Alan Shearer

Weznufc

35 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was not really that big a fan of Shearer tbh, neither as a person or a player. I always felt that he wasn't as dynamic as someone like say, Ian Wright. But in hindsight, that was a shallow viewpoint. Shearer relied much more heavily on quality service, and for most of his NUFC career he never really had it. We spent a load of money on 3-4 good quality players, then filled the rest of the team with cheap and cheerful types. 

If we'd had a couple of hard working wide players with great delivery, he'd have scored a shit-ton more. So I now revise my opinion to legend. It was something less than that before. 

You're a brave person for admitting you felt that way. 

32 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Sorry, bit out of the loop, what's Nolan done to be a cunt? (Not debating it, just genuinely clueless :lol: )

There's more, but he supported Ashley when Rafa left, claiming that Rafa played the media to get the fans to like him. Claimed that Ashley was only ever trying to do he right thing for the fans.

32 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Sorry, bit out of the loop, what's Nolan done to be a cunt? (Not debating it, just genuinely clueless :lol: )

@ManDoon's feelings seem a bit stronger than mine over it so may be better placed to answer this. :lol: But I seem to recall he became quite the licker of Ashley's hoop at one point, and I think there were soundbites defending more than one of the shite managers we've had since he left the club.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You're a brave person for admitting you felt that way. 

Shearer is quite the calculating type tbh, he played his part in getting rid of Bellamy, he loved Souness too much, and tends to put his mates like Bruce above the club's interests. But that aside, he was a great striker, I was probably downgrading him a bit because he wasn't the quickest by the time he got to NUFC. At the time I thought he wasn't the same player after his knee op, but really I think he just got much better service at Blackburn than he ever did here. 

41 minutes ago, TRon said:

Shearer is quite the calculating type tbh, he played his part in getting rid of Bellamy, he loved Souness too much, and tends to put his mates like Bruce above the club's interests. But that aside, he was a great striker, I was probably downgrading him a bit because he wasn't the quickest by the time he got to NUFC. At the time I thought he wasn't the same player after his knee op, but really I think he just got much better service at Blackburn than he ever did here. 

The only thing that matters is when he put that shirt on he did his all for our (his) club and every time he did pull that shirt on, he did so to give 100% for the club, the team, his team-mates and any manager he played under, whether he liked them or not, as would any true Geordie. And I’m of the opinion he wouldn’t swap being our all-time top goalscorer for any number of trophies, he dreamed of being our greatest ever in a number 9 shirt as a bairn and he achieved that dream. You can’t buy that, no trophy at Man Utd would give Shearer the bairn growing up nor the man pulling on the shirt such a personal and amazing feeling. 

Never understood the Nolan love he was a good honest professional and had good leadership skills. That’s it. Nowhere near an icon. Given is an icon. Or Lee. We didn’t really miss him as Cabaye was twice the player. Nolan doesn’t even seem as fond or bothered about Newcastle as someone like Joey Barton or Enrique or Jonas or most from that group of lads that Hughton managed. 

Hattrick against Sunderland will probably get you there but I never liked him personally. He was good playing as a second striker but an atrocious midfielder. Carroll was so dominant during that time that he made Nolan and especially Barton look much better than they were without him.

On 11/11/2021 at 18:41, Billy Pilgrim said:

I dunno what bairns these days are like but when I was a kid growing up football was the only thing in the world that mattered. There was fuck all to do except go outside and play football anywhere that was flat enough. Everyone played football, everyone talked football, it was all we did.  Even now I think of all the people I know in my life, the ones I played football with are the ones I know the best. 

"Flat enough? You 'ad it lucky, sunshine.

"when I were a lad we'd play on Nun's Moor, with rolling hills. Near post was 7' and the far post was 5'

8 hours ago, HTT II said:

The only thing that matters is when he put that shirt on he did his all for our (his) club and every time he did pull that shirt on, he did so to give 100% for the club, the team, his team-mates and any manager he played under, whether he liked them or not, as would any true Geordie. And I’m of the opinion he wouldn’t swap being our all-time top goalscorer for any number of trophies, he dreamed of being our greatest ever in a number 9 shirt as a bairn and he achieved that dream. You can’t buy that, no trophy at Man Utd would give Shearer the bairn growing up nor the man pulling on the shirt such a personal and amazing feeling. 

He did it all for himself [no shame] and we were lucky to be blessed by his bountiful harvest. His love for the club is similar to Bruce's, professional. 

I know it's just a rumour, but I can well believe he'd turn down a position as ambassador, because the salary wasn't enough. He's also pals with Lineker who commands a pretty fortune for punditry not based on his skills as a pundit, but purely his status.  Being Gary Lineker for an hour.

Edited by Happinesstan

I think perhaps the fact that Keegan is a hopeless romantic and wears his heart on his sleeve naturally endears him that much more, than Shearer who is quite a cold logical steely determined personality. For how much Shearer achieved in the game and at Newcastle too definitely makes him a legend, it really can’t be disputed.

Keegan marries up superstar status (2 x Ballon Dor) with a down to Earth quality where he is a man of the people no matter their class. Much of that love and understanding of the area developed during his playing spell where as part of his commercial contract he had to speak at working mens clubs around Newcastle, as well as the fact it was his dads club. Shearer is also superstar status who sacrificed but is more aware of it in that sense. The one thing he isn’t is down to Earth, and don’t blame him, who is in this day and age, when you’ve achieved even a quarter of what he has? Even in these motd top 10 podcasts he does it’s become a running joke how much he selects himself in the top 10, no matter the subject. Keegan is the last vestige of a bygone era for one, and his willingness to come to a club at the very bottom and do his part in elevating it to its potential is what people will never forget. Whereas it’s hard to say if Shearer had chosen Man U or gone to Barca etc that he would have come ‘home’ to a struggling NUFC as he was so driven by personal success. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...