When did you start following The Toon?

MyPalAl

Geordie Dad so it's in me blood, but it's difficult to pick a specific time.

I was unaware of Euro 96, and also vaguely recall one of me Dad's mates saying "what do you reckon to signing Shearer then, Matthew?" - then looking at him rather :dowie:-like.

But i was absolutely devastated when the Argies knocked us out in France 98.

I can remember being delighted that me and me Dad were off to our first game (November 98), cos i'd been nagging and nagging for ages. I also remember nagging and nagging for that strip where the number was in a black shield. It's all very vague but i suppose 1997 is probably when it all kicked off. I can remember the Barcelona game being on ITV but had to go to bed.

Guest firetotheworks

Geordie Dad so it's in me blood, but it's difficult to pick a specific time.

I was unaware of Euro 96... but i was absolutely devastated when the Argies knocked us out in France 98.

I can remember being delighted that me and me Dad were off to our first game (November 98), cos i'd been nagging and nagging for ages. I also remember nagging and nagging for that strip where the number was in a black shield. It's all very vague but i suppose 1997 is probably when it all kicked off. I can remember the Barcelona game being on ITV but had to go to bed.

:lol:

I can relate, I missed the Holland 4-1 because I was grounded without telly, and then missed the 5-0 match because my dad had to work.

Couldn't put a date on my first game I went to with my dad, think I was 8 or 9 which would make it 89/90.  Can't remember who we played but it was 0-0 and I spent most of the game reading a Transformers comic.  Asked if we could leave at half time and my dad just laughed.  He obviously didn't take a hint because we started going regularly not long after and as far as I know we still sit in those seats in the east stand today. Remember getting Jim Smith's autograph on a stadium tour or something not long after that.  Never made any decision to become a Newcastle fan, it was just taken as read.

Christ. I'd have been fucking devastated if i were your Dad. :lol: It's one of the moments in life which i absolutely can't wait for - taking the boy to his first Newcastle game. Cos i can remember what it was like for me. Getting out the car and looking up at the Gallowgate with the floodlights radiating that unique glow. I'll never forget it i don't think, just so special.

If my prospective wife(s) has a daughter i might go on some sort of Henry VIII killstreak.

(jk)

Didn't care about club football until I was about 11, only used to watch England at the World Cups and Euros. Shearer was my favourite player by a mile for England, so when I decided to pick a club I just asked my Dad who he played for. Think that was at the start of the 03/04 season.

Just realised how stupid that makes me sound, I know Shearer had retired from internationals by then but he was still my favourite England player. Used to carry around a little coin with his face on (one of the 98 World Cup collection thingies you used to get a little book for) for good luck. :lol:

I discovered football on my own. My parents weren't into it and they certainly never mentioned it. One day I stumbled across (i think) Sunderland vs Stoke on itv and it may have finished 0-0 or 1-0. The match was boring and I wasn't interested. I certainly don't know what appealed to me - maybe i've blanked out a lot of time - but football has been my obsession ever since.

Why Newcastle? I think I just sat downstairs and asked which is closer to Chester-le-Street....Newcastle or Sunderland. Mam said they're equal, so I just chose NUFC. Just like that! And despite everything thats happened over the last 15 years, I know I did the right thing and havn't regretted it once  :aww:

Could type for hours now with all the memories, but I won't. But when I settle down and have kids, they'll definitely support the Toon - no debate!

Around 91-92 time, just by liking it when I saw Newcastle win on Look North news on the Saturday night. No idea why as my dad wasnt that interested in football. By the promotion season I was hooked, and when we were promoted Newcastle was all I was thinking about.

Live in Edinburgh. Shared a flat in late sixties with fellow student whose parents lived in Hexham and started watching in 1967/68 season when staying with them on occasional weekends. Became season ticket holder with my son 7 years ago. Always had an interest even when living in the Middle East for 18 Years. Other team I support is Hibernian. Great weekend last weekend both teams won 5-1.

Basically from birth. Doubt my dad would have let me support anyone else. First game was in 97, the Stevenage Borough replay in the FA cup, cant remember anything about the game other than my favourite player, Shaka Hislop was playing.

See, i find this such a daft thing when i chat to people who are the same age as me.

How can you start following Newcastle in 1997 and your favourite player not be Shearer? Shearer was my fucking life man. :lol: I mean i loved Batty and Pearce as a little'un around that time cos they were nails, but i mean, they were divisions below the big man. Not having a go btw, just find it funny.

Question, was the 3-2 Barca win the same year as when we were in the FA Cup Final against Arsenal? Cos, as i said earlier, i was 'aware' but not really in tune with footy around the Barca game - that was early season - but i watched the FA Cup Final and was pretty gutted when we lost.

Remember writing the same in a similar thread a few years ago, but here goes - it's old git time again.

First match was January 18th 1964 aged 7, Grimsby Town home won 4-0. I remember someone telling me the Grimsby directors presented a case of fresh fish to teams they visited.  I supported them before that (from birth I suppose as there was never going to be an option) and had been nagging me fatha to take me.

Went again later that season and we got beat by Bury 4-0 at home - and we think it's been bad lately !

Of course I haven't been to every game since, but I think I have been at every game in spirit, anxiously waiting for news or the result. It's so much easier nowadays. In the old days you knew nothing until the full time scores on telly and sometimes had to wait until the next day for midweek matches. I think the arrival of Metro Radio was the first time away matches were broadcast and we could hear the action live.

Following on from earlier, Euro 96 really kicked it all off for me. Wasn't aware at all of the 95-96 disaster. And I remember that when Dad told me Keegan had resigned (the first time), I ran home from school crying  ;D

I did something similar when Andy Cole was sold. hahaha

Me Dad's never let me forget the bullshit people came out with after that Barca game. Apparantely everyone at work wasn't saying "That was a class result", but: "They were lucky last night, weren't they". Wasn't Figo's in about the 92nd minute? :undecided:

Remember writing the same in a similar thread a few years ago, but here goes - it's old git time again.

First match was January 18th 1964 aged 7, Grimsby Town home won 4-0. I remember someone telling me the Grimsby directors presented a case of fresh fish to teams they visited.  I supported them before that (from birth I suppose as there was never going to be an option) and had been nagging me fatha to take me.

Went again later that season and we got beat by Bury 4-0 at home - and we think it's been bad lately !

Of course I haven't been to every game since, but I think I have been at every game in spirit, anxiously waiting for news or the result. It's so much easier nowadays. In the old days you knew nothing until the full time scores on telly and sometimes had to wait until the next day for midweek matches. I think the arrival of Metro Radio was the first time away matches were broadcast and we could hear the action live.

Metro Radio started off going to the games 5 times as that was the limit and then they started doing the full second half before doing the full match.  The Pink was about as good as you could get before that.

Supporters are spoiled rotten these days.

Following on from earlier, Euro 96 really kicked it all off for me. Wasn't aware at all of the 95-96 disaster. And I remember that when Dad told me Keegan had resigned (the first time), I ran home from school crying  ;D

I did something similar when Andy Cole was sold. hahaha

When Cole was sold our school caretaker stormed into our lessen to tell us much to the disgust of the teacher.

Me Dad's never let me forget the bullshit people came out with after that Barca game. Apparantely everyone at work wasn't saying "That was a class result", but: "They were lucky last night, weren't they". Wasn't Figo's in about the 92nd minute? :undecided:

It was more than that I think, although it may have just seemed longer.