The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

How do i say this. Mourinho started as bobbys translater. Hughton started as manager at Newcastle united.

I can not believe how fickle some of the posters are on this board, (basically being led by yorkshire administrators).

The best thing thats happened too this club in a long time is being relegated so that we can regroup and move forwards, and last nights result proves that . Far to many Twats listen to the enlightenment that is Sky , BBC etc.

We need a proper manager etc.

We've already got one. :coolsmiley:

Every time I start coming round to the idea Hughton might not be the next Mike Walker. Somebody comes along with a post like this.

The difference between JM and CH is that the former has charisma, ambition and masses of self belief. Whereas Hughton never showed

any desire to be manager until the opportunity fell in his lap. This doesn’t automatically mean he won’t be able to cut it when the competition hots up, but there’s a lot more to being a proper manager than inheriting the best squad of players in the division and taking the lads ten pin bowling.

CH deserves credit for the job he’s done this season, but ignoring what the job was doesn’t make him JM. He’s earned a shot at managing NUFC in the PL – nothing more, nothing less.

At every single point this season where i've thought, "this is where Hughton needs to prove himself", for me - he's passed the test every single time. Right from the very start of the season - with collecting team spirit... to signing the right players in January... to the numerous times where we've lost or hit a dry spell, and it's looked a real challenge to up the momentum and get back to playing really well. He's done an absolutely fantastic job this season, no doubt about it.

Spot on. :thup: Me too.

Tbh I've been totally won over. Regardless of the players we have, the poor away performances, the at times negative football, you cannot deny he has done a magnificent job this season. I know I've said this already but he has a distinct lack of arrogance and stubborness with regards to his managerial decisions. How many past NUFC managers would have insisted on playing Butt, refused to drop Best etc.

Not only that, but he has conducted himself admirably throughout the season. No bulshitting, no lieing, whingeing or moaning. He's just got on with the job. Not only that but his signings have been good as well, he regonised we needed a right winger so he got one, and he's done a great job thus far. Signings like Hall, Zurab and Van Aanholt have done well too when debutised. You could complain about Best however he cant get everything right. When you add this to the team ethic, spirit and togeatherness that he has managed to install, thats something else to his credit.

Of course he's not perfect, if he was, he wouldnt be here, I was raging with him on the way back from Barnsley, he cost us 2 points against Leicester, we havn't played excellent fdootball this season but regardless, when you consider how many were predicting us to fail again this season after that game at Leyton Orient, for me he's done an absolute stirling job as manager of Newcastle United. 

He has done brilliantly this season and got along with the job quietly but for some reason I'm still sceptical for next season.

Hope I'm worrying over shit all but he still has to prove himself when it comes to transfers (if he gets to choose who to buy). The big worry I have is when we have the inevitable spell of losing a few games on the bounce, will he have enough about him to make tough decisions, drop players and get their arses into gear  :undecided:

This thread is leading nicely into us getting bummed in the face by peterborough and people disliking him again :lol:

Changed the title = massive curse. Last time I did that I think we had a little blip...

Peterborough are truly terrible though. Truly terrible.

Jose -

"And Chris Hughton deserves the credit. He is the best manager I’ve ever had here in three seasons. He’s had one season and has grown into the job.

People who say he will not be as good in the Premier League are being unfair. Why not? The club want him to stay, he’s very keen to stay and the players want to work with Chris next season."

--- > Read more

/'Hughton Better Than Keegan shocker' O0

Tbh I've been totally won over. Regardless of the players we have, the poor away performances, the at times negative football, you cannot deny he has done a magnificent job this season. I know I've said this already but he has a distinct lack of arrogance and stubborness with regards to his managerial decisions. How many past NUFC managers would have insisted on playing Butt, refused to drop Best etc.

Not only that, but he has conducted himself admirably throughout the season. No bulshitting, no lieing, whingeing or moaning. He's just got on with the job. Not only that but his signings have been good as well, he regonised we needed a right winger so he got one, and he's done a great job thus far. Signings like Hall, Zurab and Van Aanholt have done well too when debutised. You could complain about Best however he cant get everything right. When you add this to the team ethic, spirit and togeatherness that he has managed to install, thats something else to his credit.

Of course he's not perfect, if he was, he wouldnt be here, I was raging with him on the way back from Barnsley, he cost us 2 points against Leicester, we havn't played excellent fdootball this season but regardless, when you consider how many were predicting us to fail again this season after that game at Leyton Orient, for me he's done an absolute stirling job as manager of Newcastle United. 

:thup: Agree with every word

Oh fuck it, I'm converted and ready to join the party. Hughton is a legend :celb:

At every single point this season where i've thought, "this is where Hughton needs to prove himself", for me - he's passed the test every single time. Right from the very start of the season - with collecting team spirit... to signing the right players in January... to the numerous times where we've lost or hit a dry spell, and it's looked a real challenge to up the momentum and get back to playing really well. He's done an absolutely fantastic job this season, no doubt about it.

