Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Spending money on Berbatov would be a huge case of

http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2007/images/aftermarket/eggs-basket.jpg

http://www.halal-meat-online.co.uk/images/emptybasket.jpg

Berbatov would almost single handedly keep us up imo.

:thup:

But at the same time, it's not worth spending the majority of our transfer budget on. If we had more money, then maybe.

Which is exactly what I said, basically.

Berbatov would almost single handedly keep us up imo.

But at the same time, it's not worth spending the majority of our transfer budget on. If we had more money, then maybe.

Which is exactly what I said, basically.

18m for a 30-yeard old striker is mental. Even if he would be a great player for you. And God knows what he's being paid at ManU.

What about a 29 year old?

18m for a 30-yeard old striker is mental. Even if he would be a great player for you. And God knows what he's being paid at ManU.

he's not 30 til the end of next january. point still stands though. but if he is available for a bit cheaper and wanted to come i'd love him here.

The days of big money signingsa nd transfer kitties are over, at least for for everyone apart from Man City (Clipboard Chris - approx 24 hrs ago).  Whilst this doesn't mean we won't be spending money on some decent players it probably precludes an 18m bid for Berbatov.

I can't see that we'd be able to afford Berbatov's transfer fee or wages, especially considering he would have no sell on value at 30.

But even ignoring that factor, he'd also be a risk. When he puts heart and soul into it - as when he was building his reputation at Spurs - he looks a great player. When he's looking a bit distracted - as when he was trying to leave Spurs, or as he's playing now for Man U - he still produces some nice touches but overall doesn't contribute much.

He's failed to impose himself at Man U, like he's overawed. Perhaps he'll do better as a big fish in a small pond, but as I say, for that money, I can't see us taking the risk.

PS - With Carroll, Shola and possibly Ranger, target man isn't the priority anyway.

Guest Brazilianbob

This just wont happen, quite why we are discussing it is beyond me when we know the clubs transfer policy is to only sign players under age 26.  Far better gamble £2m or £3m on a player like Maynard who just might be enough of a wild card to take the Prem by storm.  Remember a certain Andy Cole who coincidently also came from Bristol.