Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Newcastle United boss Chris Hughton remains optimistic of concluding a deal to sign Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson.

The centre-half was expected to finalise a £1million move to St James' Park after undergoing a medical and discussing personal terms.

However, the transfer has hit a snag as Pompey still owe Watford money from the £3million deal which took Williamson to Fratton Park in the summer transfer window.

The deal with Newcastle could see Pompey take a further financial hit, but Hughton hopes he can wrap up the signing of Williamson.

"I'm still very much hopeful of a deal going through as soon as possible," Hughton told The Journal.

"I know where we were in the morning and it's just a case of waiting and seeing at the moment."

Williamson has yet to make a first-team appearance for Pompey since his move from Watford and is keen to be playing regular football.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_5879804,00.html

I think the Watford board need to be man enough to accept that they'll get more money if they renogotiate the clauses with Portsmouth and Newcastle

Without having a clue what the clauses are how can you possibly reach that conclusion?

I think the Watford board need to be man enough to accept that they'll get more money if they renogotiate the clauses with Portsmouth and Newcastle

Without having a clue what the clauses are how can you possibly reach that conclusion?

Obviously that is on the assumption that these clauses exist.

I think we're owed money and should receive it in full.

I agree with that, just don't think the additional transfer fee would have made a great deal of difference to his playing time that's all.

Based on what though? 

I just don't think he'd have been keeping Kaboul or Ben Haim out of the team. Just an opinion that's all.

No offense though but I think that's just a guess based on nowt.  I mean what do you about how much the manager rates each player or there general situation?  Also Kaboul has been injured hasn't he?  Just seems pointless to say this based on no info.  We know the reason the lad hasn't played a single game, anything else is guesswork.

Watford cannot demand money for appearances if he didn't make any. That's the nature of the beast, you take a chance, if it doesn't work you don't get paid. Watford must be owed money for the actual transfer to hold this up, meaning they've basically sold a defender and received nothing for it, which for a CCC is a fuking terrible thing to do.

Hope Portsmouth go bust after this season.

It's an opinion based on Kaboul & Ben Haim being proven Premier League defenders keeping out a Football League defender.

How many times has a player come into a club and taken the place of a bigger name player.  Not everyone picks players purely on reputation.  I know its just an opinion, I just think its very frivolous

You can't think of many players that have been bought from a lower league and ended up replacing a bigger name player?  Ok not off the top of your head, but surely you have to accept its happened loads of times over the years.

We have to buy him now in my opinion. Simpson is out until Cardiff and Taylor is out for far longer which leaves us very short at the back. As much as I hate paying over the odds for someone who isn't a stand out player I think we need to do it in this situation.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

We have to buy him now in my opinion. Simpson is out until Cardiff and Taylor is out for far longer which leaves us very short at the back. As much as I hate paying over the odds for someone who isn't a stand out player I think we need to do it in this situation.

Pompey have already accepted £1 million bid from us. Now they have read the terms of the contract and owe Watford £2.3 million, so Pompey have said they will nto sell for less now.  Even Ashley is not stupid enough to play ball with Pompey now.  It's a shame as it seems all eggs were in this basket,  and it will linger on for a few more days before it falls through,  leaving just a few days to try and bring in a striker and a defender on loan who probably will not have even been scouted, just a gamble on loan.

I would think next time the players salaries aren't paid on time Williamson should be well within his rights to walk out on breach of contract. It can't be right that players can be treated like this.

Guest firetotheworks

Lack of ambition imo, he can't even get in the team at Pompey.

It's been discussed. It's because Pompey would have to pay Watford if he plays, and they cant afford it.

Excuse my ignornace, but what exactly has gone on here? Surely if everything is agreed they can't just stop the deal?

its not signed until its signed.

and until it is, you can do anything you like tbh.

Not that I'm a legal expert or anything but transfers go like this:

We fax offer to Portsmouth and they fax back saying they accept (I understand that's how transfers are done?). Wouldn't that be a binding contract for the sale of the players registration? Couldn't we seek damages for breach of contract for them not fulfilling their end?