We'd have been promoted already if we had a manager who had testicles.  We have played far too negative away from home, and if you think it's going to be any better when we go up then you want your head examined.  He still needs to learn a hell of a lot imo.  Think back to Leicester away.  They had 10 men, we played abysmal and he got his tactics all wrong.  There's also the league cup, getting knocked out by Peterborough after fielding a bunch of kids.  If he was going to do that then what was the point in the Huddersfield game at SJP?  There's also been numerous substitutions and times where we've been stale and boring on the pitch yet he's done fuck all about it.  He hasn't done a bad job overall, but to wank him off like you have just done is laughable.

He's made mistakes but he's never done anything less than enough. There's been one or two atrocities which have rightfully angered folk, but on the whole - with the benefit of hindsight i'll admit - he's done an aboslutely fantastic job. We're essentially 16 points clear of third before April, aren't we?

I said in my post that at all of the absolutely crucial points of the season - the points where Hughton really has had to put his neck on the line - he's come through, and that cannot be argued with. As i said, the three that stand out are:

/ Pre-season; developing a team spirit and sifting out the wankers.

/ The transfer window; injuries to key players happened and the squad was small. Best's an abbhoration, but Hughton's improved the areas that needed improving, and the second half of the season has been 'won' at an absolute canter - largely because of the January activity.

/ The aftermath of losing to Forest/Scunthorpe; we could have remained in the mire and not clawed our way back out of it - but he gave the squad a kick up the arse and we've never looked back. That was October, i think. We've lost one game since.

Three absolutely critical stages of the season and he's come up trumps in all of them. We've been pretty turgid away from home for large parts of the season, but still only lost 4 from 17 (?).

Now leave me to it, i'm off to get some lube.

We'd have been promoted already if we had a manager who had testicles.  We have played far too negative away from home, and if you think it's going to be any better when we go up then you want your head examined.  He still needs to learn a hell of a lot imo.  Think back to Leicester away.  They had 10 men, we played abysmal and he got his tactics all wrong.  There's also the league cup, getting knocked out by Peterborough after fielding a bunch of kids.  If he was going to do that then what was the point in the Huddersfield game at SJP?  There's also been numerous substitutions and times where we've been stale and boring on the pitch yet he's done f*** all about it.  He hasn't done a bad job overall, but to w*** him off like you have just done is laughable.

:facepalm:

He's made mistakes but he's never done anything less than enough. There's been one or two atrocities which have rightfully angered folk, but on the whole - with the benefit of hindsight i'll admit - he's done an aboslutely fantastic job. We're essentially 16 points clear of third before April, aren't we?

I said in my post that at all of the absolutely crucial points of the season - the points where Hughton really has had to put his neck on the line - he's come through, and that cannot be argued with. As i said, the three that stand out are:

/ Pre-season; developing a team spirit and sifting out the wankers.

/ The transfer window; injuries to key players happened and the squad was small. Best's an abbhoration, but Hughton's improved the areas that needed improving, and the second half of the season has been 'won' at an absolute canter - largely because of the January activity.

/ The aftermath of losing to Forest/Scunthorpe; we could have remained in the mire and not clawed our way back out of it - but he gave the squad a kick up the arse and we've never looked back. That was October, i think. We've lost one game since.

Three absolutely critical stages of the season and he's come up trumps in all of them. We've been pretty turgid away from home for large parts of the season, but still only lost 4 from 17 (?).

Now leave me to it, i'm off to get some lube.

Don't you just love it Yorkie? Don't you just love saying 'absolutley' loads and loads and loads.

George Caulkin on Hughton etc.

Link - Hughton's trusted formula gives Newcastle hope for future.

"The Premier League will be better with Newcastle in it and, with a bit of luck, Newcastle will be better for their year in the wilderness. There has been a value in simply going to the match and enjoying the uncomplicated buzz of victory, the squad has been weeded of malingerers and, by and large, the players who are there want to be there. The team may not be graceful, but it is just that: a team"

Long, but worth it for the warm feeling you'll get.  :thup:

I hope Caulkin is right because it is years since we had a TEAM in the fullest sense of the word...even in KK's first spell as manager, you got the sense that he wasn't bothered about certain aspects of the club, such as Juniors, his relations with the Board etc.

SAF is at OT every day early - he checks every aspect of the club's activities and takes a great interest in the Youth and Reserves ; you have to do this if you want to create a CLUB in the fullest sense.

Clough even fired some Tea ladies because he heard them laughing about a Derby defeat in his early days there...maybe a bit extreme, but he was making a point that EVERYBODY at the club had to pull together - failure to do so means no success.

As for Hughton, he has done a great job(with Calderwood)this season and no-one can take that away from him, but the next season will be much harder because he will have to make tough decisions about which players to keep/play etc., and some of the squad are going to get their noses put out of joint.

He will need financial support from Ashley and, if he gets that, he should be capable of keeping the side up...and that is a MUST DO...provided the side is in a reasonably safe position at Christmas, he will be half way to achieving his first target and will be safe.

