Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

How do you see Barton in your midfield? I always thought that his best times at City were when he was used as a more forward-minded CM and not as DM.

For some reason he's played pretty deep for us, even with Nicky Butt alongside him. I don't know if that's down to instructions or he just can't be arsed to run, much like the rest of them.

Barton's return will give Hughton even more options to pack the midfield...wouldn't be surprised if he goes brazilian style 4-2-2-2 formation. Who need width anyway?

Butt  Smith

Guthrie  Barton

Shola Carroll

How do you see Barton in your midfield? I always thought that his best times at City were when he was used as a more forward-minded CM and not as DM.

For some reason he's played pretty deep for us, even with Nicky Butt alongside him. I don't know if that's down to instructions or he just can't be arsed to run, much like the rest of them.

I think the reason for Barton playing deep last season was because the whole side stayed deep (for example against Liverpool, Man City in which he both played) and he tryed to get the balls deep in our own half.

This season in the first 8 games or what it was he mostly played some kind of left wing player where he looked poor overall and wasn't so deep iirc.

A side that includes a fit Barton is far more appealing than what we have. If Hughton has the opportunity to play:

Harper

Simpson Williamson Taylor Jose

Routledge Barton Guthrie Jonas

Loven Ameobi

For at least 50% of our final fixtures we will be sure to go up

Agree.

Colo has been no better than Taylor this season, dont see what people find so strange about trying those two.

Barton's return will give Hughton even more options to pack the midfield...wouldn't be surprised if he goes brazilian style 4-2-2-2 formation. Who need width anyway?

Butt  Smith

Guthrie   Barton

Shola Carroll

Won't happen after he bought Routledge. Hughton is a manager who I think always will try to play every of his new signed players because they are "his" players and not Keegan's (Wise's) or Kinnear's or anything like that. He played Simpson from the first day even we had R.Taylor available, he played Harewood pretty much every game despite he played poor.

Now it's the same with Williamson (ok, because Taylor is out) and also it will be with Routledge.

Butt  Smith

Guthrie   Barton

Nolan            

Shola

FYP

A side that includes a fit Barton is far more appealing than what we have. If Hughton has the opportunity to play:

Harper

Simpson Williamson Taylor Jose

Routledge Barton Guthrie Jonas

Loven Ameobi

For at least 50% of our final fixtures we will be sure to go up

Agree.

Colo has been no better than Taylor this season, dont see what people find so strange about trying those two.

You just don't give up do you?

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Barton was shite every game he played in this season,  I would not have him straight back in the team.

Barton was s**** every game he played in this season,  I would not have him straight back in the team.

Barton was carriying an injury, some kind of broken foot. Would you play some decent football with such an injury? (Or even without that)

And he also was playing completely out of position on the left wing.

Barton was shite every game he played in this season,  I would not have him straight back in the team.

Because we've played so well in central midfield in his absence, yeah I see your point.

the next 3 games will decide whether barton comes back in. if nolan continues his current form and fails to score then hughton has no choice.

barton will come back in......choose any one from four for who to drop.

think jonas and routledge are safe - so any 1 from 2 - think smith is safe as hughton likes a defensive midfirlder, so looks like it will be barton vs nolan - who's better? only one way to find out.........

think jonas and routledge are safe - so any 1 from 2 - think smith is safe as hughton likes a defensive midfirlder, so looks like it will be barton vs nolan - who's better? only one way to find out.........

smith,nolan,butt,guthrie......choose any one.

Guest Stephen927

Barton will hopefully push Butt out of the team, though Hughton will probably come up with some formation to enable him to play both Guthrie and Barton on the left wing.