When did you start following The Toon?

MyPalAl

You gotta feel for Mike and Cubaricho. All they know of Newcastle are the shittiest times for nearly two decades. They have no idea how much fun it can be during the good times.

If Mike had been around during the first Keegan era he would have been literally ejaculating for about 5 years solid. We won nowt but it was that fucking good.

You gotta feel for Mike and Cubarichio. All they know of Newcastle are the shittiest times for nearly two decades. They have no idea how much fun it can be during the good times.

If Mike had been around during the first Keegan era he would have been literally ejaculating for about 5 years solid. We won nowt but it was that fucking good.

we won promotion in 84 man.

1995, is as far back as I can remember, maybe late 1994.  I can remember liking Andy Cole and being angry when he was upset (as a 5 year old).  My first match was April 95 (v Norwich, 3-0)

:lol:

How did you know when he was upset like?  And why did his mood make you so angry?

;D ;D

thats canny funny,but i think he meant sold

I did indeed. I wrote I was upset first, but I more remember being angry.  I actually remember walking to school that day telling these kids from year 6 that it was a disgrace.

You gotta feel for Mike and Cubarichio. All they know of Newcastle are the shittiest times for nearly two decades. They have no idea how much fun it can be during the good times.

we won promotion in 84 man.

Lol, I meant the first Keegan management era. Wish I was around during the the actual first Keegan era, but I was having trouble walking and talking back then. Still do now tbf.

Those who were born(forced into it) have an excuse.

Its those of you who had a choice that I will never understand! Why Why Why?

You crazy fools!!!!

Funny thing is the game in which I fell in love with football and NUFC was a defeat :lol:

I hated football as a kid, wasn't the sporty type. However watching England in Euro '96 ignited a love for football and I remember thinking I wanna support the team this Shearer guy plays for. Ergo I was a Blackburn supporter for about a week. Hooked ever since. So I wasn't born a supporter, but I'll definately die one!!

Relatively new to the scene, about 04/05 (and now I lost all my cred on this board).

Same here. More like 06/07. Didn't follow the game professionally until then.

then what were you people thinking about?

Get out quick, while you can before its too late. run and never look back, if you dont it will be forty years before you know it.

All the teams I support are s***, forty years seems like a nothing wait compared to how long I'll be waiting on Buffalo.

Yeah, I'm a Lions fan, I'll have 40 years of hurt anyway.

:lol: God damn. Lions fan. I am truly sorry to hear that, man. I can't lament shit around a Lions fan.

Kaz, man. Reading up on the history of the team, I was surprised to see how nicely late 90's Newcastle heartbreak slotted into the gaps between my other sporting heartbreaks. It was somewhat uncanny.

I had my fill of amazing teams winning fuck all back then without even knowing Newcastle existed. One more would have been too much.

Guest toonlass

I am a glutten for punishment and decided to go for the team guaranteed to give me more pain than any other.

In reality its the team my dad, grandad and so on have supported and so I had little choice.

Relatively new to the scene, about 04/05 (and now I lost all my cred on this board).

Same here. More like 06/07. Didn't follow the game professionally until then.

then what were you people thinking about?

Get out quick, while you can before its too late. run and never look back, if you dont it will be forty years before you know it.

All the teams I support are s***, forty years seems like a nothing wait compared to how long I'll be waiting on Buffalo.

Yeah, I'm a Lions fan, I'll have 40 years of hurt anyway.

:lol: God damn. Lions fan. I am truly sorry to hear that, man. I can't lament shit around a Lions fan.

Kaz, man. Reading up on the history of the team, I was surprised to see how nicely late 90's Newcastle heartbreak slotted into the gaps between my other sporting heartbreaks. It was somewhat uncanny.

I had my fill of amazing teams winning fuck all back then without even knowing Newcastle existed. One more would have been too much.

You'd be found dead drowned in a tub filled with your own tears, man :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

A lot of this is the classic Dad outlook of, 'well if I didn't get it, they're not getting it!' and forcing this monster upon us.

Guest toon-boy-in-kent

The first televised game i can remember watching, apart from england, was the 98/99 season FA Cup final v Man U at the age of 5. I told my dad i wanted to support either of those teams and he said, as a leeds fan, that there was no well in hell that i was supporting Man U... so here I am

It seemed to have slipped my old man's mind at the time that all of his dads side of the family are mackems... so he's subsequently spent 12 years trying to convert me...

Never gonna work tho :lol:

Guest jeffers09

Around 97/98 when i got one of my 1st sticker books

My earliest memories are of ruud guillit who i used to hate with a passion

i remember dancing around the room when Shearer put us in the final against spurs

Also remember throwing the remote at the telly and getting a bollocking for it after Man utd smashed us in that final

First game was back in 81/82 I think - Shrewsbury rings a bell. My old man is a black and white, though he's always leant towards Arsenal as well for some obscure reason. Became properly hooked when Keegan signed as a player in summer 82, and have never looked back since - good times and bad.

January 22nd January 1992 - Bournemouth (h) FA Cup 3rd Round replay

Finished 2-2 and we got beat on penalties. All I remember is a gang of us went through after school as it was a fiver in (and on TV). Remember standing in the Galowgate corner and being absolutely in awe. And the board/Ardilles out chants. Hooked after that. So yeah, a glory supporter ;)

Couldn't put a date on my first game I went to with my dad, think I was 8 or 9 which would make it 89/90.  Can't remember who we played but it was 0-0 and I spent most of the game reading a Transformers comic.  Asked if we could leave at half time and my dad just laughed.  He obviously didn't take a hint because we started going regularly not long after and as far as I know we still sit in those seats in the east stand today. Remember getting Jim Smith's autograph on a stadium tour or something not long after that.  Never made any decision to become a Newcastle fan, it was just taken as read.

Just started following my home team Swansea by being taken to games with a mate by his dad. As they were in the 4th Division at the time most of classmates followed a 1st Division team, mostly Everton, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester United.

After a great deal of thought I decided I liked the name Newcastle, they played in black and white (same as Swansea) so I chose Newcastle as the team to champion in the playground arguments, a team to follow on match of the day etc. Have followed Newcastle ever since, always an excuse to go to the pub to watch Newcastle play on Sky etc.

The year was 1969 and Newcastle had also just won the Fairs Cup.

Sorry chaps, my fault.