Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

I've read one or two interviews, but i'm more than happy for him to stay silent.

He wants to play football and do well, that type of footballer can play for my club any day of the week.

But he hasn't played football and he hasn't done well.

I see where your coming from. I just think he's had enough chances. We are over all the rubbish that he put us through and it's possibly dangerous to go digging it up again.

I don't really consider him an NUFC player at all, he's appeared so little. And he always says he's going to reform, just before beating someone up usually.

I hope he's going to do what he says this time and actually play well, but I'll only believe it when I see it. The time to believe anything he says is long gone.

Can't be arsed?

If all of our players cared as much as Barton we probably wouldn't have been relegated last season.

If he hadn't of gotten that pointless red card against Liverpool we probably wouldn't have been relegated last season with him in the middle.

we really needed him at the end of last season. along with shearer coming in, barton's return was almost like one last big push to stay up. however unfortunate he was to get that red at anfield, he shouldnt have put himself in that position. still some faith in him to come good for us at this level - smith and nolan have ( admittedly not lately though), and joey's better than them.

The thing is for me, are we going to bring in a player with the potential to be a better option in centre mid than Barton during the transfer window? I reckon the answer is a resounding no, so he is most definitely required as teams are beginning to suss out that if they close out our left hand side we offer absolutely nothing else. Having someone like Barton even at 70% in the middle will give them a whole new problem to worry about, it's just whether Hughton has the balls to play him there, whether he's up for it and whether our team can deprogram their 'play to the left or hoof' mentality quickly enough to stop Barton getting frustrated and going through someone with the tackle. Lots of if buts and maybe's there and sadly it's likely to backfire in one way or another, but i don't see that many other options at the minute.

The thing that worries me most about Barton (excluding the fact he's a bit mental) is this;

We don't know how to use him because he doesn't fit into a traditional central midfield mould.

He's not a breaker of play but nor is he an accomplished creator of play. Does that make sense?

He doesn't excel in any one aspect of central midfield play - he doesn't tend to score many, he can't thread a pass, he's not the best tackler, or header and he doesn't seem to dictate play.

However, he is an all round decent operator and, for that reason alone, he is better than our current DM and ACM options but that still doesn't get past the problem of his use.

What does he bring? Well, he's a bit better than Guthrie at most things, he's got legs which makes him automatically superior to Nolan and Butt and he's got energy meaning he can potentially drive the team forward.

Doubtless, he'll make a difference at this level - he'll never be a big player in the premiership until we find his best position and coach the fucker back into top level football in that position - as it is he's everybodys saviour but nobodys long term solution.

The thing that worries me most about Barton (excluding the fact he's a bit mental) is this;

We don't know how to use him because he doesn't fit into a traditional central midfield mould.

He's not a breaker of play but nor is he an accomplished creator of play. Does that make sense?

He doesn't excel in any one aspect of central midfield play - he doesn't tend to score many, he can't thread a pass, he's not the best tackler, or header and he doesn't seem to dictate play.

However, he is an all round decent operator and, for that reason alone, he is better than our current DM and ACM options but that still doesn't get past the problem of his use.

What does he bring? Well, he's a bit better than Guthrie at most things, he's got legs which makes him automatically superior to Nolan and Butt and he's got energy meaning he can potentially drive the team forward.

Doubtless, he'll make a difference at this level - he'll never be a big player in the premiership until we find his best position and coach the fucker back into top level football in that position - as it is he's everybodys saviour but nobodys long term solution.

I wouldn't argue too much about much in your post but that bit is wrong. The one quality he does have is the ability to pick a pass, if anything he's looked constantly off the pace in his time here, maybe because he's been injured, or injuring someone else. He's a good player but I'm not sure he has the appetite for the game any more.

Fully expect him to come back look indifferent, pick up a knock again for the remainder of the season. We will sell him and he will get close to his Man City form, including some stunning performances against us with someone else before settling into mediocrity for the rest of his career.

Excluding that I cant wait to have him back!

Can't be arsed?

If all of our players cared as much as Barton we probably wouldn't have been relegated last season.

If he hadn't of gotten that pointless red card against Liverpool we probably wouldn't have been relegated last season with him in the middle.

Aye we wouldn't have lost against Villa final day with him in the middle.

Can't be arsed?

Aye we wouldn't have lost against Villa final day with him in the middle.

We would have tbh. Our players looked more likely to grow wings than score in that game, or most of them under Shearer.

You'd have thought John Carew had a bet on us to win that day the way he played, yet the game could have went on for another 90 mins and we wouldn't have looked like scoring.

Still though, blaming Barton and Duff is the easy option.

People still got faith in self destructing Joey:lol:.  We got a glimpse earlier on in the season that he is as pedestrian as Nolan, Smith & Butt. His creatively was over hit passes. Missed too much football in recent years to ever get back to something resembling decent.  Shame he felt he had to look the big man by kicking a Liverpool player in front of the Kop, as  he would of had the chance to become the hero he has always wanted to be if had of created 1 winning goal in last seasons run in.

Am I the only one who thought that tackle wasn't worthy of a red card btw?

Was it fuck a red card.

Alonso had a sloppy touch trying to keep the ball in and the ball was there to be won.  Anyone else and nothing would have been made of it.

Am I the only one who thought that tackle wasn't worthy of a red card btw?

I was absolutely slated for sticking up for him that day. Smith's challenge was worse and he wasn't even booked for it.