Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Legend for me.  Anyway, delighted we're finally getting all that Sports Direct tat out of the ground.

What's everyone's thoughts on the font and styling for the new 'Newcastle United' sign?  Old style font with some decent backlighting and a crest would look good imo.

Edited by loki679

Legend for me. Shame he backed his pal  the last 2 years which has damaged his reputation within the only people that matters, nufc fans. Sadly I don't think he sees it (or cares) but it's not all or even a majority. All will be forgotten a few year down the line when Bruce was simply a bad dream.

8 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Legend for me.  Anyway, delighted we're finally getting all that Sports Direct tat out of the ground.

What's everyone's thoughts on the font and styling for the new 'Newcastle United' sign?  Old style font with some decent backlighting and a crest would look good imo.

Where's this?

On 26/04/2021 at 15:09, Anderson said:

Shearer was Newcastle United when I was a kid. I was 5 when he signed, 15 when he retired. I grew up watching the best centre forward the Premier League's ever seen knocking them in for his hometown team, breaking both club & league goal scoring records, wouldn't swap that for any amount of trophies/titles. :smitten: 

Legend for me, marra.

The point I was trying to make when I inadvertently derailed the other thread was that if Shearer is a legend then KK is something significantly higher. So let's say Keegan is a God. :cool:

Personally I loved Andy Cole more than Shearer. Maybe that's because he was part of the club's journey from obscurity through to one of the biggest clubs in the country. And even though Shearer was hands down a better all-round player.

I'm still not having Kevin Nolan as an icon though  [emoji38]

I think it's fair enough that there's differing degrees of Legend for Shearer and KK to both fall within it, especially when this is getting discussed by people who grew up at different times with different heroes.

Did someone say Nolan is an icon, though? :lol: I feel like cult hero more than suffices there.

Edited by wormy

Shearer is our greatest ever and one of the all time English greats. Record speaks for itself. His commitment to us speaks for itself. 

He’s completely entitled to his own opinion on who and how he associates with people we as a fan base may not like. 

He’s raised his family to be Toon mad, he has his box, he speaks mostly sense about us now that he’s not conflicted with his mate as manager…

To split hairs on this that or the other is mad to me. Legend for me. If it wasn’t for him I’d have never been hooked and fallen in love with this club. 

Is there a capacity limit to how many legends a club can have before the term becomes devalued; how many do we actually have? Gallagher, Milburn, Harvey, Keegan, Shearer... is there anyone else who deserve that highest of statuses?

What's the hierarchy of terms? Legend, icon, idol, hero, cult hero, fan favourite... 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t like Nolan at all. He’s been a cunt since he left, and arguably was here the season we went down 

:thup: Didn't word it too well; I wouldn't even put him in the cult hero bracket myself. Was just trying to talk down the mentalism of icon. :lol:

I was not really that big a fan of Shearer tbh, neither as a person or a player. I always felt that he wasn't as dynamic as someone like say, Ian Wright. But in hindsight, that was a shallow viewpoint. Shearer relied much more heavily on quality service, and for most of his NUFC career he never really had it. We spent a load of money on 3-4 good quality players, then filled the rest of the team with cheap and cheerful types. 

If we'd had a couple of hard working wide players with great delivery, he'd have scored a shit-ton more. So I now revise my opinion to legend. It was something less than that before. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was not really that big a fan of Shearer tbh, neither as a person or a player. I always felt that he wasn't as dynamic as someone like say, Ian Wright. But in hindsight, that was a shallow viewpoint. Shearer relied much more heavily on quality service, and for most of his NUFC career he never really had it. We spent a load of money on 3-4 good quality players, then filled the rest of the team with cheap and cheerful types. 

If we'd had a couple of hard working wide players with great delivery, he'd have scored a shit-ton more. So I now revise my opinion to legend. It was something less than that before. 

Mackem.

27 minutes ago, wormy said:

:thup: Didn't word it too well; I wouldn't even put him in the cult hero bracket myself. Was just trying to talk down the mentalism of icon. :lol:

Sorry, bit out of the loop, what's Nolan done to be a cunt? (Not debating it, just genuinely clueless :lol: )

Edited by SiLvOR