West Brom 4 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/01/10 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Hughton reckons the ref was only going to give Taylor a yellow 'then changed his mind', reckons the linesman couldn't have been able to tell if the ball had crossed the line for their first and that the first penalty was harsh - 'If he gave that, he had to give the Shola and Ryan Taylor pens"

I would just write this one off and dust ourselves down and get ready for the next one. I don't usually like people bleating about the ref but it's clear the decisions have had a massive bearing on the game.

Hughton reckons the ref was only going to give Taylor a yellow 'then changed his mind', reckons the linesman couldn't have been able to tell if the ball had crossed the line for their first and that the first penalty was harsh - 'If he gave that, he had to give the Shola and Ryan Taylor pens"

NO HE DOESN'T!!!!

FA Cup:

Disgrace

West Brom  4  Newcastle  2

Referee James Linnington wrote himself into Geordie folklore with possibly the worst and most anti-Newcastle display of officialdom ever witnessed.

Not since Brian Coddington brandished four red cards at the Baseball ground in April 1992, have travelling fans seen such an incompetent and one-sided official.

Linnington made Steve Bennett and Rob Styles look like lifelong Toon fans and even the odious Trelford Mills now has a rival.

The man in blue's catalogue of errors began when he allowed Roman Bednar to foul Tamas Kadar two or three times before the theatrical forward tumbled near the edge of the area.

With help from the equally inept linesman, Linnington pointed to the spot and booked Kadar, allowing Graham Dorrans to beat Tim Krul and double the home side's advantage.

Jonas Olsson had headed the home side in front when, for the second game running, he was given all the time in the world to meet Chris Brunt's corner. Jose Enrique's attempted clearance was judged to be behind the line.

Linnington's grip on the game (and reality) became weaker and weaker and the decisions became worse as players from both sides seemed utterly bemused by the official.

Newcastle came out after the break determined to fight their way back into the game and Andy Carroll scored the goal of the game volleying Jonas Gutierrez's cross from the left.

Three penalty claims then went against United as Danny Guthrie's cross appeared to hit Olsson's arm, Ryan Taylor was barged over in the box and then Shola Ameobi was sandwiched as he shaped to shoot.

With Shola lying injured, the home side and referee ignored the appeals of Baggies 'keeper Scott Carson to put the ball out and Jerome Thomas ran upfield before being upended in the area by Taylor.

Taylor was red-carded but Linnington inexplicably waited until the kick was almost about to be taken before showing the card and Dorrans beat Krul again, despite the 'keeper guessing correctly as he had done with the first spot-kick.

Thomas added insult to injury with a fourth after Enrique had made an excellent challenge on Bednar and the ball fell loose with 14 minutes remaining.

Alan Smith managed to pick up a silly booking before Carroll scored another, weaving his way through the home defence before slotting home during the six minutes of added time.

As well as the controversial penalty decisions, Linnington was oblivious to players coming back onto the pitch after injury and even allowed to Carson to restart the game with the ball in his hands after he had booted it out following yet another Albion player collapsing to the floor.

To say the referee was Sunday League standard would be an insult to junior officials - if the assessor of this match allows him to take charge of another game then we're all in trouble.

That does sound pretty shite tbf. :lol:

FA Cup:

Disgrace

West Brom  4  Newcastle  2

Referee James Linnington wrote himself into Geordie folklore with possibly the worst and most anti-Newcastle display of officialdom ever witnessed.

Not since Brian Coddington brandished four red cards at the Baseball ground in April 1992, have travelling fans seen such an incompetent and one-sided official.

Linnington made Steve Bennett and Rob Styles look like lifelong Toon fans and even the odious Trelford Mills now has a rival.

The man in blue's catalogue of errors began when he allowed Roman Bednar to foul Tamas Kadar two or three times before the theatrical forward tumbled near the edge of the area.

With help from the equally inept linesman, Linnington pointed to the spot and booked Kadar, allowing Graham Dorrans to beat Tim Krul and double the home side's advantage.

Jonas Olsson had headed the home side in front when, for the second game running, he was given all the time in the world to meet Chris Brunt's corner. Jose Enrique's attempted clearance was judged to be behind the line.

Linnington's grip on the game (and reality) became weaker and weaker and the decisions became worse as players from both sides seemed utterly bemused by the official.

Newcastle came out after the break determined to fight their way back into the game and Andy Carroll scored the goal of the game volleying Jonas Gutierrez's cross from the left.

Three penalty claims then went against United as Danny Guthrie's cross appeared to hit Olsson's arm, Ryan Taylor was barged over in the box and then Shola Ameobi was sandwiched as he shaped to shoot.

