Sunderland...

Heron

He didn't need money at Leicester or Wycome and for that matter Celtic. The only job where he's had real money to spend is Villa. Maybe he's better when he doesn't have a wad to spend.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here, this is a bloody good appointment by them and something of a coup for a team of Sunderland's standing, he's a huge improvement on Bruce, and turned Villa round pretty quick, working with a similar group of run of the mill players.

Fair play he won 2 league cups with Leicester in the days it was a joke of a competition, but has he won owt since?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Would be a brilliant appointment for them if they get O'Niel, i really rate him and will be worried! was hoping they end up with someone shit.

Clearly you are the guy sending all of these texts, then. You also appear to be holding own an obscene ammount of jobs.

:lol:

The Wycombe and Leicester days are like a bygone era now, seems mad considering it's only just over a decade or so ago.

I think, rightly or wrongly, you need to utilise the foreign market now for players as there isn't the same value in domestic players. If he's given a small budget now with a similar myopic approach to transfers he had at Villa I really can't see them getting anywhere. Early frenzy and good motivation will pull them up to mid-table, though.

I don't give a shit if they appoint Mourinho tbh, you can't polish a turd.  will require major changes at all levels to make them do well.  I can't see them restructruring, sometimes too much emphasis is based on the manager.  You need a good manager but every other peg needs to fit to do as well as you can.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/15938308.stm

Mark Lawrenson's Premier League predictions

Wolves v Sunderland (1600 GMT)

Wolves have been on a bad run, apart from that must-win game against Wigan a couple of weeks ago, which they did win. They will look at this as another important three points in their relegation fight.

In a perverse sort of footballing way, you normally see a really good reaction from teams straight after they have sacked their manager but I cannot see that working for Sunderland here.

Sunderland are beginning life without Steve Bruce and, if I were Black Cats owner Ellis Short, I would be battering Martin O'Neill's door down.

Mark Hughes is another name being mentioned and he is available but I do feel O'Neill would be a better choice. The thing with him is that he instantly reinvigorates your club - he is a great man-manager who gets players to try their best every week and that gets a reaction from the fans too.

Whoever takes charge, the Sunderland squad does not need an overhaul but it definitely needs a goalscorer.

They are one of several teams in the bottom half of the table that, if they had a decent striker, would be in the top half. There just seems to be a dearth of them in the top flight this season.

Sunderland have seen two leave in the last few months, with Darren Bent being sold to Aston Villa and Asamoah Gyan being loaned to Al Ain, but I totally understand why they let them go.

Every player has his price and I have no problems with them selling Bent for £24m. With Gyan too, they got a good price for him when he clearly wanted to go.

Both deals were a great bit of business - but only if they had brought someone else in. They are short up front and they cannot rely on people like Connor Wickham, who is a young lad learning in the Premier League. So, Sunderland need to find a striker from somewhere in January, otherwise they are in for a serious scrap at the bottom of the table.

Prediction: 2-1

Upgrade IMO.

Oh without a doubt, but you don't have to be all that to be an upgrade on fathead.

I think the success of a manager is largely dependant on the situation they find themselves in. We've seen how somebody who's a good coach and motivator like Pardew who is desperate to prove himself seems to be thriving in our set-up where he has perhaps failed elsewhere. Right time, right qualities, right people around him = success.

Personally, I'm just interested to see how O'Neill fits into their puzzle. I'm not sure whether his ideals mirror that of the playing squad (ie fast players, counter attacking football, big target man). They don't even have an actual left winger for a start.

Who will he sign if given cash to play with? Surely they've got to open him up to the idea of looking abroad for players? Even lower league bargains are no longer bargains anymore, look how much they paid for Wickham. Where is he going to find the type of players his success at Villa was built on (Milner, Downing, Young, Agbonlahor etc) for the budget he'll be afforded?

Guest VegasToon

Simple fact is that this is Sunderland we are talking about.  It doesn't matter who they appoint.  It will always be hard to get players to sign for them.  Its a shit hole of a club and that will never change. 

Simple fact is that this is Sunderland we are talking about.  It doesn't matter who they appoint.  It will always be hard to get players to sign for them.  Its a shit hole of a club and that will never change.

As soon as Bent felt like he couldn't live (car incident) in Newcastle he was off.

He didn't need money at Leicester or Wycome and for that matter Celtic. The only job where he's had real money to spend is Villa. Maybe he's better when he doesn't have a wad to spend.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here, this is a bloody good appointment by them and something of a coup for a team of Sunderland's standing, he's a huge improvement on Bruce, and turned Villa round pretty quick, working with a similar group of run of the mill players.

Fair play he won 2 league cups with Leicester in the days it was a joke of a competition, but has he won owt since?

Same timeframe when we had a team full of stars but couldn't win that cup. He also established Leicester in the top flight, they were a yo yo club at best before he came along. The job he did a Leicester was pretty remarkable tbh, and he did it all on a shoestring budget.