West Brom 4 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/01/10 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

And I noted with no surprise whatsoever that the BBC report on the game on their sport section of their net site never mentioned the ref at all

Wonder if the usual suspects will sneer at me that I'm paranoid as per ? Ref wasn't that bad, etc etc ?  :rolleyes:

West Brom's dominance continued and they soon doubled their lead, albeit in controversial circumstances.

The Magpies' Hungarian centre-back Kadar was involved in a seemingly innocuous tangle with Bednar just inside the 18-yard box, but the referee's assistant flagged for a penalty, much to the dismay of the Newcastle defenders...

Ameobi was denied a penalty after being sandwiched between two defenders...

Referee James Linnington sent Taylor to the stands...

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton:

"The first goal, I can't for the life of me see how a linesman can rule that over the line.

"The first penalty was soft - if the referee gives that he has to give the two for (fouls on) Taylor and Ameobi.

"For the sending off, we are led to believe he was going to give a yellow card and changed his mind to a red one - I think that is incredibly harsh."

West Brom coach Eddie Newton:

"If you are on the losing side, people might start staying 'referee this and referee that'.

"The referee has a hard job, it is easy to look back and say 'he should have done this or that'.

"He has got to make split-second decisions and he's seen it as he has seen it - it has gone for us and not for them. It happens."

Aye, you're either paranoid as fuck, or else you can't read.

Guest palnese

The Shola incident was a 50-50. You've seen them given.

The Taylor penalty and sending off was an exact copy of the one where he could have claimed a penalty for himself.

Enrique would have been sent off as he blocked the ball with his harm off the line, after their first goal.

Good goals from Carroll, especially the first one. Nice finish with his right boot.

Without seeing the game I cannot comment properly, but I am not surprised that WBA won, even if it seems that they had some help from the ref.

After watching the game at SJP last Monday, they looked a far better footballing side and I could not understand those posters who claimed that their style was 'better suited to Away games'..

If you keep a lot of possession and play the ball quickly on the floor, it stands to reason that you are going to create chances - esp at home where refs DO usually lean towards the home side. They caused loads of bother at SJP with their quick passing style(reminiscent, strangely, of our 92/93 side, if not quite as dangerous up front), and I fully expected that they would be a tough task at the Hawthorns - most of this has to be credited to Di Matteo because they didn't look anywhere NEAR as good when we played them on the first day of the season.

Our defence, esp the RH side, was taken apart at SJP and WBA will have learned from that.

I am not sorry the club has gone out of the FAC - there was NO chance of winning it anyway - but these matches have shown up the weaknesses in the side and if we do not beat Palace, there is a real chance of having a bad spell which could ruin promotion hopes.

Pleased Carroll got his goals - he DOES have some talent but how he is handled from now will determine whether he makes it or not - wouldn't be too surprised if he went before the deadline.....

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/694102/WEST-BROM-v-NEWCASTLE.html

JAMES LININGTON had never refereed a West Brom game until yesterday but they will have him at The Hawthorns every week after this helping hand.

Newcastle were kicked out of the FA Cup screaming and snarling about continually being on the wrong end of his decisions. The Isle of Wight official awarded Albion two controversial penalties scored by Graham Dorrans; gave a dodgy opening goal; sent off Newcastle defender Ryan Taylor and gave the visitors less support than Celebrity Big Brother voters gave Lady Sovereign.

At the end, Newcastle's normally mild-mannered manager Chris Hughton furiously confronted Linington on the pitch despite the referee being protected by a wall of minders. Newcastle goalkeeping coach Paul Barron, a former Baggies player, also got involved in a verbal ruck with an Albion fan sat behind the dugout at the final whistle, and again security officials intervened.

So much for thinking nobody cares about the FA Cup, although Hughton, Barron and their players should have behaved better as their 15-game unbeaten run ended in fury. Hughton believed his side deserved two penalties themselves and accused Linington of changing his mind about giving Taylor his marching orders. He raged: "There is a lot of anger and frustration after the way the decisions went against us. It is normal at the end of a game to see a referee when you feel decisions are wrong and I just wanted to tell him. I can't see how the linesman can say Albion's first goal went over the line and then there is the fact the referee has given two penalties against us and none for us. He was going to give Ryan a yellow card when he gave away the second penalty but changed to a red and that is harsh."

But the Baggies are in the last 16 for the third time in four seasons and do not give a damn that Newcastle went home feeling mugged after the sides' second meeting in five days. Albion coach Eddie Newton, standing in for manager Roberto Di Matteo, said: "If you're on the losing end, some people might say 'referee this and referee that', but they have a hard job to do and make quick decisions. It has gone for us and hasn't gone for them. Whatever Newcastle say, it won't change the result or his decisions."

Jonas Olsson gave Albion a 17th-minute lead when he got on the end of Chris Brunt's corner but his glancing header seemed to have been hooked clear by Jose Enrique on the goal-line. The big Swede delayed celebrating until seeing Linington get the signal from assistant Duncan Street that the ball crossed the line. Newcastle's players kept their cool but went berserk 14 minutes later after Roman Bednar tumbled in the box in chasing a loose ball with Tamas Kadar. Street convinced Linington that the burly Czech had been pulled down and the penalty was smashed home by the classy Dorrans.

Bednar went down too easily but the reaction from Newcastle players who went eyeball to eyeball with the officials was shocking. Last summer, the FA launched the Respect campaign to combat unacceptable behaviour in the game that England gave the world. Newcastle's players obviously forgot all about it.

