Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Swansea, West Brom and Wigan all have fundamentally attacking gameplans though, and a belief in movement off the ball and short passing.

Yeah, that was my point. We suck at these things, and I doubt the coaching staff even encourages such a mindset at all, so no surprise the majority of our defenders look scared of the ball. They look as though they're all afraid of making mistakes. No confidence whatsoever.

Guest neesy111

I reckon teams press us more this season so that ball goes to back to Simpson and Williamson and the long pass/ball which usually comes from that.

I reckon teams press us more this season so that ball goes to back to Simpson and Williamson and the long pass/ball which usually comes from that.

That happens already during last season and I was shouting with these 2 idiots we would never been able to play effectively on ground.

Course, that's the issue in a nutshell. If you have two defenders who can't play football, the ball coming back at the them will only end up one place... hoofed. Teams have worked out that they can't allow us any time and space now, and their approach is working.

Football's not all about technique though, especially as a defender.

There's a difference between being a 'technically gifted' defender like Coloccini or Santon, someone decent on the ball like Steven Taylor, and then not being able to kick a football with any consistency whatsoever like Simpson (and Williams fwiw).