The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

Mertesacker, Hargreaves and Gilardino would have them challenging Chelsea.

Vermaelen is meant to be the Mertesacker

Eduardo is meant to be the Gilardino

If Song can be a little bit more consistent and aggressive he would be better than Hargreaves

I still think they need a trully world class keeper before anything else. Almunia does not inspire confidence. As someone mentions they need another more established CB - if either Gallas or  Vermaelen is injured they would have no trusted cover, unless you count Senderous or Djourou, or unless Song matures.

They should buy Gourcuff, Gignac and Mexes. Sawted.

Mexes would be eaten alive in the Premiership, one of the most overrated players around. Vermaelen & Gallas are miles better.

They just need some physical prescence in midfield and maybe another striker.

They should buy Gourcuff, Gignac and Mexes. Sawted.

Mexes would be eaten alive in the Premiership, one of the most overrated players around. Vermaelen & Gallas are miles better.

They just need some physical prescence in midfield and maybe another striker.

If Ashley has to let Alan Smith go for £10 million+ then so be it O0

I like their youth policy but its shifted too far that way. There has to be a balance between "one for the future" signings and sensible signings for the first team (not necessarily big money, just ones that justify the price tag), and for me Arsenal don't buy enough for 'now'.

Totally agree.

Guest Heneage

I like their youth policy but its shifted too far that way. There has to be a balance between "one for the future" signings and sensible signings for the first team (not necessarily big money, just ones that justify the price tag), and for me Arsenal don't buy enough for 'now'.

You could argue that's what Arshavin was, they just need to make more than one per season. Maybe he just thinks its too much to intergrate more than one  big player into the squad per year.

I'm sure I read they have a crazy number of trialists and young players coming in and out of the club every year, so really while Wenger has a good eye to develop a player it would appear sometimes it is a case of 'Every blind squirrell will eventually find a nut.'

Arsenal are massively popular both in Britain and in the world so fromt hat point of view I personally don't see there need to change. However, I do agree that as an Arsenal fan I'd want trophies. Winning trophies would probably please everyone, providing their style of play didn't change.

I'd be gutted if the likes of Song-Denilson in midfield were sacrificed for say Toure...

I know completely that it would be an improvement for now, but i want in 2 years time them two being at the level of Toure!

Denilson will never be Toure. His physical compostion and style of play dictates that he really has no business anchoring a midfield. Decent CM but nothing more.

edit: not like Yaya is exactly tearing up trees in Spain. (and isn't especially young) You could probaly get him for a decent price

I'd be gutted if the likes of Song-Denilson in midfield were sacrificed for say Toure...

I know completely that it would be an improvement for now, but i want in 2 years time them two being at the level of Toure!

QUOTED FOR TRUTH !

A matured Song + Denilson partnership will be similar to Alonso + Mascherano. And a matured Song + Denilson partnership would be so important to Arsenal perennially weak back 4. A matured Song + Denilson partnership would be devastating. Both more than capable to thread a killer ball and both very competent in destroying play.

If I was an Arsenal fan I would be ecstatic to be developing brilliant young players and playing great football. I honestly wouldn't give a fuck about winning anything... just going every week would be a joy.

This is why I think it's a stupid thing to criticise them for basically not being a different club. They are what they are... there are only so many trophies and they'll win one eventually.

Guest neesy111

If I was an Arsenal fan I would be ecstatic to be developing brilliant young players and playing great football. I honestly wouldn't give a fuck about winning anything... just going every week would be a joy.

This is why I think it's a stupid thing to criticise them for basically not being a different club. They are what they are... there are only so many trophies and they'll win one eventually.

we had exactly the same under the entertainers, people will say we didn't win the premiership, but my god wasn't it a joy to watch, you loved going to games then

I guess we shouldn't have signed Ibrahimovic and kept developing Bojan, then.

Wegner is just too stubborn. And Arsenal fans sometimes buy their own hype. You can develop your youngsters and add the 2-3 pieces to be credible challengers and everything will be just fine.

these days i find arsenal the least hateable of the big teams and for that reason i'd like to see them do well. i thought this year they genuinely could challenge and they still can but as usual doubts are creeping in and they don't have the expererience in their squad. not many in their squad have gone the distance before.

i think wenger's not far off getting it absolutely right, they always seem to be a player away from greatness. they've lost the balance they had when the likes of vieira, petit, bergkamp and henry had plenty experience under their belt. i think wenger is aware of the situation, let's not forget that he has signed Arshavin and Vermaelen, both excellent signings and both players with plenty of experience. i think he has tried to address the situation but the problem is they also lost Toure and Adebayor so it's not really progress is it?

if they can keep their best young players, they should be very strong in a couple of years but in the meantime they need another Arshavin/Vermaelen type of signing, an experienced player in his peak years.

Another striker is coming in in January, you could say, in hindsight, a transfer window too late but none of us expected this for Van Persie! I think it will be Dzeko or Chamakh. Probably Dzeko but only if Wolfsburg don't qualify for the latter stages of the Champions League, it will only be Chamakh if Bordeaux are desperate for a fee now instead of a free in the summer!!

Another midfielder NEEDS to come in, because Denilson/Fabregas/Diaby/Ramsey ISN'T enough for the formation we are playing at the moment against stronger teams with the two deeper lying midfielders, when Song is at the African nations i will be scared if a replacement isn't brought. The only one of them 4 midfielders that can break up play that isn't ours is Denilson!

• 1 year later...