The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Isn't he only on something like £300k a year which is probably less than all of the players bar the kids?

I think they said that Hughes' package at Fulham is £2m although that might include his coaching staff.

However from Ashley's point of view, it would make sense to wait a few months to see how we do and then give him a rolling contract.

The London media seem to constantly imply that we are looking for a big name.  I hope that is just mischief-making on their part.

Ashley always seems very reluctant and/or slow to negotiate new contracts.

Rolling contract sounds good to me, I doubt he would be kicking off. I would be concerned who we might get if he did leave though.

Give him a rolling contract, see how he does over the next couple of seasons and if he is doing well given the squad he has (I think the signings he has made have been very good considering the budget) then if after that time he is doing as well as we could expect then we can look at a longer term contract.

Rolling contract sounds good to me, I doubt he would be kicking off. I would be concerned who we might get if he did leave though.

Give him a rolling contract, see how he does over the next couple of seasons and if he is doing well given the squad he has (I think the signings he has made have been very good considering the budget) then if after that time he is doing as well as we could expect then we can look at a longer term contract.

Agree with this, the fact Mike Ashley hired Joe Kinnear is just as cringeworthy today as it was when he came in.

I don't think Ashley will be giving long meaty contracts to players or managers at the moment, certainly not up to pre-Ashley levels.

This is also something that Hughton will be well aware of and will have accepted. I don't think there's anything to be worried about, it's just how we operate now.

First the bonus dispute and now this.......the rags just hate that we won 6-0 don't they?

Normally I'm not the paranoid type, but yes. For the first time in a while, this club is on a bit of a high, and suddenly we have Barton doing a nazi salute, the players in a battle with the board over bonuses, and Hughton falling out over his contract.

The 'club in turmoil' headline is good copy, and it's an idea that dies hard.

Guest Stephen927

The players seem to react well to him but a lot of that is down to them changing their own attitudes too. He's doing well so far and I don't want to jinx him.

Only once we've secured top flight football should we be looking to give him a new deal, I'm sure he would understand that.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm sure its nothing to worry about. Would we be worrying about it if the papers hadn't tried to stoke a fire about it? We've known since last year his deal runs out end of this season. He'll probably have targets set out that he needs to achieve to help secure a new contract, just as any coach/manager would. Like people have said, just the papers being turds.

Guest Stephen927

We went down and people were tipping us to go down again or at the very best finish mid-table. Hughton got us automatic promotion.

You can take it away from him by talking about the players committee, but I don't think the team would have responded like that had Kinnear came back, with or without that committee. Hughton deserves all the credit for that.

All managers haggle when their contracts are up for renewal, just look at Wenger's "will he leave/won't he" drama every couple of seasons. If we do well this season Hughton will be in a stronger position to negotiate better terms as the season unfolds. If not, it'll be Colin Calderwood nailed on.

IMO the most impressive thing about Hughton so far is how he's got the team's heads up and bounced back after setbacks.

This.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a group of lads who seem to WANT to play for and with each other. That can never be underestimated.

IMO the most impressive thing about Hughton so far is how he's got the team's heads up and bounced back after setbacks.

This.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a group of lads who seem to WANT to play for and with each other. That can never be underestimated.

Probably the first few games under Roeder, those 8 games under Keegan certainly as well.

But you're right, Hughton seems to have got the players together to a good group of lads, who are really playing for each other.