Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the leeds boss says he wont let beckford go til they get the right money and a suitable replacement.

why dont we offer them 1.5 mil + the loan of carroll / ranger on loan for the rest of the season.

I agree.

I reckon we'd get Beckford if we offer £1.5m + Ranger for rest of season. That would suit both parties as I feel Ranger would thrive at Leeds and Beckford would be ideal for us.

Anything other than them getting a proven goalscorer to replace beckford is not a suitable deal for them atall. I think Ranger will improve, but that takes time & its a risk in general let alone using him to replace someone whos already scored 20 this season. Carrolls the same, theyd laugh off both offers.

ok fair point

the leeds boss says he wont let beckford go til they get the right money and a suitable replacement.

why dont we offer them 1.5 mil + the loan of carroll / ranger on loan for the rest of the season.

I agree.

I reckon we'd get Beckford if we offer £1.5m + Ranger for rest of season. That would suit both parties as I feel Ranger would thrive at Leeds and Beckford would be ideal for us.

Anything other than them getting a proven goalscorer to replace beckford is not a suitable deal for them atall. I think Ranger will improve, but that takes time & its a risk in general let alone using him to replace someone whos already scored 20 this season. Carrolls the same, theyd laugh off both offers.

Just what kind of a proven goalscorer can a League 1 Leeds attract now? Somebody like Kevin Lisbie, Lee Hughes or Brett Pitman. Not sure if they'll have better options than Carroll and Ranger.

They'd snap our hands off if we offered Nile Ranger, I'm not sure if he would go there though.

I don't know whether to be excited or not about the possibility of Newcastle buying Beckford. The jury's still out on him cutting it in the Championship (never mind the Premiership). He's a gamble. If Newcastle buy him hopefully it will pay off like Bellamy did. With Ameobi, Carroll, Lovenkrands and Ranger on the books the fact that Hughton says he want another striker shows how much faith he has in our current strike force. I can't say I blame him.

I agree.

Is the right answer. Beckford offers up something that our current lot (bar Shola) does not, or else we wouldn't be in for him in the first place.

Shola plays on the shoulder of the last man and gets in behind defences? Really?

I was referring to goals, was that not bleedingly obvious?

Guest Stephen927

More likely Hooper tbh.

I think Shearergol has mentioned Leeds being interested in Hooper as a replacement for Beckford.

Just what kind of a proven goalscorer can a League 1 Leeds attract now? Somebody like Kevin Lisbie, Lee Hughes or Brett Pitman. Not sure if they'll have better options than Carroll and Ranger.

They'd snap our hands off if we offered Nile Ranger, I'm not sure if he would go there though.

Theres no reason to believe he'll start firing them in because he's stepped down a level, atleast not for a while anyway which isnt what theyd be after. Its an easier level yes, but he's surrounded by weaker players also - even though you could argue that point sadly. Any player thats already scoring a good sum of goals at this point is a better bet than them going for Ranger.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/07/hughton-assures-fans-over-jermaine-beckford-72703-25546236/

Also, i dont think that loaning out either Carroll/Ranger to them for the rest of the season to push the deal through is such a bad idea, mainly because its not an easy task to keep FIVE strikers happy all at once, so temporarily unloading one could work to keep everyone happy

I doubt they'd want another "highly rated youngster" on loan when they've just had Sam Vokes for a few months and he only scored one goal. They'll want someone proven.

I doubt they'd want another "highly rated youngster" on loan when they've just had Sam Vokes for a few months and he only scored one goal. They'll want someone proven.

Yeah but the problem there is that itll be tough for them to attract any proven scorers to a league one side, so hopefully they will have to settle for a youngen.

Strong words from Hughton there, hopefully it's not all made up! He does sound confident of bringing in some bodies.

Although the headline of that Lee Ryder article (about Beckford) is not supported by any quotes by Hughton in the article itself.  :shifty:

Guest Phil K

Shola's goalscoring record is almost as abysmal as his ability.

And your opinion of Nile Ranger's then ?

Shola is hardly top notch - but he DOES score.

He could do with Nile's PR manager, thats for sure !

Strong words from Hughton there, hopefully it's not all made up! He does sound confident of bringing in some bodies.

Problem is, we've heard it all before, haven't we ?

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/boss-i-expect-the-best-from-becks-20100107_2247585_1925961

United manager Simon Grayson says he expects Jermaine Beckford to continue perform at the highest level in a Leeds United shirt, despite the revelation that he has handed in a transfer request.

The striker handed in a transfer request on December 30 and after scoring the winner at Manchester United last weekend, Grayson is expecting his leading scorer to continue to demonstrate his ability until his future is known.

"There's too many scenarios that could happen, but while he is here, he is a Leeds United player and he will be considered for selection" said Grayson.

"If he plays on Saturday I expect him to do that and continue what he's been doing.

"You have to give him credit because there's been a lot of speculation since last summer. He was on the transfer list then he was off it, but he has got his head down and scored 20 goals already this season. We'll see his destiny.

"On Sunday he showed on a fantastic stage what he can do - the people behind him and the whole squad showed that too and I don't want that getting lost in all this - and he's scored five goals in three games now, and there's no reason why that won't continue."

The boss also expressed his disappointment that his transfer request had become public knowledge - and he insists that any decisions on the player's future will be made in the best interests of Leeds United.

"It's not ideal that it's come out," said the boss. "We didn't want to make it public knowledge because we didn't want any disruptions with what we are trying to do here.

"We wanted to keep it in-house and if we received an offer for him that we considered to be acceptable then we'd consider it. But we've said that all along.

"It was put into the public domain by whoever which is disappointing. I'm not like that. We try and do most of our business in-house and keep it under the wraps.

"Everyone is aware of the situation now, and if anything it highlights his position even more.

"The scenario from our side hasn't changed in that Jermaine will only leave the football club if we feel it is the right price for him. What's the right price? I'm not going into that, because as I've said we don't do our business in public.

"We don't have to accept the transfer request,  we'll do what is right and if that means keeping him we'll do it - or if it means selling him we'll do that. We have to get the right man if he goes to keep things on track - that's why whatever I do is in the best interests of the club.

"Any approaches will be discussed by us. I'm sure the interest will be drummed up because people want to improve their squads. He is a good player, but he has a price on his head.

"You do have to take into consideration from the person and representative that when they put in a transfer request it means that he wants to leave. Whatever the reasons, we'll take our stance and we'll dictate what we want to do."

“Something could happen at any time this month."

“The important thing for the supporters is that they know we are working very hard to get the players we are interested in."

“You never know what might happen."

“I know that the fans check the papers and the TV to see how we are getting on, and we are confident that come the end of the window we will bring in what we need.”

I think we have to stress that we are happy with the squad we’ve got. That’s probably the most important thing."

“We just have to supplement what we already have here."

“There are targets that we have in that position and we are still very confident we will bring in the right type of players.”

Just borrowing some of the quotes from 'Hughton' in that article.  How many of those have we heard regurgitated over the past five transfer windows.  I think the one in bold is the most worrying though....