Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Roy would make the England team a lot more popular, I think. You can't help but want the guy to do well.

Don't the press and the majority of football fans (the likes that don't use forums) already hold opposing views?

Roy has a lot of work to do - both on and off the television.

I think generally there's a lot of apathy about the England team at the moment - people will watch the game on TV, get behind them for a World Cup/Euros but show a high level of indifference because 'well we're always shit when it counts'.

Nail on head.

I'll cheer them on as much as the next person in the summer but can I say I'm really proud of the national team? Not really, no. Just so many loathsome characters.

What's the craic here, does this mean anything?  They interviewed 3 or 4 managers one time, didn't they?

A couple of journos suggesting it's his job if he wants it.

What's the craic here, does this mean anything?  They interviewed 3 or 4 managers one time, didn't they?

I'd be amazed if Hodgson doesn't get it.

A couple of journos suggesting it's his job if he wants it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Get the FUCK in!

:memelol:

So this is how it's gone.

A long time without any success with English managers so a foreign one is the best option, so we get a sex addicted Swede who is on the front page of the papers more times than the back.

We then decided the foreign manager wasn't a good policy, so we get a struggling English manager who only didn't get sacked by Boro because somehow they managed to beat Chelsea, we then don't even make it to the Euro's.

Then we decide that a foreign manager really is the best option because our English managers are crap, so we get an Italian who can nearly speak the language and clearly doesn't have his heart set on the job then when the FA make decisions above his head he rightfully decided to call it a day.

So now we swing back towards the English manager and we are set to appoint Roy.

In four years time we will be back to getting the next foreign manager.

From Twitter:

Hodgson; Titles in Sweden/Denmark, finalist in UEFA/Europa Cup (Milan/Fulham), manager of Swiss / UAB / Finland.

Redknapp; Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth (FA CUP), Southampton (Relegated), Portsmouth (broke), Spurs, Monaco (bank account)

Roy would make the England team a lot more popular, I think. You can't help but want the guy to do well.

Don't the press and the majority of football fans (the likes that don't use forums) already hold opposing views?

Roy has a lot of work to do - both on and off the television.

I think generally there's a lot of apathy about the England team at the moment - people will watch the game on TV, get behind them for a World Cup/Euros but show a high level of indifference because 'well we're always shit when it counts'.

Nail on head.

I'll cheer them on as much as the next person in the summer but can I say I'm really proud of the national team? Not really, no. Just so many loathsome characters.

I remember GG saying something to me ages ago that he'd "genuinely rather watch Watford Ladies U18's win a throw-in" than see England win a tournament, which isn't a bad summary. People have long since stopped giving a fuck, because when it counts, the team (and often the manager) are a pile of bottling shitcunts.

Agree with Semtex regarding Hodgson's actual ability btw. Said when he was appointed at Liverpool that I wondered where the idea that he's some sort of Bobby Robson clone had come from. Had a lot of jobs across Europe, but I wouldn't say he was owt particularly special.

Agree with Semtex regarding Hodgson's actual ability btw. Said when he was appointed at Liverpool that I wondered where the idea that he's some sort of Bobby Robson clone had come from. Had a lot of jobs across Europe, but I wouldn't say he was owt particularly special.

Maybe we're not looking for 'special', though. We might just be looking for the right man at the right time; a bit like we did with Pardew. Nobody thought he was anything special whatsoever when we appointed him, his name was pretty much mud.

Capello is undoubtedly a talented bloke and before he was appointed many would have argued he was 'special', but was he right for the England job when it really counted? Was he shite.

Only just heard about this, while imho he's a good choice it would leave him in an unenviable position, first time anything goes wrong (oh lets say not winning the Euros) the knives are not only going to be out but being thrown in his direction, the media will not be amused by this snubbing of their mate Harry leaving Hodgson the proverbial lame duck.

I also question how the players will react, a lot of them said rather openly they wanted Arry as their manager and Hodgsons training methods apparently involve a lot of dull but important repetitive work which "big" players (see his time at Liverpool) see themselves as above.

All that said it will make for a must watch scenario in the same way as a car crash is a must watch scenario.

after erikson and capello you can understand the FA wanting an englishman but international class english managers are about as rare as international class english goalkeepers or right backs.

Roy has done very well with Fulham, he done well with a couple of international teams as well but everything has really been average. Even with WBA they aren't all that great, sure they are staying up this season and for them thats a success but any other decent manager could really have done the same thing as WBA do actually have quite a few decent players.

Over all I don't think he's something special, he's not known for playing the best kind of football. I just don't think he will have the bottle to drop a few of the big names who really need to be dropped and bring in the younger players, I also don't think he will be able to gain enough respect from the big name players and will be able motivate them. If he went into the Euro's and dropped the likes of Terry, Gerrard, etc who most of us rightfully think should be dropped then when our younger players obviously don't win the tournament will the FA look at him and wonder if they made the right choice? Will they think that when it becomes clear he didn't have the bottle to drop the players who should have dropped?

Definitely the best English manger out there.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/4/28/1335640021876/Newcastle-United-manager--008.jpg

also this may have been brought up before but anyone else think its not so much a snubbing of Redknapp on ability ground but costs? Would have cost the FA a fortune dealing with Levy to get Redknapp, Hodgson however is out of contract this summer

someone on my mates facebook status :lol:

iv gone for him,dont worry

I agree but neither of them are Gunna/have won fuck all as managers hodgson showed how shit he is at Liverpool! Redknap on the other hand would fit in well with the squad as he's as bent as fuck, at least he'll have a common ground with Stevie g and terry as they'll be able to compare case notes and how to get off with stuff the average joe would have been doing a stretch with bubba for! It's the 1 thing there missing they've got a granny fucker a thug and a racist and now the king of fraud! I think I should get the job don't you lol? Give it to big Sam or king kenny I say

Roy has got ability and it is clear in his CV, even without him having won anything that is considered meaningful in this country. 

Do we really need to dwell on that?

Surely we should go for the best manager out there to manage England and not the best English manager out there who could be the wrong manager for England?

Roy has done very well with Fulham, he done well with a couple of international teams as well but everything has really been average. Even with WBA they aren't all that great, sure they are staying up this season and for them thats a success but any other decent manager could really have done the same thing as WBA do actually have quite a few decent players.

Over all I don't think he's something special, he's not known for playing the best kind of football. I just don't think he will have the bottle to drop a few of the big names who really need to be dropped and bring in the younger players, I also don't think he will be able to gain enough respect from the big name players and will be able motivate them. If he went into the Euro's and dropped the likes of Terry, Gerrard, etc who most of us rightfully think should be dropped then when our younger players obviously don't win the tournament will the FA look at him and wonder if they made the right choice? Will they think that when it becomes clear he didn't have the bottle to drop the players who should have dropped?

for WBA staying up in successive years is a bloody miracle they're not noted for having the ability to survive normally and the fact they were nowhere near trouble in either season under Hodgson shows his ability.

Roy has got ability and it is clear in his CV, even without him having won anything that is considered meaningful in this country. 

Do we really need to dwell on that?

Surely we should go for the best manager out there to manage England and not the best English manager out there who could be the wrong manager for England?

Is HTT only interested in the Newcastle job or is he an option?