The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think a fair few people accept Hughton has limitations imposed upon him due to the lack of alternatives available, but a good few posts are pointing out the tactical differences that could (should?) be made instead of the lacklustre affair that was served up at the Hawthorns. His hands aren't tied when it comes to dishing out match instructions are they? I realise he can't wave a magic wand and make them better players but he can tell them to press, overlap, get to the byline, push up etc. etc.

The moment we conceded yesterday there should have been a plan B come into action by default. Continuing to play in exactly the same shape and fashion was never going to produce an equaliser.

Guest hobshobs

The bottom line here is that we are watching Ameobi and Gutierrez in a Newcastle shirt with no desire at all. Two years ago Martins, Duff, Owen and Viduka were the same. We're playing with what amounts to nine players at times. It needs to be sorted and not by giving them a rollicking. Send the lazy buggers on coaches up and down the country midweek with the third team. Getting their dosh for nothing. To be honest I'd be delighted to see both transferred now. 11 commited players is what is needed in any side. these two are a joke.

I don't criticise him often as I think he's doing a very tough job with the squad at his disposal, not to mention injuries/suspensions to several influential players.

However in the West Brom game our better players were not put to good use. For the last few games Enrique has stopped overlapping. Why? Has he been told to stay in his own half as an attempt to shore things up at the back after the 5 goal drubbing and the soft goals we're conceding? Against Chelsea, fair enough, but West Brom? Gutierrez really needed some help down that left hand side but noone ever overlapped. If Enrique and Simpson had bombed on we'd have opened ourselves up more, sure, but we'd have caused them a lot more problems than we did. Even when we went behind our full backs refused to bomb forward in search of the equaliser. Enrique has been solid defensively but we all know there is more to his game. We need him linking up with Gutierrez again and overlapping.

As for the utter lack of fight from our players, it's a mystery as they have mostly been up for the challenge this season. We did have a few who are coming back from injury (Sol, Taylor, Guthrie) and Ameobi didn't look fit either, but it ran through the whole team.

Teams are sussing out that Carroll is our only major threat and I struggle to see what Hughton can do about it. January can't come soon enough.

Very good point, Enrique has stopped going forward as much as he used to. Simpson was in their half much more and it's normally the other way round.

Shola isn't fit and should not be playing - simple as that- some players can get by with niggles some can't,he just can't and he was non existant yesterday. Jonas is a bigger worry because he clearly couldn't be arsed and at times plainly refused to track back or drive forward with the ball.

Its worrying that this malaise is beginning to creep in and the injection of some fresh blood is vital. couple of loans or one buy one loan would be nice and on yesterdays performance SWP or Krancjaer could make all the difference.

Shola isn't fit and should not be playing - simple as that- some players can get by with niggles some can't,he just can't and he was non existant yesterday. Jonas is a bigger worry because he clearly couldn't be arsed and at times plainly refused to track back or drive forward with the ball.

Its worrying that this malaise is beginning to creep in and the injection of some fresh blood is vital. couple of loans or one buy one loan would be nice and on yesterdays performance SWP or Krancjaer could make all the difference.

Totally agree. If things aren't shaken up in Jan it's going to be close.

Really not expecting any incomings out outgoings this January. Expect the "returning Gosling is the equivalent of a January signing" line to be trotted out.

Guest Roger Kint

Maybe his reluctance is down to not having Colo covering for him down that side as usual.

Probably more to do with Jonas' reluctance to play any part in the game for the last month or so. About as much use as a traffic cone in all honesty.

Guest Roger Kint

Maybe his reluctance is down to not having Colo covering for him down that side as usual.

Probably, Sol was hardly inspiring confidence with his dodgy clearances every time we got caught out.

Sol and Saylor were abysmal like, their poor showing seemed to spread across the team during the first half. Unfortunatley we have no alternative to many of the terrible players yesterday.

Chaps, the fact that the best suggestions we've had for what the clearly inept manager should have done differently are to have played Leon f***ing Best and thrown on Ranger out of position should tell you enough about the situation to know that his hands are tied.

It's not just a manager's job to pick the lineup you know. The tactics were horrid.

Chaps, the fact that the best suggestions we've had for what the clearly inept manager should have done differently are to have played Leon f***ing Best and thrown on Ranger out of position should tell you enough about the situation to know that his hands are tied.

It's not just a manager's job to pick the lineup you know. The tactics were horrid.

The side we put out yesterday was the type of side we'd have played in the Carling Cup 2nd round if we had a full squad, i.e. a virtual 2nd eleven.

There's not much Hughton can do about having so many big players out at the same time, but that said there was a serious lack of desire which is the manager's problem to address.

If we had equalised (and we nearly did) we would have looked like a different side and not lost, but that's a huge IF of course.

Anyone else begining to realise just how important the assured quality of Colocinni is to the team in this league ?

Although it's canny effective... well, sort of.... it saddens me that our tactics consist of getting the ball on the Carrolls bonce.

Granted it might have been because I had just seen Nasris goals, but our only chance in the first half was a set play. Commentator started spouting the s**** about how we can bring all our big meatheads up to get our first shot on goal. My initial thought being 'oh, we're one of those teams now'.

Aye. So I want us to be Arsenal, so what? f*** YOU!

Although it's canny effective... well, sort of.... it saddens me that our tactics consist of getting the ball on the Carrolls bonce.

Granted it might have been because I had just seen Nasris goals, but our only chance in the first half was a set play. Commentator started spouting the s**** about how we can bring all our big meatheads up to get our first shot on goal. My initial thought being 'oh, we're one of those teams now'.

Aye. So I want us to be Arsenal, so what? f*** YOU!

Yesterday nothing was working really but generally our standard of football has consisted of a lot more than lumping it up to Carroll. He is obviously a target at set-pieces, he has to be but our general play this season has been far form hit and hope towards AC.

Up until the last few weeks we certainly didn't deserve the tag of a long ball team, and many neutrals said we were playing some nice stuff and passing it about. Yes we used Carroll's height but we were by no means a route one team.

We've long relied on our left side of Enrique and Gutierrez being dangerous with their overlapping play. Our right side was limited but we found with Barton's crossing we had some threat from both sides and could stretch teams. We've gone from that to having no threat on either side, Enrique won't get forward and Barton's missed the last 4 games. That, coupled with Ameobi's poor form, in large part explains our struggles.

Guthrie is a confidence player and right now his confidence is shot. I really hope Barton is back for Liverpool because I don't see what options we have. Smith had a couple of decent games before Tiote came in but looks a liability once again and besides he offers nothing going forward. Take Barton out and what have we got? We may have to consider blooding Vuckic, I don't know anything about the lad but fixture congestion around Christmas means all teams will do some rotation.

The side we put out yesterday was the type of side we'd have played in the Carling Cup 2nd round if we had a full squad, i.e. a virtual 2nd eleven.

There's not much Hughton can do about having so many big players out at the same time, but that said there was a serious lack of desire which is the manager's problem to address.

If we had equalised (and we nearly did) we would have looked like a different side and not lost, but that's a huge IF of course.

Anyone else begining to realise just how important the assured quality of Colocinni is to the team in this league ?

There's no way that was a 2nd XI like, virtual or otherwise.