The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

Although it won't happen, I'd love for Wenger to go out and spend big money on somebody like Hazard, a new centre half, midfielder and striker and for them to win the title this season. Mainly just to prove all of his critics wrong, as he has done a fantastic job at Arsenal, and I'm getting a bit sick of the spoilt Arsenal fans and the way they're going on at the moment.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they haven't won anything since he ditched 4-4-2? As they were always best under Wenger when they had two ball winners in the middle of the park, such as Vieira/Petit or Vieira/Gilberto. Then he had the wingers chipping in with a lot of goals, as well as the two strikers.

Agree with the first point Tooj, as for the second, I think that's more down to the calibre of players he's had since then.

I think it's a bit of both, as he hasn't had anybody in the midfield doing that role. As I know Song plays that role, but he's not disciplined enough to do so IMO.

He's come in for a lot of unfair criticism. The challenge he's got is to bring in players who are better than the ones he's got, but who are also not being chased by the other major CL clubs, because he can't compete with the salaries they're offering. That's a fairly narrow field, and he's ended up relying more and more on developing his young players.

It's all very well the Gooners shouting at him to buy someone, but who exactly?

It's not so much that Arsenal have slipped back over the last few years, as that other clubs (Chelsea, Man City) who are financed by oil money have muscled in on their territory and only Man U have been able to keep up financially. It's no wonder that Wenger is hoping that the FFP rules will have some bite.

That article seems like complete and utter bullshit, but it very much sounds like Wenger not settling for a player who doesn't make the team a whole lot better but I think everybody knows that is his opinion.

Think Wenger and Arsenal should sever ties tbh. He's a brilliant manager, but he's no Ferguson. And personally I'm sick of the sight of him.

I hope they do sack him as that will be the end of their CL days for sure. Maybe we can start competing with them again.

Apparently the Arsenal board are forcing his hand to make a marquee signing.

While I do respect his single-mindedness, he's failed to deliver where it matters - results. Prissy football can only get you so far. Unless the Arsenal board are happy making huge profits on the youngsters they bring through, and want nowt more from him.

As mentioned somewhere else on here....the more Newcastle follow the Arsenal plan, the more Arsenal follow the Newcastle plan.

Can't say that I disagree with the view not to overpay for players etc. At least not to the level of paying 150-200k per week.  Insane stuff, that's clearly not sustainable.

Guest Stephen927

Apparently the Arsenal board are forcing his hand to make a marquee signing.

Knowing Wenger he'll take that as signing Rafa Marquez on the cheap to shore up his defence.

Gunners fans are tenting at the prospect.

You do wonder how the author's found out all this stuff mind.  "Wenger did this, the board said that", it just reads like he's heard a couple of rumours and written his own story from there.

I used to really like Arsenal but they get on my tits a bit now, Wenger comes out with the same old shite every single year and it's a bit sad.

Used to love watching Arsenal play too. Their passing, pace, skill and direct play. You had Vieira, Pires, Parlour, Edu, Ljunberg, Bergkamp, Henry, backed up by the grit of players like Campbell and Keown, and even Grimondi, and players like Wiltord, Reyes and Kanu who contributed their fair share. They had everything, and had the perfect balance. Then Wenger decided to change that ethos which was successful to having the team full of small, young players, with experience largley thrown out the window & disregarded.

Now they play tippy-tappy football on the half way line, are not allowed to shoot, and play practically with no striker - Van Persie on his own? Which makes any cross into the box utterly pointless, and any set peice pointless, as their centre backs arent exactly beasts either (I know Djouru scored against us, but it was very much a rarity). Then Wenger patronises the fans by mentioning Man City's spending, value for money, 'not going to put the club in jeorpady' etc. No-one is asking for Man City spending, and 9/10 you are always going to pay a few million more than the player is worth/value etc. How would Scott Dann put the clubs fianance in jeorpady? It wouldnt, so dont disrespect the fans with the same cliche's. Thats all without his comments on match inccidents and behavoiur on the touch-line. And Im talking from the point of view of what they were only around 5years ago - the immense team, style and success he had built up - and how he's allowing it to just dwindle away. Obviously they are still one of the better teams in the league, but the change of philosophy, and subsequent stubborness - refusing to simply use common sense - is crazy really.

Although it won't happen, I'd love for Wenger to go out and spend big money on somebody like Hazard, a new centre half, midfielder and striker and for them to win the title this season. Mainly just to prove all of his critics wrong, as he has done a fantastic job at Arsenal, and I'm getting a bit sick of the spoilt Arsenal fans and the way they're going on at the moment.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they haven't won anything since he ditched 4-4-2? As they were always best under Wenger when they had two ball winners in the middle of the park, such as Vieira/Petit or Vieira/Gilberto. Then he had the wingers chipping in with a lot of goals, as well as the two strikers.

Personally I'd drop RvP back from 9 to 10 or just off in the Bergkamp role and buy a nippy forward to go with a strong centre back and DM who are both leaders. Wengers biggest error was binning Gilberto.

If Wenger went out and bought those players and won the league though, wouldn't that prove that everything he's been doing at Arsenal is basically pointless?

Not at all. (Unless they went into serious financial problems as a result)

If Wenger went out and bought those players and won the league though, wouldn't that prove that everything he's been doing at Arsenal is basically pointless?

In what way?

Well he's reconstructed the whole club from top to bottom with emphasis on youth, and developing players to play the Arsenal way.

I just mean I can see why he's reluctant to admit that it isn't going to work this time around and go out and bring in half a team.

Personally I'd drop RvP back from 9 to 10 or just off in the Bergkamp role and buy a nippy forward to go with a strong centre back and DM who are both leaders. Wengers biggest error was binning Gilberto.

Totally agree, even though Van Persie's goal scoring record is quality, think they could easily afford to play with another striker as well. Saying that mind, to replace a player of Bergkamp's quality you're easily talking upwards of £50 million in today's market. As Bergkamp to me is the most technically gifted player to have graced English football post '92.