With Shola lying injured, the home side and referee ignored the appeals of Baggies 'keeper Scott Carson to put the ball out and Jerome Thomas ran upfield before being upended in the area by Taylor.

Taylor was red-carded but Linnington inexplicably waited until the kick was almost about to be taken before showing the card and Dorrans beat Krul again, despite the 'keeper guessing correctly as he had done with the first spot-kick.

Thomas added insult to injury with a fourth after Enrique had made an excellent challenge on Bednar and the ball fell loose with 14 minutes remaining.

Alan Smith managed to pick up a silly booking before Carroll scored another, weaving his way through the home defence before slotting home during the six minutes of added time.

As well as the controversial penalty decisions, Linnington was oblivious to players coming back onto the pitch after injury and even allowed to Carson to restart the game with the ball in his hands after he had booted it out following yet another Albion player collapsing to the floor.

To say the referee was Sunday League standard would be an insult to junior officials - if the assessor of this match allows him to take charge of another game then we're all in trouble.

That does sound pretty s**** tbf. :lol:

I'm not one to bleat about refs but this one was appalling; he appeared to be totally overwhelmed by it all to be honest. After one of theirs suffered a head injury and he'd stopped play he asked Smith if he would kick it back to Carson from the place their player had gone down; Smith rightly refused pointing to where Shola had lain as he waved play on before they got their second penalty. The ref's response was then to walk back to the West Brom box and drop the ball for Carson to pick up; as that was where the ball was when he blew for treatment then that was where any restart should have been anyway. I'd say he lost it but really he never had it.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/01/23/SOCCER_West_Brom_2nd_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was furious with referee James Linington after seeing his side crash out of the FA Cup with a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Coca-Cola Championship rivals West Brom.

West Brom were awarded two penalties and Hughton believed his side had two valid penalty claims themselves when Ryan Taylor and Shola Ameobi went down in the box as the Magpies' 14-match unbeaten run came to an end.

He was also unhappy with the awarding of Albion's first goal and the dismissal of Taylor after he gave away the second penalty.

Hughton, who confronted Linington on the pitch at the end of the game, said: "It is normal at the end of the game when you think that decisions have wrongly gone against you that some of the anger and frustrations come out.

"The first goal, I can't for the life of me see how a linesman can rule that over the line and of course there is the fact he has given two penalties against us and why he has not given any for us.

There was no explanation from him.

"I thought the first penalty we conceded was a soft one and if the referee is going to give a soft penalty like that he has to give the two penalties that were against Ryan Taylor and Shola Ameobi."

As for the dismissal of Taylor, Hughton added: "What we were led to believe is that he was going to give a yellow card and changed his mind to a red one.

"I think that is incredibly harsh.

"Having got back to 2-1, we felt we had a good chance. But at 3-1 and down to 10 men it was going to be incredibly difficult.

"Losing is a setback. We wanted to make progress in the cup but it wasn't to be and we now have to go on to our main objective."

Guest firetotheworks

Im not overly gutted, but that referee sounds like he was absolutely woeful. Especially that bit about allowing them to play on and score with Shola injured and then allowing Carson to have the ball back after one of their players was injured. If that's not one-sided then nothing is.

The ref and one of the linesmen did us today. I'm not sure about rules or anything but if we are allowed to we must put in a formal complaint about that, it was an absolute joke. Worst I've ever seen and the guy next to me said he's never seen anything like it in 50 years.

Firstly he gave everything to West Brom and then the lino gave an absolutely diabolical decision, basically Bednar was fed in down the channel and Kadar was getting first to the ball, he looked to have both hands on Kadar and seemed to clip his heels to make Kadar stumble to give him the advantage, he then went across kadar towards the ball and went down like a sack of shit and the cunt of a lino gave it no hesitation. Genuine farce.

The ref the continued to give West Brom everything even in our good spell, Carroll scored and we were on the up, Taylor was fed in in the box and was bundled over from behind, blatant pen if Bednar's was but nope, once again could have been given by the lino as well but they both ignored it. Disgraceful in all honesty.

Shola was then fed through on goal and seemed to be tripped as he was about to pull the trigger, blatant pen, guess what, fuck all again. He went down clearly injured but the West Brom cunts played on and the ref didn't stop them, they broke away down the left and Thomas cut across Taylor and fell over, of course the cunt gives this and waits for fucking ages and then decided to send Taylor off. Nearly walked out at this stage. He then continued to give baffling shit to West Brom, like fouls for shoulder to shoulders and giving Olsson whatever he wanted whenever he fell over. (Despite being the wrong side of him) Oh and of course West Brom kick the ball out this time, fucking cunts. He then ignored Ranger getting slapped in the mouth (Ranger then squared up to the guy and started barging him haha.)

