Sunderland...

Heron

Unlike some on here I thought they were awful yesterday, just put 10 men behind the ball, rode their luck and got a flukey last kick offside winner.

Still thats the beauty of football, I can think of no other sport where one side can be so outplayed and outclassed yet still win the contest.

Perhaps a sudden death golf play off is the only sporting analogy. One player hits the green in two,putts from 20 feet leaves it three feet short and then lips it for a 5. The other player takes three 70 yard hacks then tops his 4th shot from 150 yards. It flies through a bunker runs across the green at speed, hits the flag spins up in the air and drops for a 4.

I thought their defending was very impressive. They snuffed out virtually every city attack with ease 2nd half. Unlike our jittery back line against a poor Liverpool team.

As for Sessegnon, he is a right handful and looks a great player.

Obviously they defended well but City still managed 25 efforts on goal, it's not like they nullified them completely. It's a lot easier to defend when you have a back 9

Quite. And not starting Silva made an enormous difference.

Given their s*** support, I've always read "FTM" as "Find The Mackems"

The two home fixtures over the holiday period which are normally easy sell outs both had huge gaps in the stands despite the free tickets and "kids for a quid" give aways.

It seems there is only one team who can excite the locals enough to turn out and fill their stadium nowadays and it certainly isn't Sunderland.

Guest BooBoo

Are they still bombarding schools with freebies? I know a bloke whose daughter in all innocence brought home one of the letters inviting children and their families to the SOL. He kicked off and marched up to the school insisting that they never again pass correspondence from Sunderland to his child!

Are they still bombarding schools with freebies? I know a bloke whose daughter in all innocence brought home one of the letters inviting children and their families to the SOL. He kicked off and marched up to the school insisting that they never again pass correspondence from Sunderland to his child!

:lol:

Sad really that in the north east, once considered a football crazy region, two of our big three clubs are seen on TV playing to half empty stands and one club has had to sink to these undignified methods to try and pad out their stadium.

Still I suppose once upon a time that proud club would not have selected a known thug and alleged car vandal as it's captain, nor had a manager who continued to select him and even bigged him up despite his despicable behaviour.

Sad really that in the north east, once considered a football crazy region, two of our big three clubs are seen on TV playing to half empty stands and one club has had to sink to these undignified methods to try and pad out their stadium.

Still I suppose once upon a time that proud club would not have selected a known thug and alleged car vandal as it's captain, nor had a manager who continued to select him and even bigged him up despite his despicable behaviour.

Its sad yes, but its football in general who are in a sad state atm.

It have distanced itself from the local communities, out priced it self from a lot of people.

When football are back to it old self, if it ever happen, the north east clubs will rise again.

As long as money are pumped in to the clubs from their owners, its not a fair competition anymore, and for the regular man on the street its not worth it, considering what it cost to go to games.