But Hughton knew the disputed goals only masked a shocking first half performance and he went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 in the second half. Toon had a big penalty shout when Dorrans tangled with Taylor, and it might have been given at St James' Park. Newcastle were finally rewarded for their second-half persistence in the 62nd minute when Andy Carroll smashed home a superb volley. But the chaos was only just beginning. A comeback seemed on when Gabriel Tamas bundled down Shola Ameobi in the box but Linington did not want to know.

As Ameobi lay on the ground nursing a damaged shoulder, West Brom counter-attacked and won another penalty when Jerome Thomas was brought down by Taylor with 18 minutes left. The foul earned the defender a straight red card, making the referee even more unpopular, before Dorrans stepped up to score again from the spot and put the game well and truly out of Newcastle's reach.

What angered the visitors was that some Albion players were appealing for the ball to be kicked out with Ameobi in obvious pain. Newton added: "In an ideal world, you would stop it because you want fair play but there was nothing we could do. We were breaking at a tempo and the players involved in that move did not know that there was a problem with Ameobi."

From then it was damage limitation for the 10-man Geordies but they could not prevent Thomas grabbing Albion's fourth from close range. Carroll did not deserve to be on the losing side and showed why he is catching the eye with a slick finish in stoppage time.

Can't blame WBA really. Their No2 was an ars*hole with the comments i saw - the same prick would have been squealing like a pig if they had got those decisions against them. But all the blame were on the officials. they went WAY beyond merely getting decisions wrong. There was more than a hint of "I've got ten thousand quid on West Brom" from that refs performance.

Why aren't Newcastle making an official complaint about the refereeing ?

Guest toonlass

- Ball didn't cross the line for goal 1

- Kadar's wasn't a penalty

- Taylor didn't deserve a straight red

Can't believe they didn't show the Shola incident but based on points above, it was probably a stone wall penalty.

How can you tell it wasn't over the line from that angle?

If he gives the pen on Taylor he has to go.

As a referee, if a player goes down with an obvious head injury do you stop the game or let it continue and then 20 seconds later give a penalty at the other end, while the injured player is receiving treatment from their physio, who had to wait for you to stop the game to go on to tend to their player who could have been seriously hurt?

Fair enough, but you couldn't tell it was over the line from that angle either, so the linesman definitely wouldn't have been able to be sure from where he was - Jose was stood on the line when he cleared it.

Nah. I know you're the expert but there's no way that it's worthy of a dismissal - how can Taylor's be a dismissal and Kadar's (which I think wasn't but the referee obviously thought it was a pen otherwise he wouldn't have given it) was just a yellow.

Terribly inconsistent from the ref, their second penalty looks like a replay of the Taylor-incident.

The first goal is very hard to say, but there's no way the ref could be sure that it was in, it shouldn't have been given. Looked to me like it was cleared on the line, but I may be biased.

- Ball didn't cross the line for goal 1

- Kadar's wasn't a penalty

- Taylor didn't deserve a straight red

Can't believe they didn't show the Shola incident but based on points above, it was probably a stone wall penalty.

As a referee, if a player goes down with an obvious head injury do you stop the game or let it continue and then 20 seconds later give a penalty at the other end, while the injured player is receiving treatment from their physio, who had to wait for you to stop the game to go on to tend to their player who could have been seriously hurt?

Not disputing he should've stopped the game, you always should stop for head injuries.  Having now seen both our penalty appeals I think the Taylor one was absolutely blatant, while the Shola one was a decent shout.

Fair enough, but you couldn't tell it was over the line from that angle either, so the linesman definitely wouldn't have been able to be sure from where he was - Jose was stood on the line when he cleared it.

Eh?  He'd be looking straight along the line with the best view of anyone in the ground.  Mick Lowes on the radio said he thought it was a goal.  I'm not saying it definitely was, but the argument he couldn't tell is utter claptrap.

Nah. I know you're the expert but there's no way that it's worthy of a dismissal - how can Taylor's be a dismissal and Kadar's (which I think wasn't but the referee obviously thought it was a pen otherwise he wouldn't have given it) was just a yellow.

Because Taylor (if he deems it a foul, again I'm not saying it was) denied an Obvious Goalscoring Opportunity while Kadar didn't.  This really isn't that hard to grasp.

We lost because they had willing runners all over their team who are happy to get at an opponent and go past them.

We on the other hand have 2 only in Jonas and Enrique.

It really is as simple as that, all the hand wringing and whinging about the ref will not disguise that.

Yes the 1st was harsh and the 1st pen harsh too but they still looked the more likely to win anyway. I fear for our promotion bid without more creative, fit players.

After we switched to 4-4-2 at half time we were much brighter and were causing WBA problems down both flanks. Delivery from the right was very poor but Jonas' hard work and decent cross got us right back into the game. We were looking very good for an equaliser at that point.

Personally I thought we worked very hard with 10 men and the second goal was fully deserved. We're never going to outrun a team like WBA- they have younger players who have the legs to cover the ground. If we play a pressing game at both ends we'd need to replace Nolan, Smith and Guthrie after half an hour- they aren't up to chasing shadows for 90 minutes. This inevitably means we afford more possession to the opponent around the midfield, but try to close down around the edge of our area. Improvement in the middle of the park is a must- right now we have no choice but to play this way.