There was probably more, that was just off the top of my head, but it was truly shocking, could literally not believe my eyes at some of the shit the officials pulled today, genuinely hope we put in a cheating complaint, because we'll have a bloody good shot at winning.

Other than that, we were pretty shit, especially Smith and Pancrate who were awful. Enrique and Jonas once again our only threat and best players. Carroll's first was a lovely move/finish but I'd walked out long before his second.

Joke.

And I noted with no surprise whatsoever that the BBC report on the game on their sport section of their net site never mentioned the ref at all

Wonder if the usual suspects will sneer at me that I'm paranoid as per ? Ref wasn't that bad, etc etc ?  :rolleyes:

We couldn't have had a more biased ref and linesman if it had've been that UNfunny pr*ck Frank Skinner and the other tit Adrian Childs as the linesman ?

We were absolutely shocking in the first half, our players were always second to the ball and seemingly couldn't be arsed to put their foot in. Pancrate was woeful, and Smith, Nolan and Guthrie were totally bypassed in the centre. The one positive was Kadar played well and looked pretty solid.

We couldn't tell if the ball was over the line for the first and we were right behind the goal, ten rows back, so I can't see how the linesman could have definitely said it was over.  The first pen for Bednar was an absolute joke - Kadar got in front of him and then Bednar did some bizarre pirouette fall, never seen such a blatant dive in my life!

Second half we actually started to show some passion, and Jonas put a decent ball in the box for once for Carroll to score. At this point it looked like the game was ours for the taking and WBA were under the cosh. Shola was sandwiched and tripped in the box, obvious pen. He didn't get up but credit to Carson he shouted for the ball to be put out and went to see if Shola was OK, ignoring the ongoing play. Hope he isn't crocked again as I don't think we can do without him and Steven Taylor for the promotion push.

Couldn't see if theirs was a pen, but we should have either had one ourselves or at least had the ball put out for Shola to be seen to. Having Taylor sent off when he wasn't even the last man was just the ref 's icing on the cake for a truly shite performance.

You could see the team were fired up due to the shocking ref display, and in the last 10 minutes we were all over them. Carroll actually showed some nice footwork, maybe he should try to do this more as his heading today was pitiful. Finish for his second was good though.

The ref was abysmal, so many decisions given against us that were blatantly wrong. Not that arsed that we're out of the cup as the league has always been the priority, but the manner of defeat had me seething. Also noticed that the bbc report didn't mention anything about the referreeing, and that twat Alan Green on 606 totally glossed over the lad's complaint about the ref when he called in to talk about it.

The only creativity today came from Jose and Jonas down the left, apart from that we could hardly string 2 passes together. Fantastic backing by the fans though, we filled a whole end - there was only 16000 there and we must have had about 4000.  Can only hope that the sense of being cheated fires the lads up for another push in the league.

Guest Brummiemag

I don't normally blame the ref for poor results but on this occasion I will because he made a number of shocking decisions, the worst Ive seen for many years.

There was 4,000 geordies at the game, we played a strong team and went out fighting so we maintained our pride and tradition. Rather that than play a reserve team and go out with a whimper. 

if true, we must ask if this bloke actually has his refereeing qualifications.  Thats just amateurish.

.com have it spot on. Certainly the worst refereeing since Gerald Ashby (RIH?) knocked us out of the League Cup at Highbury.

At the end of the game not one of our players shook hands with any of the officials while CH marched onto the field to confront him for some time. I commented at the time that he'd shown a different side as you don't expect him to do that.

Just got back. That was simply the most diabolical display from a ref seen in years. He should be band from the game.

WBA gone right down in my estimation to.

Top of the league, your having a laugh. Let's make sure we have the last laugh hey?

Don't think the players will need much motivation after that. In some ways the ref might just have done us a favour

Guest toonlass

Just got in and that was an absolute disgrace from the referee. The linesman couldn't have seen if that was over the line in a million years for the first. The second goal (and first penalty) was a joke as Bednar was pulling Kadar and stumbled himself and fell over. No way was it a foul, but the penalty was given. The ref then missed a blatent WBA handball in the box, and Taylor was then brought down in the box. The Ameobi was brought down by 2 defenders, and was holding his face. The ref didn't stop the game (as he should have with an apparant head injury) but allowed the game to play on and the ball went up the other end, where Taylor brought down their lad. However the red card wasn't shown for literally two minutes after the tackle. The West Brom players went down several times when we had breaks on for no particular reasons, and I am amazed the ref has managed to get off the pitch tonight. In over 25 years of watching league, non-league and sunday league football I have never seen such a poor or biased performance by a referee.