Newcastle v Notts Forest - 19:45 Monday 29/03/10 Pre-match thread.

The Prophet

WBA are a waste of a Premier League place. They'll finish bottom next season. They're fine at outplaying sides in this league with decent football, but they've proven time and time again they can't hack it in the big league and they'll be bullied to fuck by the likes of Stoke & Blackburn.

WBA are a waste of a Premier League place. They'll finish bottom next season. They're fine at outplaying sides in this league with decent football, but they've proven time and time again they can't hack it in the big league and they'll be bullied to fuck by the likes of Stoke & Blackburn.

Thats good for us though.

Feeling pre-match nerves already for this one.

Aye, not to chuffed about how they reckon the weather gonna be too, could fkn SNOW!!!

:(

Snow won't be here til Tuesday morning.

I hope ya right mate

Guest toonlass

Valerenga brought a huge banner to St James's saying 'Lindisfarne 793, St James's 2004(?)' :lol:

That was by far and away the greatest thing I've ever seen at St James.

I spent half the match giggling about it. Brilliant.  ;D

We need Kaizero to go on a Valerenga site and see if one of their fans has a photo of it.

i think they've a bit more 'bite' this time round - they're one of the dirtiest teams we've faced all season. still, big questions marks whether the likes of dorrans can make the step up.

It seems the real reason that Carroll hasn't been dropped is that he's now picking the team:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6060860,00.html

"My job is to manage this football club and this group of lads," noted Carroll. "Around that will always come decisions.

"I have to make decisions every week on whichever team I pick - sometimes you get things right, sometimes you get things wrong, and I will continue to make decisions that I believe are right. I don't really have to go into specifics."

Not sure to be honest, Madras. Have we any ex-miners on here who could shed some light on things? I was 11 years old when the strike began in 84 and as the son of a miner (at that time), it wasn't good . Lots of people today, particularly youngsters don't understand how bad it was back then. Having to go to soup kitchens for a meal during school holidays - says it all really. The strike still gets my dander up now 25 years on since it ended.

got to be honest mate, i was about 18 at the time and non too supportive of the miners, mainly due to scargill stance on not having a ballot and his staunch refusal that even pits losing cash should be shut. however the way some turned against their own disgusted me and the police actions were insidious.

in my wilder moments i'll still claim scargill was a thatcher stooge. he done everything she wanted.

In fairness to the Notts miners, it's really too simplistic to say they opposed the strike.  A lot of them did support the action and for that reason possibly showed more courage than strikers in other areas. There were pockets of pro and anti strikers in all regions.

A vile time in the recent history of the UK when for a while we were a like a police state.

Not sure to be honest, Madras. Have we any ex-miners on here who could shed some light on things? I was 11 years old when the strike began in 84 and as the son of a miner (at that time), it wasn't good . Lots of people today, particularly youngsters don't understand how bad it was back then. Having to go to soup kitchens for a meal during school holidays - says it all really. The strike still gets my dander up now 25 years on since it ended.

got to be honest mate, i was about 18 at the time and non too supportive of the miners, mainly due to scargill stance on not having a ballot and his staunch refusal that even pits losing cash should be shut. however the way some turned against their own disgusted me and the police actions were insidious.

in my wilder moments i'll still claim scargill was a thatcher stooge. he done everything she wanted.

In fairness to the Notts miners, it's really too simplistic to say they opposed the strike.  A lot of them did support the action and for that reason possibly showed more courage than strikers in other areas. There were pockets of pro and anti strikers in all regions.

A vile time in the recent history of the UK when for a while we were a like a police state.

...'for a WHILE'...??? Have you counted the number of CCTV cameras on UK streets lately? 20% of the WORLD'S CCTV cameras for 2% of the World's population !

And what about that woman who was arrested by no less than TWELVE riot police for reading out the names of the soldiers who had been killed in Iraq a few years ago, while standing beside the Whitehall Cenotaph...or the 83 yr old ejected from the Nulab conf a couple of years ago for heckling Straw...or the microchips in some people's wheelie bins!???

George Orwell was just a few years' too early...!

Having a go at us for "big club" syndrome, from a team that sing "1-0 to the famous team" in spite of most people under 30 probably wondering if they're who Sol Cambell played for before he went back to Arsenal.

Guest Phil K

Valerenga brought a huge banner to St James's saying 'Lindisfarne 793, St James's 2004(?)' :lol:

It was superb, yeah. :D

Nothing against Forest, I've mentioned before one of my mates supports them, cracking lad whose a good laugh. Hope we beat them comfortably tonight obviously. After that I'll be cheering for them to go up through the playoffs, as I can't see them catching WBA.

Aye!

Also what was the game where the away team had literally one fan. Just one bloke stood in the away section with a big flag? Was class that!

Aye!

Also what was the game where the away team had literally one fan. Just one bloke stood in the away section with a big flag? Was class that!

Sampdoria?