Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Think he's the most over-rated player in our squad personally. Shouldn't be any more than 4th choice CB at best.

knee jerk!

Said it for ages. Even last week I had people telling me he's a better defender than Steven Taylor, absolute tosh. For a big guy, he's lousy in the air and weak as piss. We all know he's slow too and his distribution is on a par with Simpson.

ah yes sorry. i agree entirely actually and have said the same myself. mind you i remember most disagreeing this time last year when i said taylor was the bigger talent. now that taylor's sorted out his mental farts there's no comparison which makes it all the more frustrating that he got injured.

Guest VaVaVoom

I actually dont think he is a bad CB when doing your standard Heading and tackling but when he has to think on the ball or anticipate something that is where he falls down.

Lets just say he is limited and Coloccini brings out the best in him.

Coloccini brings out the best in Saylor and Perch also fwiw.

I actually dont think he is a bad CB when doing your standard Heading and tackling but when he has to think on the ball or anticipate something that is where he falls down.

Agree.

Brings the best out of wor lass too while we're here.

I would have liked to comment on Will's role in the goal, but after Simpson's "hands in the air" and Cabaye getting his positioning wrong thereby allowing the player the route to goal, everything else was a blur. And there is no way I can bring myself to watch a replay.

So I will comment on the player. Look, we know he is limited and so does he and he bases his game around that. Not trying to cover up for the guy but he also just came back from a long lay off and yet did well for us when replacing Perch. It may be that the initial adrenaline of wanting to play after a long lay off is now wearing off.

In the time I have watched him play he has never been the leader in a CB partnership, he needs a Colo type next to him while he does the rest of the cleaning up and basically tries to keep it as simple as possible due to his limitations. We can expect a few dodgy performances if he does not have Colo by his side.

But he is certainly not sh*t and there are many PL CBs out there who are far worse. We know what we get from Will and we know what his flaws are (so do the opposition mind) but if used correctly he adds value to the setup. No least by keeping Perch away from the defence. 

Problem is that with our small and limited squad when we lose Colo, we - for the most part - basically lose Will as well.

Think he's the most over-rated player in our squad personally. Shouldn't be any more than 4th choice CB at best.

knee jerk!

How is it knee jerk when there's arguably 3 better CB's already at the club? Incredibly poor defending for the goal.

3?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He'll tackle deep in the box, and he'll head clear balls crossed into it too. He's a box defender. The times his weaknesses become clear are with the super high lines, or when he has the ball at his feet.

Perch has done alright in midfield, not defence.

Williamson has had two iffy games in a row though. Before that he was doing fine. Tbh the whole defence looks weaker in this new formation, particularly the full backs.

For me, Perch as been solid this season and struggling to say the same for Mike at the minute.

So I'm assuming you would prefer a Coloccini-Perch partnership instead of the Coloccini-Williamson partnership? Williamson has been, for the most part, defensively solid (apart from the Fulham game).

His weaknesses have been highlighted a bit recently, yeah but I'd definitely still stick with him until the end of the season like.

Not only does Colo improve him, but he it allows him to play in the more limited role. Without that, even with if he's being partnered by Saylor, it's not going to be pretty when he has to handle the ball more. Other than that, he's a solid enough CB to have in the squad, usually does the simple things right.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Perch has run around a bit in midfield for fifteen minutes and had a fairly easy game at centre half against Brighton, Williamson has his faults but is a satisfactory defender who is much better equipped than Perch to play in the middle.

Don't think Rey's point is that crackers tbh. I don't necessarily trust the fact that with a ball at his feet the lad hits brown alert. It hadn't quite been made as apparent to me before as it was last night. Don't think theres much between them bar Willo being a better 'blocker' and perch being better with his feet.

This last page has been cringeworthy at best. Perch better than Mike? Who the fuck said that? Should never watch a football game again. Perch has had nothing, and I say nothing to do all season. Best player hes played is an out-of-form Drogba and we conceded 3 goals. Fucking abysmal player and his best game in a Newcastle shirt was against a championship club where he had fuck all to do and we still lost.

He just makes the whole team nervous and worse, its clear no one in the team relies on him when played as a centrehalve.

The decision to play a high line isn't really to do with our personnel though is it? It's more to do with the opposition strikers.

I mean, even the best CBs in the world would struggle when playing high up the pitch with little protection and Long/Andy Johnson/Odemwingie running in behind them. If they were that fast they wouldn't be centre halves.

This last page has been cringeworthy at best. Perch better than Mike? Who the fuck said that? Should never watch a football game again. Perch has had nothing, and I say nothing to do all season. Best player hes played is an out-of-form Drogba and we conceded 3 goals. Fucking abysmal player and his best game in a Newcastle shirt was against a championship club where he had fuck all to do and we still lost.

He just makes the whole team nervous and worse, its clear no one in the team relies on him when played as a centrehalve.

Neither Perch nor Williamson are good enough for a top-half Premiership side, by a long shot.

We NEED a new CB, and Pardew has known this for two months.

Tell me, all of you wjho can drag your toungues out of AP's crack long enough - why has your brilliant manager not bought a CB at the START of the transfer window, given that we only have ONE fit Premier League quality player in that position?? Oh, let mne guess, it won't be his fault. Fuck off. Its cost us a number of points since Taylor got crocked, and you anre too stupid or too sycophantic to see it. Arseholes.

The decision to play a high line isn't really to do with our personnel though is it? It's more to do with the opposition strikers.

I mean, even the best CBs in the world would struggle when playing high up the pitch with little protection and Long/Andy Johnson/Odemwingie running in behind them. If they were that fast they wouldn't be centre halves.

Yes, but we only have one decent CB, Colo, never mind the "best in the world" struggling. Our Championship players are proving the system does not work for poor-quality defenders.