The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aye, it feels a bit like 2 steps forward, one step back to me.

Villa win and Wolves draw - Blackpool defeat

Everton win and Chelsea win - Stoke defeat

It needs addressing like.

We'd be a top 6 team if we did, which we're clearly not. We're going to get results like this, have very erratic form, and as long as we bumble along to over 40 points, then that'll do me.

We would have been 2nd in the league last sunday if we had won those two games. Realistic expectations and all that.

Don't get me wrong NUT, I agree completely. Anything above the relegation zone will do me atm.

I'm just concerned about form. We're getting results in the games we stand no chance in, but that won't last. We can't win the games that we should be winning, but we need to start to otherwise we won't get over that 40 mark.

We played Everton and Villa at exactly the right time. I'm not sure how anyone can look at our first 6 league games and be fully confident of survival.

So you'd only be confident of survival if we were equal 2nd with Man U?

If we'd got points off our relegation rivals i might be, to some extent.

Whilst i fully understand where you are coming from, its still a bit like dismissing Arsenal's game against West Brom as an indicator of whether they can compete for the title as it wasnt a game against their rivals.

Getting points of Blackpool and Stoke would do me.

Someone ban this half-wit, please.

Bit harsh on half-wits tbh.

Ronaldo is a dictator who wants to hear his kind of opinion or else don't like it thats why he want me ban..... If he is a leader of some third world country I am sure he want me Killed.

he isn't in the same league as Robert Mugabe though

I'm not completely dismissing the Villa and Everton games. Just think they tell us little about our prospects for the season.

Reverse the situation, we lost to both Villa and Everton but beat Blackpool and Stoke. Still on 7 points and happier?

Yes, tbh.

I agree - those games are '6 pointers' because they pull the other sides into the scrap ; Everton and Villa are NOT going to be fighting relegation. Stoke might have been if we had beaten them....

Fair enough.

More comfortable is the way I'd put it. Our form has been more promising than the alternative of beating rivals and losing when we're expected to, lets us have bigger ideas about the future, but if we'd emphatically smashed Stoke and Wolves instead, I'd probably feel it was less likely we're gonna nosedive at some point in the season. It would promise less in the short/medium term, but feel more reliable. At the moment, you have to worry we'll keep picking up losses in 6 pointers and help our rivals, but at some time forget how to beat the big teams or run out of luck against them or whatever the pessimistic slant would be that you'd want to put on our victories. We'll only know at the end of the season that we can keep doing what we've been doing - and if we can and do, then it'll be time for a big inquest into just why we're like that...

Yes, tbh.

I agree - those games are '6 pointers' because they pull the other sides into the scrap ; Everton and Villa are NOT going to be fighting relegation. Stoke might have been if we had beaten them....

stoke were never relegation material tbh

Carroll hasn't really been on it since he injured his ankle, it is quite possible that he isn't properly fit and our lack of decent alternatives means he's had to play while not at his best.

However it disappoints me that while the players Hughton didn't sign can be dropped for poor form, those he did sign play despite one being the worst player we've had this season.

Drops Carroll because of his underpar performance but Nolan starts......hmmmmmm.  ???

Aye, the one player who has offered something up front is dropped while the one who offers nothing plays, try working that one out.

Drops Carroll because of his underpar performance but Nolan starts......hmmmmmm.  ???

Just bizarre.

Carroll was poor because the entire game plan against Stoke failed.  Plan A (get crosses into Carroll's head & hope for a flick-on or header on target) didn't work because the Stoke defenders were better than Carroll in the air and there was no Plan B.  When we played the ball on the ground we looked comfortable in possession and we were always going to get chances from free-kicks around the box but we kept on persisting with the same tactics for 90 minutes even though it was obvious they weren't going to work after 10 minutes.

If Carroll has been dropped because he was under par against Stoke what the fuck is Nolan doing on the pitch.  Carroll's failure was down to the team & tactics, what's Nolan's excuse for his abysmal performance?

Guest MrBrown

I don't think he's being given enough credit for the football we're trying to play this season. It's some nice stuff.