Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

I do wonder if Shearer being unhappy (if he was) became the catalyst for Shepherd getting rid of Robson and replacing him with Sourness.  Who apparently was a golfing buddy of Shearer

Either way Owen is a despicable runt and our worst ever signing

Seems even stranger that Owen wasnt even around at the time.

The best response I saw on this Twitter furore was the response by some guy Yogi @shaunYogi (apologies as I'm not familiar with the protocol mularky)

"If I was on a desert island with Michael Owen and a tin of corned beef, I'd eat Michael Owen and talk to the corned beef"

'Av it you insignificant mercenary dweeb.

Nothing there that we didn’t all strongly suspect at the time tbh. Very telling that the only way he could get anyone even remotely interested in his new book is to actually confess how much of an unprofessional, narcissistic, self important utter cunt he genuinely is. He’s got the personality of a fucked beige radiator and he’s an absolute shithouse to boot. Little twat is best off being ignored.

To be fair Owen rinsed Shearer if thats true

Not really like? The fact remains that Shearer didn't leave and continued to play and score goals through till his retirement, breaking records in the process that the likes of Owen would never get near to in his ultimately disappointing career. Owen is a mercenary hated by the fans of every single club he played for, his words are as brittle as his ankles.

The Middlesbrough game in that season encapsulated a lot.

Viduka: man of the match, immense

Martins: off the bench, scores

Lovenkrands: off the bench, scores

Owen: starts, does nothing, subbed

Even Carroll, on for only five minutes did more and was more of a threat than Owen.

However small a club he thinks we were, he wasn't a big fish in it and never even our best forward. In that relegation season alone there were 4 more useful forwards. Not to mention Ameobi who was probably on a par with him for useful/lessness.

By the way, when KK moved him deeper into midfield, he was Scholes like in his pomp and played some really good football. Owen was a very very good player at one point, never truly world-class, but he was close, very close. His attitude stunk though, he cared more about ego, image, England and horses and considered himself above LFC for some bizarre reason.

:mackems: :spit:

This for NUFC?  Was that when we had a good spell at the end of the season?  Where he played in behind Viduka and Martins?  He looked half decent for a few games, granted.  But he was nothing like Scholes, FFS and he didn't even play the same role. 

Some serious revisionist history here  :lol:

It was more a case of getting Owen out of the way without making a scene to allow to more useful and dangernous forwards to play. It improved the team around Owen and he looked less useless by being out of the firing line. Bit like bringing Fox in to allow Rob Lee to play centrally. It wasn't that Fox was better than Lee but that Lee would excel in that spot.

Even Carroll, on for only five minutes did more and was more of a threat than Owen.

However small a club he thinks we were, he wasn't a big fish in it and never even our best forward. In that relegation season alone there were 4 more useful forwards. Not to mention Ameobi who was probably on a par with him for useful/lessness.

I’m certain I weeped when Martins scored. I thought we were gonna stay up.

Was very emotional after that game too was adamant  that was gonna be the turning  point in our season/history and wed kick on  under Shearer lol

Was very emotional after that game too was adamant  that was gonna be the turning  point in our season/history and wed kick on  under Shearer lol

Will never forget that game. It was pure angst. I watched it in a pub and got very drunk. Guy who worked there had to tell me to cut the profanities. ”This is a family pub” :lol:

Robson wrote about all this in his last book iirc.

Aye I can't remember the specifics but it's definitely in there.

The disloyal cunt Shearer stayed and scored 60 more goals in three seasons.

EDIT: Actually, I think the link came at the end of the 2003/04 season in fairness (in which Shearer had scored 28 of those 60-odd goals), when Bobby wanted to put Kluivert and Bellamy together in the coming season. Turns out Shearer was justified in feeling he deserved to stay in the team seeing as Kluivert was basically a waste of space.

I'm sure Bobby had as much to do with the thought of letting Shearer go. I could be miles away but I recall something along the lines of Liverpool offering £3m and Bobby being just about okay with the thought of accepting it, but didn't in the end cos he knew the fans would be fuming.

But even if Shearer did fancy a move; A, that happens, so what? B, he didn't actually move. C, he continued to leave everything on the pitch for another two seasons, including reversing his decision to retire because he wanted the glory of the Newcastle record.

Anyway, this shite coming from a person like Owen? The man is the embodiment of the modern day mercenary. An utter, utter wanker.

Guest neesy111

Kluivert a waste of space I've heard it all now.  Our best partnership was Bellamy and Kluivert in 04/05 and Kluivert scored 1 less league goal than Shearer that season.

You've "heard it all" now you've heard Patrick Kluivert was a waste of space? :lol: I'll backtrack a bit but it's hardly that outlandish; he found the net a (just about) respectable amount of times, and had a few flashes but he was barely interested in playing for Newcastle. All attributes lined up, there was hardly anything between him and Shearer that season.