Football Finances

LoveItIfWeBeatU

The future of the Premier League is just a form of entertainment that people watch on TV on a Sunday afternoon or after work on a weeknight. It's already going that way, not much more connected and local than watch the NFL or the WWE.

I think the only answer for fans is to follow some real football if that's what they want, get down to Gateshead or Blyth Spartans or wherever. Otherwise we better just accept the entertainment offered on a game-by-game basis and forget that the sporting competition in general has been rendered obsolete.

I don't have any faith that financial fair play will put the reigns on people like Sheik Mansour and Fernandes.

It is largely impossible to build anything these days.

Even if you do manage to put a decent team together, on a sound financial basis, you just know at the back of your mind, that pretty soon, one of these moneyed clubs is going to come in and take them away.

In fact, they don't even actually have to *do* that any more, just the talk that they will do is enough to fuck things up for you.

Match-going supporters have become less and less important over the years, and with this new Sky deal next season, they're going to become even less important. Things are going to get worse.

Televison money and the Champions League (two closely intertwined things) have ruined everything, in my opinion. The whole thing - clubs, players, agents, tv companies, pundits, chairmen, the lot - is just one enormous fucking gravy train these days, and if you're not on it, you really don't count.

It's gobsmacking that so many people still do give a shit, when you have a lot of clubs, many traditional old clubs like you, us, Everton, whoever, who actually can not win a league.

I consider myself so lucky I saw us do that, because, however good a season your side has in future, you know that barring getting bought by some human rights abusing, vile middle east regime, you're playing in a competition which you can not win, one in which finishing fourth has become the new "winning".

:thup: Brummie

It's not just the league either, look at how devalued all cup competitions (excl. CL) have become 'til the latter stages due to the money attached to avoiding relegation from the PL or finishing a couple of places higher up in the league.

With this massive new TV deal if (and they don't) the PL and clubs could use that money to get the grassroots/community stuff sorted and prices lowered without affecting the playing side negatively but you and me both know there is more chance of us starting upfront for England than that happening.

I don't give a shit anymore.

These clubs are never going to play fair, they are always going find ways around it (Etihad stadium), the fans are always going to laud it over everyone else and claim they are playing by the rules, FIFA, UEFA, FA's they are all going to allow it so long as the money keeps rolling in. Football isn't for the common man anymore, when some clubs have a cheapest ticket priced at £62 because the corporate guys are willing to pay that to get guys in the office a staff party going and football clubs shove out the regular fan because of it you know it's all gone wrong.

£30m a year isn't it for the sponsorship of everything they own (shirt, stadium, campus thingy).  Its definitely inflated (£10m a year maybe?), but they're going to have to do a hell of a lot more fiddling then that to support even a quarter of the spending they've been doing over the past few years.  No its never going to be fair, but hopefully its never going to be as unfair as its been recently at the height of the Chelsea and Man City spending.

City done the old equity job yet? Chelsea did it this year didn't they? It's all fucking bullshit.

That's some kind of way to remove debt isn't it?  I'm not sure Man City have any debt.

just the way these big owners get the money into the clubs they "loan" the club the however many hundreds of millions are needed then turn that "debt" into equity later

I don't really see the buzz they get out of it. Just keep throwing money at something until it wins? Where's the fun in that? You aren't going to go down in history as a great guy/thinker because there is nothing great about it. It's not association to the club either through skill/work or anything like that, it's just fucking buying it and then throwing enough money into it until it works, repeat until the next abramovich does it with whoever and so on.

I don't really see the buzz they get out of it. Just keep throwing money at something until it wins? Where's the fun in that? You aren't going to go down in history as a great guy/thinker because there is nothing great about it. It's not association to the club either through skill/work or anything like that, it's just fucking buying it and then throwing enough money into it until it works, repeat until the next abramovich does it with whoever and so on.

With City at least it looks like an effort to get Abu Dhabi good publicity hence things like the regeneration project around eastlands etc. With Abramovich god knows, ego probably

I don't really see the buzz they get out of it. Just keep throwing money at something until it wins? Where's the fun in that? You aren't going to go down in history as a great guy/thinker because there is nothing great about it. It's not association to the club either through skill/work or anything like that, it's just f***ing buying it and then throwing enough money into it until it works, repeat until the next abramovich does it with whoever and so on.

With City at least it looks like an effort to get Abu Dhabi good publicity hence things like the regeneration project around eastlands etc. With Abramovich god knows, ego probably

One of the best toys in the world surely?

Would be great if league position was scored as the sum total of the clubs success.

Im dreaming I know, but, something like:

Points for winning games

Points for support in stadium

Points for starting U21 players in games

Points for English players in games

Points for financial fair play

etc

Would be great if league position was scored as the sum total of the clubs success.

Points for winning games

etc

:scared:

Points for winning games

etc

That's a nightmare. Why should points be given for anything other than playing football?

Points for winning games

etc

That's a nightmare. Why should points be given for anything other than playing football?

We support the club, not just the first team. My point is, would be great if we could score which the best club is somehow, so that we prevent a gajillionaire from buying scunthorpe and all of a sudden winning the league.

Its a stupid idea i know, just thinking out aloud really ....hehehehehe

It is largely impossible to build anything these days.

Even if you do manage to put a decent team together, on a sound financial basis, you just know at the back of your mind, that pretty soon, one of these moneyed clubs is going to come in and take them away.

In fact, they don't even actually have to *do* that any more, just the talk that they will do is enough to f*** things up for you.

Match-going supporters have become less and less important over the years, and with this new Sky deal next season, they're going to become even less important. Things are going to get worse.

Televison money and the Champions League (two closely intertwined things) have ruined everything, in my opinion. The whole thing - clubs, players, agents, tv companies, pundits, chairmen, the lot - is just one enormous f***ing gravy train these days, and if you're not on it, you really don't count.

It's gobsmacking that so many people still do give a s***, when you have a lot of clubs, many traditional old clubs like you, us, Everton, whoever, who actually can not win a league.

I consider myself so lucky I saw us do that, because, however good a season your side has in future, you know that barring getting bought by some human rights abusing, vile middle east regime, you're playing in a competition which you can not win, one in which finishing fourth has become the new "winning".

Absolutely spot on.

I used to be a little laid back about these mega rich owners coming in a just changing the landscape of the club they picked up as their play toy. But the last few years have change my mind on it. There really needs to be something done beyond the uefa financial fair play nonsense to level the playing field. I've been against a salary cap for various reasons, but I think we should put that on the table again, and I think the PL is strong enough to implement it unilaterally. The league will lose quality players for sure but, the competition will be better for it and the clubs much more stable. A small change like scraping the loan systems (or hugely modifying it) will stop clubs like Chelsea buying players like Lukaku and just loaning them out until they are ready.

Unfortunately though nothing will change with the game and we'll continue to see the gap between the haves and have nots widen.

I actually think that the sport system in US is leading by example when it comes to have an even playing field. The problem is that this chance has to be done in the whole EU, so it´s not going to happen :'(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

Anyone any idea where we were in the list the season before Ashley arrived. I'm sure we were about 14th at one point. Don't think we maximize our potential anyway. 

The club has lost so much commercial revenue since Ashley it's ridiculous.  Another reason why Llambias should be nowhere near the club.