The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

Perhaps if he took cups like the Carling Cup seriously, the likes of those three you mentioned might believe they can win stuff there and not want to leave, meaning they could add players to those rather than replace them.

I was just saying he hadn't spent much money.  I'm not saying whether its right or wrong it's just a fact.

Guest neesy111

Aren't they riding on a lot of debt because of their stadium?

It's strange though, Arsenal just look 2-3 buys away from a title challenge, and they never do. For example not replacing Adebayor this season. Surely Van Persie stepped up his game, but his injury record is there for everybody to see, and Eduardo and Bendtner are well... not very good.

Also one injury to one of their CBs and they are fucked.

yes around 250m as we speak, but it's mortgaged against their stadium i.e. newcastle did the same when we extended our stadium, but they've managed to pay off around 100m last 2 seasons, + they are making a lot of money from converting highbury into an exclusive flat complex

technically arsenal are the richest club in the world, their turnover was around 250m,

Pie-in-the-sky talk, but I'd love to see how Rooney would fare at Arsenal. Reckon he'd fit in well there and would find alot more joy in Arsenal's style of play than he is currently getting with ManU, where he's stagnated to an extent. Arsenal would get someone capable of both adapting to their "walk it into goal" philosophy, as well as providing something different when it's needed (drive, aggression, directness, bit of physicality, shooting unexpectedly from range). Perfect fit at this point in time.

Pie-in-the-sky talk, but I'd love to see how Rooney would fare at Arsenal. Reckon he'd fit in well there and would find alot more joy in Arsenal's style of play than he is currently getting with ManU, where he's stagnated to an extent. Arsenal would get someone capable of both adapting to their "walk it into goal" philosophy, as well as providing something different when it's needed (drive, aggression, directness, bit of physicality, shooting unexpectedly from range). Perfect fit at this point in time.

Aye, he's only scored ten goals in thirteen games in the league O0

I agree with the rest of your post though :thup:

Guest Heneage

Basically, they need a new Vieira.

They get over run in midfield far too easily against the big teams nowadays.

Thus why he wanted Melo.

I get the impression that he's loathe to pay what he considers to be over the odds, I also get the impression that he doesn't want anyone there who doesn't want to be there, hence why they've let a fair few players leave and why they've not brought others in. People always talk of Arsenal having a wage structure, so perhaps he feels that it would be unfair to break that in order to bring in a particular player and perhaps he worries that if he did it would cause problems with the rest of the squad.

Speaking as a Newcastle fan, if we were as good as they are I'd cream my pants, they're pretty much the best "genuine" club in the league. By "genuine" I mean one whose position isn't distorted by having a filthy rich benefactor - although you could argue that ManU are also, I guess. For them to be up there competing against the unlimited budget brigade and not only that, but making money at the same time, just shows how good the people running that club are at their jobs, and who's the key member of that team? Wenger, that's who. The bloke's a fucking genius and if you think differently then I think you're insane.

Why have Arsenal got no cash to splash?

Property crash has hit them hard as they invested/loaned millions so they could  build on the old Highbury site & then the crunch happened. The extra revenue from the new stadium more than covers the amount needed to be paid back each year for the stadium being built but the money they borrowed for Highbury Square development & the lack of income it is/has made is fucking killing them.

Mertesacker, Hargreaves and Gilardino would have them challenging Chelsea.

Hargreaves to give their medical staff some more practise?

A fit Hargreaves, obviously.

is there a thing as a fit hargreaves?

Arsenal need some fucking testicles in midfield.

It's all very well passing the ball beautifully, but if you're slightly suspect in defence, and your midfield consists of artful pansies and puts pressure on said defence, you'll get nowhere, but you'll pick up plenty of plaudits.

Arsenal need some f***ing testicles in midfield.

It's all very well passing the ball beautifully, but if you're slightly suspect in defence, and your midfield consists of artful pansies and puts pressure on said defence, you'll get nowhere, but you'll pick up plenty of plaudits.

aye, fabregas's expansivness of the=is season seems to be at the expense of his positioning and ball winning of last.

That's pretty true. One of the things you'll notice if you look at Barça stats, is that we top the passes completed list, but also the balls won list. Xavi and Iniesta tackle quite a bit for being small creative midfielders. That's something that Rijkaard brought to coaching when he first came: there aren't ball-winning midfielders, just midfielders.

Wenger's faith in the youth system at Arsenal is admirable, but i just wish he'd play some first-teamers in the later stages of the Cups. I can't believe he keeps sacrificing trophies just to prove that his kids are good. We get it, but don't be an idiot and just start winning trophies man. If he'd only stuck 3 or 4 senior players in there (as well as Silvestre) they could have won tonight.

Wenger's faith in the youth system at Arsenal is admirable, but i just wish he'd play some first-teamers in the later stages of the Cups. I can't believe he keeps sacrifices trophies just to prove that his kids are good. We get it, but don't be an idiot and just start winning trophies man. If he'd only stuck 3 or 4 senior players in there (as well as Silvestre) they could have won tonight.

Rosicky, Eboue, Song and Silvestre. There, that's four ;)

I don't think he's doing so much to prove a point as he is to blood his youngsters. For 18 year old kids to get to play a quarter final against world class players will do them a world of good.

Wenger's faith in the youth system at Arsenal is admirable, but i just wish he'd play some first-teamers in the later stages of the Cups. I can't believe he keeps sacrifices trophies just to prove that his kids are good. We get it, but don't be an idiot and just start winning trophies man. If he'd only stuck 3 or 4 senior players in there (as well as Silvestre) they could have won tonight.

Rosicky, Eboue, Song and Silvestre. There, that's four ;)

I don't think he's doing so much to prove a point as he is to blood his youngsters. For 18 year old kids to get to play a quarter final against world class players will do them a world of good.

Thats true, but this isn't some pre-season cup, its a major (ish) trophy. And as a manager thats went 4 years without one, I just think he should alter his priorities. Not that he's in danger of being sacked though.

It's a cliche but Arsenal are weak physically and mentally. They will never win anything serious as currently constituted. Outside of a few exceptions many of their player don't have fight and give up far too easily. I watched the Chelsea match and it astounded me how physically dominant Chelsea were. Essien, Obi, and Ivanovic basically strugged of the challenges of Arsenal's midfield/attack and I thought they resorted to rather desperate dirty fouling instead of defending. For me the main problem is defence. One problem is that the fullbacks are constanly pushing up (though producing little and having no targets to aim for), there are no DM's and this leaves the centrebacks under constant pressure. Every team in the Premiership can threaten their goal.