Sunderland...

Heron

Guest hobshobs

They've got a manager who won't fool around. Perform below par and your out. Perform well and your in. Perfect example being the winger McLean.

Gutierrez  got needlessly sent off at Old Trafford and was made captain on his return. Incredible.

100% effort and commitment are the name of the game if you want to play for O'Neil. He certainly won't carry passengers like we do with alarming regularity.

Players like Ameobi, Lovenkrands and a few others would never get near the bench if O'Neil walked through the door at St. James' Park.

May not be the most exciting football to watch but certainly of a far higher standard than such as Allardyce or McCarthy produce.

They've got a manager who won't fool around. Perform below par and your out. Perform well and your in. Perfect example being the winger McLean.

Gutierrez  got needlessly sent off at Old Trafford and was made captain on his return. Incredible.

100% effort and commitment are the name of the game if you want to play for O'Neil. He certainly won't carry passengers like we do with alarming regularity.

Players like Ameobi, Lovenkrands and a few others would never get near the bench if O'Neil walked through the door at St. James' Park. May not be the most exciting football to watch but certainly of a far higher standard than such as Allardyce or McCarthy produce.

http://topnews.in/law/files/heskey300.jpg

Guest hobshobs

Players like Ameobi, Lovenkrands and a few others would never get near the bench if O'Neil walked through the door at St. James' Park. May not be the most exciting football to watch but certainly of a far higher standard than such as Allardyce or McCarthy produce.

My point perfectly. Heskey gives effort. Lovenkrands and Ameobi don't. Would agree all three are shit though.

My point perfectly. Heskey gives effort. Lovenkrands and Ameobi don't

I wouldn't say that like.

They've got a manager who won't fool around. Perform below par and your out. Perform well and your in.

No offence, but that is absolutely incorrect. In fact, it is the total opposite of the true situation.

O'Neill chooses his first XI and sticks with them regardless of form, and regardless of what else he has at his disposal. Furthermore, he decides the players he likes, and if you're not one of them, you're never going to get a chance (even if he's only bought you a month or two previously).

That's the reason we'd start the same starting XI for weeks on end, and that's also the reason why we always faded towards the end of the season under him.

On a broader note, it never ceases to amaze me how many things get pedalled about O'Neill just because they've been said so frequently, where in fact, they are totally incorrect.

If you asked Mark Lawrenson, for example, what he thought MON's strengths are, I bet he'd say he was tactically astute, where, at least in my experience of four years watching his sides, he's amongst the most tactically naive managers I've seen in charge of us.

We've only had 2 disappointing defeats in our bad run of form, Swansea wasn't a great result either but at least it wasn't a defeat. We played Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Man Utd twice (including tonights game) in the other matches. Sunderland were very lucky to beat City, they won't be that lucky against the other sides. Everything will even itself out and hopefully we can go on a good run again.

It's amazing how every post in here sounds like us, Mick.

That's what I was getting at with my bitter comment last night.

They're lucky, they've been poor, this won't last forever etc :laugh:

Well it won't last. They've played Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn and are in O'neills honeymoon period, they're hardly going to keep up title challenging form for long.

They'll be in the top 8, if not this season. The next. He can do that with any PL team imo. Won't ever do better than 7th for any side he could realistically manage.

theres a glass ceiling on Sunderland as a club at 7th- as a Club, area, economy- they cant attract or keep the players needed to ever break the top 6. we have and can again- for this reason they dont scare me- they may and looking well to challenge for 7th, but meh- wtf- they made a bold move and the people who run thier club care more than the ones that run ours- so good luck to the stinking mongs, bring it on.

didn't see tonights game but have to say for all results have gone for them the performances haven't been much of an improvement.

It was a good result and they showed a lot more resilience than they had under Bruce. That said Wigan had 56% posession, 20 shots versus 10 and 9 corners versus 6, BUT sunderland got the goals.

I watched the first half and frankly Wigan passed them off the park and crashed two shots off the inside of a post. Just before half time the ref inexplicably denied Wigan a corner, Sunderland went up and he even more inexplicably gave them a free kick when Bentner fell over. They crashed in a wind assisted beauty for 1-0. Great result for them but I saw nothing in their play that looked particularly different, lots of bodies behind the ball, Cattermole kicking anything that moves and a huge amount of good fortune. The new manager syndrome has certainly had an impact but if they get too carried away on the back of the last two results they are kidding themselves.

Guest Roger Kint

Only saw the highlights but they rode thier luck all the first half, got a bit lucky in getting the freekick deep into added time but fair dues, it was a woeful lineup they had, two recognised defenders(one should have been gone in the summer if they had a say in it) Wigan are terrible, destined to drop if they cant score even in those circumstances given the chances they had.

FB is a wankfest from a lot of mates who havent mentioned football since August, all with obligatory FTM/Almost top dogs/bizarre Europe references  :lol: