Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Roy has got ability and it is clear in his CV, even without him having won anything that is considered meaningful in this country. 

Definitely the best English manger out there.

Do we really need to dwell on that?

Surely we should go for the best manager out there to manage England and not the best English manager out there who could be the wrong manager for England?

At this point, minus say a SAF or a Mourinho miracle, the best choice is an Englishman.

Roy has done very well with Fulham, he done well with a couple of international teams as well but everything has really been average. Even with WBA they aren't all that great, sure they are staying up this season and for them thats a success but any other decent manager could really have done the same thing as WBA do actually have quite a few decent players.

Over all I don't think he's something special, he's not known for playing the best kind of football. I just don't think he will have the bottle to drop a few of the big names who really need to be dropped and bring in the younger players, I also don't think he will be able to gain enough respect from the big name players and will be able motivate them. If he went into the Euro's and dropped the likes of Terry, Gerrard, etc who most of us rightfully think should be dropped then when our younger players obviously don't win the tournament will the FA look at him and wonder if they made the right choice? Will they think that when it becomes clear he didn't have the bottle to drop the players who should have dropped?

for WBA staying up in successive years is a bloody miracle they're not noted for having the ability to survive normally and the fact they were nowhere near trouble in either season under Hodgson shows his ability.

My argument is though that any decent manager with the players WBA have at their ability should have been able to provide a fairly relegation free battle season. Roy has done that but I don't think him doing that puts him above other managers in ability.

Roy has got ability and it is clear in his CV, even without him having won anything that is considered meaningful in this country. 

Surely we should go for the best manager out there to manage England and not the best English manager out there who could be the wrong manager for England?

Is HTT only interested in the Newcastle job or is he an option?

:lol:

Redknapp would have told all the players to do what they want and we would have got thrashed, Roy is a sensible choice in that he'll probably try and get us solid at the back and get the odd goal from a break or set piece, not saying he is a bad manager but that's the best really possible from a team that so desperately lacks cohesion and technical ability.

Capello was on the right path in a way but never mastered the defensive solidity needed, and new players need to be brought in and the backline kept relatively stable rather than tinkered with. Hopefully Hodgson will be willing to look beyond london and manchester for players.

We won't play champagne footy though, and loads of people will complain forgetting that we haven't got a team capable of playing champagne footy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/6840494/Fulham-manager-Roy-Hodgson-still-harbours-hopes-of-taking-charge-of-England.html

From 2009.

And what would make Hodgson himself leave? Only England. "It's perfect here at Fulham, but if I were to look beyond Fulham it would have to be a top-class national team – and what better one than your own? Of course, if the FA wanted me I'd love to do it. I would have no hesitation in accepting.

"It passed me by on two occasions – when Kevin Keegan got it, then Sven-Goran Eriksson. I regard the job as the pinnacle of English football. I was very close to Bob Robson, especially towards the end of his life, and he always told me his proudest moment was managing England. I was with Terry Venables the other day and his proudest moment was managing England. I'm patriotic. I don't go down to the Southampton docks and wave the flag when they go off to the Falklands War, but England has been good to me. I'm proud to be English.

"It's unlikely to happen for me; my chance has probably gone. Fabio is going to be there until 2012 and I shall be 65 and they might not be interested in 65 year-old coaches and a lot of other people will have come up along the way. We don't even know who is going to be in charge of the FA in two years' time.

"If a Wenger or Ferguson was interested in the job, I wouldn't dream of not saying 'what a good candidate', but I'd like to think they would first go very carefully through the English candidates before they turn abroad. We produce our share of great coaches just as much as any other country. Are you telling me Don Howe, Bobby Robson, Dave Sexton and Terry Venables aren't world-class coaches?''

Selecting an Englishman would send an important message. "I'd like to think the coaching set-up in the country would regain the status it had when I was young,'' said Hodgson. He's certainly playing his part.

Sad how people think he's a buffoon (not particularly on here). He's far and away the most qualified English manager.

"Roy Hodgson (born 9 August 1947) is an English former footballer and the current manager of West Bromwich Albion.

Hodgson, who has managed sixteen different teams in eight countries, guided the Switzerland national team to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup and qualification for Euro 1996; Switzerland had not qualified for a major tournament since the 1960s. From 2006 to 2007, he managed the Finland national team, guiding them to their highest ever FIFA ranking of 33rd place, and coming close to qualifying for a major tournament for the first time in the nation's history. He has been the beaten finalist in the UEFA Cup and the Europa League. Hodgson has also coached many notable club sides, including Halmstads BK, Internazionale, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Udinese, Viking, Fulham and Liverpool. Hodgson has served several times as a member of UEFA's technical study group at the European Championships, and he was also a member of the FIFA technical study group at the 2006 World Cup.[1] Hodgson speaks five languages and has also worked as a television pundit in several of the countries in which he has coached."

From Wiki. Quite the history has wor roy.

Is HTT only interested in the Newcastle job or is he an option?

:lol: Quality.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think it's a decent move. The bloke knows his stuff and is a good coach. And he's not Redknapp, Euros could be a bit more enjoyable.

It starts.

@Matt_Lawton_DM: Hodgson deserves respect but FA decision flies in face of public opinion. Players wanted Redknapp, saying as much on Twitter and elsewhere.

Guest Craig-NUFC

It starts.

@Matt_Lawton_DM: Hodgson deserves respect but FA decision flies in face of public opinion. Players wanted Redknapp, saying as much on Twitter and elsewhere.

A good a reason as any as to why Redknapp shouldn't be manager.