If we are bottom of the league and he HAS received financial support, he will be in danger as would any manager.

Hughton has done a superb job for you this season, better than I would have expected as most Spurs fans saw him as a top quality coach with no aspiration to become a manager.

I think Colin Calderwood's importance to the management team is probably underestimated though.  He did a superb job with Spurs' development squad (fringe 1st team squad + best of the youngsters) and Spurs tried hard to talk him out of taking his 1st management job at Northampton.  He will be a top quality manager sometime in the future (in my opinion).

We'd have been promoted already if we had a manager who had testicles.  We have played far too negative away from home, and if you think it's going to be any better when we go up then you want your head examined.  He still needs to learn a hell of a lot imo.  Think back to Leicester away.  They had 10 men, we played abysmal and he got his tactics all wrong.  There's also the league cup, getting knocked out by Peterborough after fielding a bunch of kids.  If he was going to do that then what was the point in the Huddersfield game at SJP?  There's also been numerous substitutions and times where we've been stale and boring on the pitch yet he's done fuck all about it.  He hasn't done a bad job overall, but to wank him off like you have just done is laughable.

You've got a tiny bit of a point there, we could have played more positively away from home. But we were continuing to pick up points and were on course for promotion... it's more than understandable that Hughton decided to stick with it.

And in the latter weeks of the season we've been all together more positive home and away IMO.

Jose Enrique's comments on our manager, from the excellemt nufc.com match report.

"He has had a long career as a coach but this is the first time he has had the opportunity to be the boss and I think he has proved what a good one he is. Before, he was always a number two or number three but now he is in charge 100 per cent and I don’t have to say how good he is because the league table tells you that. For me, my personal opinion is that this is my third season at Newcastle and he is the best manager I have had here.

“I cannot believe how hard he works. He seems to spend 24 hours every day at the club. He is so dedicated to the job and gives his all. He is thinking about the games all the time, watches the videos and is so thorough in his preparations. The players respect him so much. The other managers were famous names, but it is not always about that. He is the man to take charge of us in the Premier League.”

Jose Enrique's comments on our manager, from the excellemt nufc.com match report.

"He has had a long career as a coach but this is the first time he has had the opportunity to be the boss and I think he has proved what a good one he is. Before, he was always a number two or number three but now he is in charge 100 per cent and I don’t have to say how good he is because the league table tells you that. For me, my personal opinion is that this is my third season at Newcastle and he is the best manager I have had here.

“I cannot believe how hard he works. He seems to spend 24 hours every day at the club. He is so dedicated to the job and gives his all. He is thinking about the games all the time, watches the videos and is so thorough in his preparations. The players respect him so much. The other managers were famous names, but it is not always about that. He is the man to take charge of us in the Premier League.”

:clap:  Great to hear about Hughton. I think but much more hope Enrique is right in his last sentence there.

What gives me a boost for next season...as Caulkin mentions the ones who didn't want to be here have left.  The ones which are left have a good team spirit and fight for each other (and with each other lol).

At the end of last season and the begining of this one it all looked doomed but credit to Hughton, Calderwood, the staff and the players.  We've proven we are a prem side (just about) 

The issue with most teams that get promoted is the lack of prem experience in their squads.  We go up with loads of prem experience.

Harper

Taylor

Enrique

Colo

Nolan

Smith

Guthrie

Jonas

Shola

Carroll

Add some more young hungry players, loan and maybe poach some of the canny players from some relegated sides and i think we'll be ok.

The beauty of having Hughton going into next season is the fact that we can all be quite confident that everyone will at least be pulling in the same direction as far as player recruitment goes. It already worked so well in January, and so there will hopefully be swift and early movement in the transfer window this summer.

I think we need to be careful and, whilst congratulating him on the job he has done this season, hold back full judgement until next season.

One thing I am grateful for is that he comes across as a genuinely nice fella. PR is massively important and having ignorant dickheads like Joe Kinnear swearing at a room full of journalists is something that we are all much better off without. Whilst Hughton may not be the most charasmatic of people, I am pleased to have a likeable man in front of the cameras for a change.  :thup:

Hughton has been nothing short of magnificent this season and those on here who criticise the bloke have absolutely no idea what is involved in management, in any form of business.

I think that given a reasonable amount of money and the right purchases, Hughton will succeed in the PL in comfortably surviving the first season. His man management skills are clearly there to be seen and his communication to all and sundry is admirable.

Some also here point to the considerable support he has received from Calderwood and we might just have the birth of an excellent management team for the future, something this club of ours has been crying out for eons.

Something that hasn't been mentioned much is how our football style has improved as we've added the right type of players as the season has progressed. Like many i was mightily pissed off when we resorted to long ball football early on in the season, but the football we have played since January has been good enough to please anyone. So I would say Hughton's already shown far more flexibility and understanding of squad dynamics than Fat Sam Allardyce who's disastrous attempts to play long ball football with small players made him the laughing stock of the north east.