Sunderland...

Heron

I think getting Wickham, Larsson & Gardner for less than the Henderson money is good business tbf.

It's brilliant business. Wish we'd have the balls to take a gamble on English youth, they'll reap the rewards and make a fortune when the sell him on in a couple of seasons.

I think getting Wickham, Larsson & Gardner for less than the Henderson money is good business tbf.

It's brilliant business. Wish we'd have the balls to take a gamble on English youth, they'll reap the rewards and make a fortune when the sell him on in a couple of seasons.

You could argue equally though that Cabaye, Ba & Marveaux for a few hundred grand more than the Nolan fee is cracking business.

tbf, it's not hard to make 'good business' after Liverpool have ridiculously overpaid for one of your players. If we get another striker in for around the £10m mark, we've made fantastic business out of the Carroll fun imo.

Guest BooBoo

For clubs like ourselves and Sunderland, signing the likes of Wickham is a huge gamble. You really need him to start producing straight away and then consistently which is a big ask for a young lad whose never played at the top flight.

I wouldnt be jumping for joy if we'd got him, at this moment in time both ourselves and the mackems need proven goalscorers not taking an expensive punt on a next-big-thing.

Squad is much stronger but they haven't really improved the first XI yet imo.

They're all decent players but the teamsheet they submit on matchdays won't have anyone who would strike fear into you.

Squad is much stronger but they haven't really improved the first XI yet imo.

They're all decent players but the teamsheet they submit on matchdays won't have anyone who would strike fear into you.

Imo Gardner is an upgrade on Henderson, and one of their main faults last season was lack of goals from free-kicks and corners, which Larsson can provide.

Aye that's if he does well. There is a good player in there no doubt, but it could all go tits up in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have taken a punt on him, but £13 million is ridiculous. Theres been a million and one decent English young strikers in the Championship, and probably 1 in about 10 become decent. Prime examples are Stead, Nugent, Bothroyd. Then again, he could take to the prem like Carroll did. Big risk though if they have spunked they're budget on him.

Its all well and good saying its not that impressive but if you look at the shit they had in their squad just a few years ago it shows how far they've come. Good for the rivalry imo to have both NE teams recruiting well.

Guest BooBoo

Honestly don't understand why people rate Gardner and Larsson so highly.

Me neither. Classic Steve Bruce signings.

Would hope we went for Gardner over Gibson... Much better player.

They're both shite.

Gardner is a good player. 8 goals last season.

So what? Nolan got 12, doesn't mean I rate him as a player.

Gardner is a very limited footballer, will graft and score the odd goal from shooting every time he gets the ball. Part of the reason Birmingham were so utterly toothless last season is the fact that their midfield was fucking pish and lacking in any kind of guile or creativity. I find it utterly baffling that their dogshit squad is being picked apart for massive fees.

Gardner is a decent player like, just not what you want to bring in after flogging your apparent superstar. All in all though they've hardly improved there starting XI, although Wickham could be an outstanding Premiership forward in a couple of years.

Fucking huge risk that signing, hope it backfires.

Is it that risky though? He'll not be on massive wages at 18. If he's half decent they'll almost certainly make a profit on his transfer fee once one of the bigger clubs come calling.

Not what Sunderland should be buying right now. They need a good striker, not a will-be-good striker. Having said that, as soon as he plays half-decent he'll be off.

Still stick by this. The more I think about it, the more I doubt it's a good fit.

Although theres still time for somebody to hijack.