Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

Barton will play on the right. There's absolutely no chance of Hughton breaking up the Smith-Nolan first choice pairing.

In that case I don't really see where the better football is going to come from then, as I just don't se enough movement or vision in that pair to get us playing.

Another workhorse is hardly going to make us play better football.

He can be better than that though, he has the ability.

I don't think he's ever had much passing ability, and the talent he did have has been on the decline. I knew he would be a shit signing.

If he can get himself fit and have a run of games under his belt, he'll be a big asset. He's a very good player.

Interestingly, by some way his longest run of consecutive league starts for us stands at 8. And that was in our purple patch from Birmingham away, at the end of 07 - 08 season, when we avoided relegation.

He has the potential to take the league apart and create so much for us BUT before he was injured he was playing like he did not give fk, I would rather play Nolan at least he plays like it matters.

Or playing like a right footed central midfielder being shifted out on the left.

He has the potential to take the league apart and create so much for us BUT before he was injured he was playing like he did not give fk, I would rather play Nolan at least he plays like it matters.

Or playing like a right footed central midfielder being shifted out on the left.

He wasn't out there all the time, I will happy when he is fit itsanother body and on his day a quality player.

He wasn't out there all the time, I will happy when he is fit itsanother body and on his day a quality player.

Sorry you're right. He was right midfield as well.

I wish I had the optimism of Chez and BT, but like most I have given up on Barton and would like him out.

It isn't optimism, I think he's been a disaster for us, but even when he's playing badly you can see he spots things most of our midfielders couldn't even contemplate. He's the only player in our squad who comes close to being described as a playmaker but he looks like he's just doesn't care enough. I think tooj is right though, it might help if he got to play in the centre a bit more.

If it all goes according to plan the chances are the standard of football will get even worse the nearer we get to promotion. We all know how cautious Hughton is now - can you imagine how defensive and long-ball we're going to be when the pressure's really on to get some results?  :undecided:

Barton's got the ability to improve the way we play if he's used properly. Sadly, I don't think he'll be given the chance to by Hughton.

As already stated, no, because he won't be played in his proper position. Hughton will probably see him as the solution to the right midfield 'problem' (seeing as he hasn't stuck with anyone for more than a few games out there.) Barton will be shit there and will once again be crucified.

Of course not, Smith and Nolan won't be dropped.

I still think Guthrie and Barton might work, but it's been a year and a half since Barton wasn't shit for us so it's more hope than expectation.

Barton would probably be at his best in a 4-3-3.

If it's a 4-4-2, you'd want him in the centre, to take advantage of his passing ability, but at the same time he's not a great athlete and you might feel that he'd weaken the defensive effort of the team. 4-3-3 means a stronger centre midfield area where that's not so much of a problem.

As I said in my previous post, our best performances in those last games of the 07-08 season came when Barton had a good run in the team, and there was a 4-3-3 formation.

But I'd always try to fit him in somewhere. Basically, he's our best player.

Barton would probably be at his best in a 4-3-3.

If it's a 4-4-2, you'd want him in the centre, to take advantage of his passing ability, but at the same time he's not a great athlete and you might feel that he'd weaken the defensive effort of the team. 4-3-3 means a stronger centre midfield area where that's not so much of a problem.

As I said in my previous post, our best performances in those last games of the 07-08 season came when Barton had a good run in the team, and there was a 4-3-3 formation.

But I'd always try to fit him in somewhere. Basically, he's our best player.

Another post I find hard to argue with bob. The problem with all our central midfielders is that none of them have any pace or stamina. The running during most games tends to come from Jonas or Enrique with the rest either strolling a few paces behind or watching fascinated. Barton is another one though. Strolls around the centre circle missing tackles and passes for the most part.

No he'll be shite on the right side of midfield as he has been every other time he's played there.

The best we could hope for is the moving of Nolan off the front man and Barton in the centre of the park which is still shite at best.

God forbid we sign a proper winger to play on that side.