Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

So is he back in training then?

Joey Barton’s injury comeback is put on ice

Jan 11 2010

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Joey Barton

JOEY BARTON’S comeback from injury has been delayed because of the big freeze.

The Chronicle understands that the Barton, recovering from a foot injury, has been restricted to United’s indoor pitch, with the player working around the clock on a one-on-one basis with physio Davey Henderson.

Toon boss Chris Hughton is likely to arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly in order to give Barton some vital match practice.

The reserve-team programme has been decimated due to the postponements of games at Lincoln City and the home clash with Rotherham United because of this week’s FA Cup replay with Plymouth and the crunch clash with West Brom at home next Monday.

Hughton now hopes that Barton can be available for first team duty by the start of next month.

Hughton told the Chronicle today: “We did anticipate Joey training with the team around January 24.

“He’s worked very, very hard.

“Some of his rehab has been affected a little by the conditions, because what he wanted to be doing was running outside.

“We don’t know how much that affects his comeback date.

“Of course, he’ll need a good period of time training with the team, and he’ll not get that until the end of the month or beginning of February.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=joey-barton-8217-s-injury-comeback-is-put-on-ice&method=full&objectid=25572427&siteid=72703-name_page.html

Oh, well. There's always next season, eh?

Story of Barton's life at Newcastle. According to that Barton isn't too far away from figuring. If he's up and running in three weeks or so there's still a fair chunk of the season in which he could in theory play a big part. Depends how much he wants it I suppose, but we could desperately use a midfielder with some passing ability.

i wonder if barton is actually fit but the club thought that if they paid him a bit extra to stay away we may keep some of our already thin for numbers squad out of casualty.

I didn't see much of Barton before he was signed, but he's never looked fit in the proper sense of the word when playing for us. His running off the ball hasn't looked much better than Nolan's when he has been available. Wouldn't like to speculate why.

In spite of all his shortcomings, he is still an excellent footballer and prior to buying him from City, he was one of their best players. Obviously, the continuous social problems he has experienced has definitely affected his form plus a catelogue of serious injuries which would be debilitating.

I believe that on his day, he is possibly the best footballer at the club. If, AND IT IS A BIG IF, he can show maturity and put his past behind him as well as fully recovering from his injuries, then Joey Barton could be that creative genius we are looking for.

However, he NEEDS to be played in the middle of the park and not stuck out wide where he is less affective.

If I were Hughton, I would be buying Routledge to play on the right, Jonas on the left, Smith and Barton in the middle.

In spite of all his shortcomings, he is still an excellent footballer and prior to buying him from City, he was one of their best players. Obviously, the continuous social problems he has experienced has definitely affected his form plus a catelogue of serious injuries which would be debilitating.

I believe that on his day, he is possibly the best footballer at the club. If, AND IT IS A BIG IF, he can show maturity and put his past behind him as well as fully recovering from his injuries, then Joey Barton could be that creative genius we are looking for.

However, he NEEDS to be played in the middle of the park and not stuck out wide where he is less affective.

If I were Hughton, I would be buying Routledge to play on the right, Jonas on the left, Smith and Barton in the middle.

are you incuding in his shortcomings the fact that he'd played about 3 decent games in the last 3 seasons ?

I'd like to think so, because he is far too good a footballer for this division.

I'm not convinced though, he's consistently flattered to decieve when he's played and his stock has always raised considerably when he hasn't been available for selection.

MADRAS

Yeah, I know what you mean but at the same time, he appears to be free of any external controversy for the first time since we signed him at present and if some sort of maturity has finally settled in, maybe his mind could be totally focused on his ability for a change.

Well, that is my hope. Forever the optimist.

Creative genius may have been a bit strong. How about someone who can pass a ball to our forwards on a consistent basis therefore creating opportunities for them to score whilst pitching in with several goals himself from deeper positions?

Will that do?

MADRAS

Yeah, I know what you mean but at the same time, he appears to be free of any external controversy for the first time since we signed him at present and if some sort of maturity has finally settled in, maybe his mind could be totally focused on his ability for a change.

Well, that is my hope. Forever the optimist.

Creative genius may have been a bit strong. How about someone who can pass a ball to our forwards on a consistent basis therefore creating opportunities for them to score whilst pitching in with several goals himself from deeper positions?

Will that do?

maybe.......it's in the back of my mind that he's just sick of the people in the game and couldn't give a shit anymore, like roy keane at the end of his playing career.

I'd like to think so, because he is far too good a footballer for this division.

I'm not convinced though, he's consistently flattered to decieve when he's played and his stock has always raised considerably when he hasn't been available for selection.

That might have something to do with the performance of midfielders in his absence. We are talking Butt, Smith, and Nolan here. Which of those three has been the midfield boss this season? All are on massive wages and should be dominating games to reflect that?

That might have something to do with the performance of midfielders in his absence. We are talking Butt, Smith, and Nolan here. Which of those three has been the midfield boss this season? All are on massive wages and should be dominating games to reflect that?

I'd have him in the midfield ahead of them 3 without a shadow of a doubt. In a perfect world I'd like the midfield to be:

Jonas Guthrie Barton NEW RM

Get a proper wide threat on the right and side with them two in the middle and we'd absolutely destroy this division imo. I really don't think we need Smith in there, I'd rather sacrifice any defensive work he does in order to just play that midfield and dominate teams.

Guest firetotheworks

It'll lead to better football, but purely because the other options are disgusting. I've still seen him play only one excellent game for us (Reading under Keegan) but then everyone was Pele that day.

Barton is a decent player. I'd probably go as far as saying he's our best central midfield, but I think Guthrie is maturing well. Do I think his return will lead to better football? Well, no it won't. He was playing earlier in the season, and the football wasn't much better than it is now despite the better results.

hughton has fallen for the old school thinking that a defensive midfielder is essential. he'll always play butt or smith. the likes of venison, rob lee, bracewell, speed and even batty were so much more yet could still help out at the back when required.

Has Barton ever had a man of the match for us?

Maybe West Brom last season, or was it Villa? He certainly had a good game in one of those, scored a pen too.

That win at Fulham a few years back with the pen in the last minute sticks in the mind