The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got it wrong last week and took some justified stick. Got it right today and should expect some praise.

Fantastic result, a job well done. :)

:thup:

That team would have beaten Blackpool btw ;)

Got it wrong last week and took some justified stick. Got it right today and should expect some praise.

Fantastic result, a job well done. :)

:thup:

That team would have beaten Blackpool btw ;)

Wasn't just the team selection though IMO, it was the gameplan.

Sticking Jonas up front and dropping Carroll to play deeper was an excellent decision and took a lot of pressure off us in the end.

Good spot Mick.

Yeah I thought this was a really good decision by him today. I'm really impressed by Hughton in general. He is obviously still learning but he learns from his mistakes all the time and he looks to me like he could be a very good manager for a number of years.

Re Blackpool: did anyone hear about this coach have a serious stroke at the weekend? Not sure if it was before the match, but could have galvanized them.

Yeah, their players had shirts on dedicated to him etc.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4930/610xha.jpg

Love him. Deserves massive credit for what he's done with this group of lads. We're looking more comfortable on the ball in the Premier League than we did during large parts in the Championship, our defense is looking better than I can ever remember and his signings has all been brilliant, the right backs being the exception.

As big a shock as the Blackpool game was, the Everton game was just as unexpected.

It's exactly the sort of game we usually give up on - I look at the fixture list and go "oh well, it'll be an easier 3-0 win to them" and we move on to the next game - how wrong I was!

We absolutely bossed the game, from start to finish. Like the Villa game, everyone gave 110% and we got all 3 points as a result. Hats off to Hughton, he saw the problems (Jonas and Smith) and he solved it.

We haven't played like that away from home in the Premier League since the days of Bobby. Although we can't ignore the Blackpool result, a decent performance against Chelsea and 3 points against Stoke and I'll be happy indeed.

Well done Chris and co :thup:

I think the Everton result shows up the Blackpool result for what it was - one of those days, and Hughton a bit too cautious on the subs. It's pleasing that all those dubbing the Blackpool result as the worst in 20 years or whatever have crawled back into their caves, as people totally over-reacted to it as a result.

I think the Everton result shows up the Blackpool result for what it was - one of those days, and Hughton a bit too cautious on the subs. It's pleasing that all those dubbing the Blackpool result as the worst in 20 years or whatever have crawled back into their caves, as people totally over-reacted to it as a result.

I reckon it was probably that we gave them way too much respect. The substitutions should have been earlier and we probably should have bombarded them a bit more than we did - I know we're nowhere near their standard, but Chelsea showed just how easy it was to dominate them like we did back in the Championship. It was a bad result, but the fact that we've been able to recover from it shows that we're a better team than we were than we went down.

Was an appalling result no doubt. Don't buy into the one of those days speels but thats another debate. Credit goes to chrissy tho as he picked a squad resembling the best 11 players we have and long may it continue.

Sticking Jonas up front and dropping Carroll to play deeper was an excellent decision and took a lot of pressure off us in the end.

Didn’t realize that, I thought Carrol was just helping out the defence on his volition but if that was Hughton's instructions, then he deserves credit.

I still think however that his main weakness is his inability to use subs properly and at the right time. He prefers to let the team work things out for themselves which can sometimes backfire (though in this case it did not).

2 specific instances against Everton

1) In the second half when Everton was dictating the game and attacking us in waves around the 60-75 minutes, he should have done something. Ideally putting on a more defensive midfielder in place of a knackered Nolan would have been good to add more steel to the midfield but since our only other ‘defensive midfielder’ is Alan Smith, he should have still taken off Nolan and put in Jonas or Lovenkrads. At the very least their pace would have prevented Everton's defence from moving so high up to join their midfield/attack and ease the pressure on us. 

2) In the last few minutes of injury time, when we were again at risk of conceding, he should have wasted some valuable time by making a sub. Even the Jonas for HBA sub seems more like enforced coz HBA was already limping when the sub was made.

So he deserves credit for having the courage to start both HBA and Tiote but he has to use his subs more strategically. We won but on another day his inaction could have lost us 2 valuable points.

Looking forward to see how CH performs this season when we're bound to come up against it considerably more than last season - and, pertinently, if he has the lack of hubris, balls and flexibility to be willing to drop the stalwarts "mainstays" of the team as circumstance dictates (E.g Nolan!).

For my part, I don't think he's perfect but I rather believe in CH!

[/famous last words]

Extremely impressed with Hughton so far :thup: Quality manager. :)

He's been in charge for just over a year, and we're a team transformed, in every way.

Hughton has been excellent at getting the team to bounce back after a setback. The way we tore into Everton right from the start, you'd have thought the that we had fought back the previous week to draw with Man U, and they had lost at home to Blackpool.

The biggest thing for me is the team spirit he's instilled into the club, seem like a band of brothers more than ever now!

This, absolutely 100%. Yeah we played below par but I still believe that on another day, when god was smiling down or whatever, we would have taken 2 or 3 of the chances and went on to win. Yes it would have been scrappy but we would have. It reminded me of the home game against Bristol City last season where we could have played for 24 days and not have scored.

Hughton is doing a very good job to be honest. He seems like a nice bloke too. Hope he keeps us up, and can take us forward. Whilst knee-jerking is always going to happen on here, I just hope he keeps the support of the fans in the ground. At the end of the day we know we are going to take a good few batterings this season, but as long as we stay up it doesnt matter.

......walking in a Hughton wonderland!

I was actually worried when Boro sacked Southgate and we stuck with Hughton, thought they'd grasped the nettle and we'd bottled it.

I thought the opposite about Southgate weirdly enough, seemed a weird decision at the time.

Me too, they were a point off the top when he went weren't they?