Danny Simpson (now retired)

Guest toonlass

To be fair, my point on Simpson and England last seasn was that after Johnson there was nobody else pulling up any trees.

Now Walker, Jones and even Smalling ot a degree have stepped up

Richards man. He looks the best of the lot.

:promotion:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/281823/Skye-is-limit-for-Newcastle-s-Danny-Simpson

SKYE IS LIMIT FOR NEWCASTLE'S DANNY SIMPSON

Saturday November 5,2011

By Niall Hickman

BILLY SHARP’S decision to play for Doncaster in midweek just three days after his newborn son died rekindled tough memories for Danny Simpson.

Newcastle defender Simpson spent weeks in hospital watching his baby daughter fight for her life in intensive care. She was born three months premature due to a bowel disorder.

Skye – so named as Simpson had to fly back from a pre-season tour of America to be at her bedside – pulled through and is now back home with her parents. But the memory of those endless visits to the Royal Victoria Infirmary next to St James’ Park, sometimes with his hair still wet from the shower after matches, will never leave.

“She is fine now,” said Simpson. “I’m getting the sleepless nights which I am not used to, but Skye is great. She is 8lb now which is still tiny for her age, but she is piling it on and feeding well.

“Me and my partner Stephanie are loving every minute of it. Our baby is smiling all the time and that makes us both feel great.

“It has been tough, I won’t deny that. Our families and the lads at the club have been brilliant.

“Playing in matches, if anything, took my mind off it. I could just concentrate on football, then straight after it would be back to hospital. I can’t begin to imagine what Billy Sharp and his family have gone through. Maybe playing in midweek helped him in a way and I can fully understand why he played. You just want to be on the pitch, with your mates, doing the job you get paid for.

“It helped me. For the 90 minutes you’re on the pitch you can, in the nicest possible way, blot everything else out. He showed amazing bravery though and words fail me with what he has been through.”