an excuse? Or is it really Wenger being stubborn and refusing to be seen to be pushed or pressured to do anything by anyone?

But if the youth isn't good enough and you have the resource to get players in why wouldn't you?

Because you believe in you philosophy and system, and that becomes almost more important than winning trophies.

As a manager though you have to be able to see the bigger picture IMO, Wenger is paid to win trophies by Arsenal and while I admire his philosophy and his history it is arguably this flaw which is unnecessarily holding them back.

If the philosophy/system isn't good enough you have to be able to see that and adapt as necessary.

If Wenger went out and bought those players and won the league though, wouldn't that prove that everything he's been doing at Arsenal is basically pointless?

In what way?

Well he's reconstructed the whole club from top to bottom with emphasis on youth, and developing players to play the Arsenal way.

I just mean I can see why he's reluctant to admit that it isn't going to work this time around and go out and bring in half a team.

If something isnt working then its his natural duty to at least try and tinker it, change it the plan in some way. To refuse to do that because it would be admitting he's made some mistakes is arrogance in the extreme, and probably partly the problem.

And its not half a new team - I think in general everyone agrees that a Centre-back, Central Midfielder, and Striker would improve Arsenal's chances of winning the league immensley. Buying the good players isnt easy obviously, but surley Scott Dann from Birmingham would improve their defense, add more grit & physicality which is what theyre lacking. Someone in the middle who puts his foot in and shows leadership & organisation. A more physical striker to give more variation, and to actually make use of Gibbs bombing forward putting in crosses (Demba Ba might have been decent for them).

Its unfair on the young players out there who have no experience to look to, no leader to guide them through games when it gets tough, hes putting it all on their shoulders and theyre not going to develop to their full poential surley in that kind of set up.

The problem is the size of the squad we NEED to get rid of a few players

GK: Szczesny, Fabianski, Mannone, Almunia

FBL: Gibbs, Traore

FBR: Sagna, Jenkinson

DC: Vermaelen, Djourou, Squillaci

DC: Koscielny, Miquel

CM: Song, Frimpong

CM: Wilshere,

AMC: Ramsey, Diaby, Rosicky

AML: Gervinho, Arshavin, Miyaichi

AMR: Walcott, Chamberlain

S: RvP, Chamakh, Bendtner

So much dead wood, the ones in red I'd get rid of and bring in a CB, LB, CM, Winger and Striker. Not going to happen is it? Been playing too much FM I think.

Arsenals kids looked pretty good yesterday. Frimpong despite a stupid haircut and a rash challenge looked real good, and the defender Miquel who was rushed on looked good too.  Would love to have youth depth like that in our club

Rumour has it that Bolton (and Crewe......) have enquired about Miquel.

Frimpong is very good, everybody I have spoken to since the game yesterday (rash tackle aside) have been raving about him!

But if the youth isn't good enough and you have the resource to get players in why wouldn't you?

Because you believe in you philosophy and system, and that becomes almost more important than winning trophies.

As a manager though you have to be able to see the bigger picture IMO, Wenger is paid to win trophies by Arsenal and while I admire his philosophy and his history it is arguably this flaw which is unnecessarily holding them back.

If the philosophy/system isn't good enough you have to be able to see that and adapt as necessary.

The philosphy in terms of style of play has become so one-deminsional and actually boring a lot of the time imo, if you look past the tv hype. Like I said, tippy tappy football, most the time trying to score a goal by walking in the net, no long shots, no bullet headers, when they actually put a cross in the box against us at SJP I didnt feel in any danger as a fan at all, because they've only got Van Persie 'up there' but he drifts to the wing/deep etc anyway.

Arsenals kids looked pretty good yesterday. Frimpong despite a stupid haircut and a rash challenge looked real good, and the defender Miquel who was rushed on looked good too.  Would love to have youth depth like that in our club

Rumour has it that Bolton have enquired about Miquel and Crewe...

Frimpong is very good, everybody I have spoken to since the game yesterday (rash tackle aside) have been raving about him!

Yep, all he needs is to get rid of thte stupid haircut and he would be quite the player.  He showed some real skill yesterday (and then Ballsed it all up with a stupid challenge when riding a yellow. And that efirst yellow was so pointless....not sure what he was trying to do there)

Rumour has it that Bolton have enquired about Miquel and Crewe...

Yep, all he needs is to get rid of thte stupid haircut and he would be quite the player.  He showed some real skill yesterday (and then Ballsed it all up with a stupid challenge when riding a yellow. And that efirst yellow was so pointless....not sure what he was trying to do there)

It was his enthusiasm that caught him out, something he should learn from.

The philosphy in terms of style of play has become so one-deminsional and actually boring a lot of the time imo, if you look past the tv hype. Like I said, tippy tappy football, most the time trying to score a goal by walking in the net, no long shots, no bullet headers, when they actually put a cross in the box against us at SJP I didnt feel in any danger as a fan at all, because they've only got Van Persie 'up there' but he drifts to the wing/deep etc anyway.

I totally agree, meant the philosophy of youth. At their peak, they played it like Man United do, great football but mix it up too.

I totally agree, meant the philosophy of youth. At their peak, they played it like Man United do, great football but mix it up too.

I always remember their first 11 from the late-90s, probably because I was a kid and you pay more attention then.

Seaman / Dixon Adams Keown Winterburn / Parlour Vieira Petit Overmars / Anelka Bergkamp

What a side that was, the perfect balance in every sense.  Really liked watching Overmars play in particular.

I always remember their first 11 from the late-90s, probably because I was a kid and you pay more attention then.

Seaman / Dixon Adams Keown Winterburn / Parlour Vieira Petit Overmars / Anelka Bergkamp

What a side that was, the perfect balance in every sense.  Really liked watching Overmars play in particular.

Indeed & it was the same with the Invincibles team...

Lehmann/Lauren Campbell Toure Cole/ Pires Gilberto Vieira Ljungberg/ Bergkamp / Henry

Can mix it and play it.

"Liam Brady was a panelist on Irish TV station RTE's Soccer show last sat. When asked why Arsenal haven't signed anyone of note he very cautiously said that Arsenal had tried to sign Marquee players but the stumbling block was always wages. He went on to say that the wages Arsenal could afford (or are willing to pay), meant they will be shopping in different stores to the Man Utd/City/Chelsea's of the world."

"Liam Brady was a panelist on Irish TV station RTE's Soccer show last sat. When asked why Arsenal haven't signed anyone of note he very cautiously said that Arsenal had tried to sign Marquee players but the stumbling block was always wages. He went on to say that the wages Arsenal could afford (or are willing to pay), meant they will be shopping in different stores to the Man Utd/City/Chelsea's of the world."

Which is why Wenger has done an amazing job of even hanging onto those clubs coat tails. If Arsenal sacked him, they would lose the ability to sign young players who's value increased and kept then financially powerful. Arsenal simply can't afford to sack him.

I tend to think that it's in the striking positions that Arsenal's lack of competitiveness in the market tends to hit them. These days, they wouldn't be able to land Bergkamp, or keep Henry for as long as they did. They have to settle for Van Persie, Gervinho and Arshavin - good players obviously, but the top ones are elsewhere.