Will Barton's return lead to better football?

TRon

Personally I don't want him coming back for an away game, I want him playing his first game back at home.

Otherwise I forsee the opposition fans overreacting at every challenge he makes and he'll end up getting sent off for nowt.

Hope there's a chance he'll be on the bench on Saturday. Would be ideal game for his comeback as this match will be live on SKY.  O0

too early i'd have thought.

I think it will depend on how well he'll do tonight - fitness wise. But I don't know, obviously.

"65min - NEWCASTLE MISS PEN: Joey Barton looks to mark his comeback with a goal but fails to hit the target when his cheeky dink from the spot floats over the crossbar."

Months out, and he's cocky enough to attempt a chipped penalty, dear me!

"65min - NEWCASTLE MISS PEN: Joey Barton looks to mark his comeback with a goal but fails to hit the target when his cheeky dink from the spot floats over the crossbar."

Months out, and he's cocky enough to attempt a chipped penalty, dear me!

How arrogant is this?    :facepalm:

From nufc.co.uk  At least Barton said "sorry" to his teammates after missing that pen.

Joey Joy After Toon Return

By Craig Hope

PENALTY miss aside, Joey Barton says that he left Victoria Park all the better for a 75-minute workout during his return from a five-month injury exile at Hartlepool on Tuesday night.

The midfielder was enjoying his first taste of competitive football since foot surgery in early October when he turned out for Alan Thompson's second-string.

And while a second-half spot-kick, chipped over the crossbar, led Barton to offer a changing-room apology to his young team-mates following the 2-0 defeat, the Scouser told nufcTV that his pre-match objective of an unscathed outing had been achieved.

"I feel good; it was a good workout, I felt sharp and my touch was there," he said.

Article continues>>

AdTech Ad

"I was disappointed to miss the penalty, though. I tried to go for the chip because the pitch wasn't the best and I didn't really want to go for power and slip.

"It didn't come off and you look a bit stupid and no doubt I'll get some stick for it.

"I apologised to Alan Thompson and the lads afterwards because if I score that it goes to 2-1 and we can make a game of it."

He added: "No disrespect to the lads who played but it was more of an extended training session for myself in many ways.

"I wasn't going full throttle into challenges and you've got to protect yourself because I'm building towards a return to the first-team squad and I'm still hoping to play a part this season.

"We've taken our time with my comeback because of my history with injuries and I feel strong and fresh having done that.

"This game would have done me the world of good, both physically and for confidence, and I'm ready now for the next step now which is hopefully a place in the first-team squad in the not too distant future."

Guest icemanblue

Anyone see the penalty on Sky Sports News last night? It was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen...

Aye. It made the holocaust look like an episode of the Teletubbies. Gruesome.

So Joey's Newcastle career re-commences with an attention seeking gesture followed by an apology.

Just get your head down and play, Joey.

yep. don't know why people say he comes across well in interviews. yes he can speak eloquently enough for a footballer, but he always comes across as a self-obsessed egomaniac to me. the latest interviews and his daft pen are just par for course, bollocks about 'no disrespect to the lads' but he'd be more motivated for a big game than a reserve outing. as always he bigs himself up in interviews and fails to deliver.