Imagine how many points we'd have....

Tooj

If we replaced Nolan with Guthrie and stuck Ryan Taylor on the right wing I think we'd keep posession better, have a better balance and, more importantly create and score more goals.

R Taylor......Smith.......Guthrie.......Jonas

looks infinitely better than

Guthrie......Smith.......Nolan.......Jonas

• 2 weeks later...

tbh i'd look to replace smith before nolan. the latter is awful, but we have Guthrie who can play in his role as well as Barton who should be back soon. The only competition Smith has is Butt. Get in a big bastard who runs all day, pair him with Barton or even Guthrie, and all a sudden we have a good midfield.

The reality is neither of them will be dropped, because unfortunatelt they are considered to be experienced leaders on the pitch.

This being the case then we absolutely have to find a dynamic midfielder from somewhere to play alongside both of them and go with three in midfield to mask their awfulness.

The reality is neither of them will be dropped, because unfortunatelt they are considered to be experienced leaders on the pitch.

This being the case then we absolutely have to find a dynamic midfielder from somewhere to play alongside both of them and go with three in midfield to mask their awfulness.

Loven - Carroll - Shola

Jonas - Guthrie - Routledge

?

Up until Nolan fluffed that chance towards the end, I didn't even realise he was playing.

Totally non-existant.

That said, he's made up for it in other games.

no he hasn't. if he'd scored that goal today it would have summed his season up. play 89mins 59secs of anonymous stuff. 1 second of goal.

some think if a player scores then he is good and has had a good game. i disagree as i've seen many player score yet play shit.

Been saying the same all season about it. If we want to progress we need the opposite type of player to Nolan.

Disgraceful yet again tonight.

Smith's coasting atm. Just sitting there 10 yards in front of his CH's for 90% of the game. Pretending he's the new white Makelele - trouble is he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He thinks he's doing a fantastic job because we've conceded so few goals but he's hindering us because he's refusing to get involved at the business end of the park.

I can't comment on Nolan because I can't remember him doing anything of interest.

CM should be the first position which needs to be filled if/when we go up. These 2 knackers are fucking woeful.

Smith's coasting atm. Just sitting there 10 yards in front of his CH's for 90% of the game. Pretending he's the new white Makelele - trouble is he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He thinks he's doing a fantastic job because we've conceded so few goals but he's hindering us because he's refusing to get involved at the business end of the park.

I can't comment on Nolan because I can't remember him doing anything of interest.

CM should be the first position which needs to be filled if/when we go up. These 2 knackers are fucking woeful. 

Which is why imo we need a new manager, preferably sooner rather than later. Admittedly Chris has done a great job in the circumstances, but I just can't see him dropping Nolan or Smith, even if we go up. Need someone who won't be afraid to take charge and make the hard decisions for the betterment of the team.

Guest Roger Kint

I have to disagree in some parts, Smith was a beast in the WBA game(first game of season) I still remember, hes capable, just lazy.

That was 25 league games ago ;D

CM should be the first position which needs to be filled if/when we go up. These 2 knackers are f***ing woeful. 

Which is why imo we need a new manager, preferably sooner rather than later. Admittedly Chris has done a great job in the circumstances, but I just can't see him dropping Nolan or Smith, even if we go up. Need someone who won't be afraid to take charge and make the hard decisions for the betterment of the team.

I just think every manager has his favorite players. Shearer didn't drop Butt, Keegan didn't drop Butt. Just two of many examples. People were also thinking that Parker wasn't playing well in his second season here and Roeder would have never dropped him from the starting line-up.

So I don't think it's that big problem (at least that season) if Hughton won't drop Nolan or Smith. Just remember he is the manager who got Butt out of the starting XI.

Where are all those who want to sell Barton btw?

still here as it's based on his performances in his 2 1/2 years here.

i hope he proves me wrong, i also hope smith,nolan and geremi (if he's still on our books) prove me wrong.

Ive a feeling Hughton will drop Nolan soon.

Dont think he deserves much of this "hes an idiot who never sees what we see" style talk that goes round. He's dropped butt, hes tried Guthrie in centre mid, hes played Ranger, hes tried Nolan upfront. Hes brought in a new right winger after seeing pancrate wasnt stepping up, hes tried for a striker upfront when ours hadnt been consistant.

Essentially does everything people say he should, just normally a while after we say it which is understandable as its his job as manager to show faith in players when underperforming.

He'll know Nolans not been performing at the same level, same with smith to an extent. Hopefully he'll change something up soon instead of persisting for now.

I thought the opening post was going to say "if we weren't shit" :laugh:

It's an interesting one though. I mentioned it in the WBA match thread, Hughton seems to have stumbled across this formation that allows us to not bother ever having a central midfielder on the pitch. Seems to be working though, fair play, almost up there with KK's 433.

The only thing justifying Nolan's inclusion in the team is his goals. He hasn't scored in ages and only has three at home...

He deserves to be dropped now. A month or so back i'd have agreed with Hughton, but arrivals and the form of Guthrie - and the serious dry spell, particularly at home by Nolan - really warrants a 'rest' now.

I'd still keep Smith in the side whilst Barton's out though.

Ive a feeling Hughton will drop Nolan soon.

Dont think he deserves much of this "hes an idiot who never sees what we see" style talk that goes round. He's dropped butt, hes tried Guthrie in centre mid, hes played Ranger, hes tried Nolan upfront. Hes brought in a new right winger after seeing pancrate wasnt stepping up, hes tried for a striker upfront when ours hadnt been consistant.

Essentially does everything people say he should, just normally a while after we say it which is understandable as its his job as manager to show faith in players when underperforming.

He'll know Nolans not been performing at the same level, same with smith to an extent. Hopefully he'll change something up soon instead of persisting for now.

I hope you are right. But Hughton's started Nolan virtually every league game that he's been available either in central midfield or playing off the striker. As long as we're top the league, I'm not sure he'll make the change. And I gather Nolan along with Smith is something of a clubhouse leader, which may mitigate against a change.

But you're right about Hughton trying different things. When he took over temporarily last season he started Xisco, didn't he? I don't think he'd even made an appearance and Hughton started him two or three times immediately after taking over.