FIFA Ponder Scrapping Offsides

Guest Stephen927

Guest Stephen927
FIFA are considering scrapping the offside rule, according to a report in The Times.

The newspaper reports that FIFA president Sepp Blatter has discussed what would be the most radical rule change in the sport for decades.

Blatter has apparently spoken to the president of the International Hockey Federation, Leandro Nagre, about how hockey abolished the rule in the 1990s.

"He asked me a lot of questions about it and how successful it was, although he never offered an opinion, so it was difficult to judge what football might do," said Negre.

"But he did seem very interested in how we had implemented it."

The offside rule in hockey was abolished in 1998 after a trial period two years earlier, a move which has been credited with making the game more free-flowing and exciting as a spectacle.

Veteran BBC sports commentator Barry Davies firmly believed that it would be a great move for football.

"I would love to see it given a trial in the lower leagues," he said.

"It would probably take a long time for players to adjust. It's also very demanding physically, but I was amazed at how quickly hockey adapted and there's no doubt the game is better for it."

Davies believes that the abolition of offside is not the only rule that football could borrow from hockey, suggesting that the green card - which leads to a two minutes in the sin bin for players - would also work well.

Toby Keel / Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02032010/58/world-cup-2010-fifa-ponder-scrapping-offsides.html

The offside rule adds structure to the game, it is necessary.

didn't they try that at the 94 world cup?

I think giving an offside decision simply because a player has his arm ahead of the last defender is kinda daft. I think an experiment is a good thing. And I agree with the opinion that the game would flow more.

Bad news for teams like newcastle that possess not one ounce of creativity in them, though! :nope:

Would be a stupid move, most teams would just end up with two big target men who never leave the 6 yard box waiting for the ball to be hoofed through to them.  Defending teams would have to leave 2-3 defenders back at all times to counter them. 

You wouldn't end up with more free-flowing attractive football, you'd end up with Fat Sam-style hoofball. 

Would be a stupid move, most teams would just end up with two big target men who never leave the 6 yard box waiting for the ball to be hoofed through to them.  Defending teams would have to leave 2-3 defenders back at all times to counter them. 

You wouldn't end up with more free-flowing attractive football, you'd end up with Fat Sam-style hoofball. 

Exactly what I wanted to say tbh. Offside is needed.

Exactly what I wanted to say tbh. Offside is needed.

yup. not good.

blatter doesn't half spout some

I don't know, offside rule should apply as normal when the ball is in your own half, but once you have the ball into the opposition's half, then it doesn't apply. This would perhaps ward off overly hoofball-style football as well as implementing the openness to the game whoever's proposed this seems to crave.

Would be madness to remove the offside rule - people just need to suck it up and accept that sometimes linesmen make mistakes.

We could help them out by simplfying the rule so that a touch on the ball is required for offside, or alternatively that everyone in an offside position counts. It's the 'intefering with play' thing that's got everyone up in arms.

Guest Stephen927

Would be madness to remove the offside rule - people just need to suck it up and accept that sometimes linesmen make mistakes.

We could help them out by simplfying the rule so that a touch on the ball is required for offside, or alternatively that everyone in an offside position counts. It's the 'intefering with play' thing that's got everyone up in arms.

True, the rule just needs to be simplified.

It will no doubt end up like playground football, just kick the ball up as far as you can and let the moochers fight over who gets to score. Awful idea.

On the other hand, the "sin bin" is not such an awful idea.

All the decision makers at FIFA practically ignore everything Sepp Blatter says now, so I can't see this happening. There have been trials with scrapping offside traps in the past and they have been pretty awful.

agreed.  do something about the diving before you tamper w/ scrapping the offsides rule.  imo, the modern game of fottball has (d)evolved past the effectiveness of the gentlemen's rules of association football.  now that there's big money at stake, fair play has gone out the window--just ask thierry henry.  something needs done about the yellow/red card system first.