NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The Vertonghen link has come from De Telegraaf in Holland. Would be a fantastic signing, as good, if not better on the ball than Coloccini. Probably unlikely but I'd love for us to sign him, and hate to see him go to Spurs.

I'd love him to go to Spurs but as his best mate is Vermaelen (allegedly), I think the Emirates will be his most likely destination.

Guest Heneage

Vertonghen has been sheer class every time I've seen him play.

Not seen him, how old is he?

:megusta: Old enough.

There's a youtube video that denotes the more technical aspects of his game. Well worth a watch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8974069/Alan-Pardew-eyes-10m-Ajax-defender-Jan-Vertonghen-to-stop-the-rot-after-six-games-without-a-win.html

Newcastle’s defence, which has lost Steven Taylor for the rest of the season to injury, is starting to look brittle and Pardew’s main priority is the signing of a centre-back.

He has watched both FC Twente’s Douglas Franco Teixeria and Ajax’s Jan Vertonghen recently and appears to favour a move for the latter despite his £10 million asking price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8974069/Alan-Pardew-eyes-10m-Ajax-defender-Jan-Vertonghen-to-stop-the-rot-after-six-games-without-a-win.html

Newcastle’s defence, which has lost Steven Taylor for the rest of the season to injury, is starting to look brittle and Pardew’s main priority is the signing of a centre-back.

He has watched both FC Twente’s Douglas Franco Teixeria and Ajax’s Jan Vertonghen recently and appears to favour a move for the latter despite his £10 million asking price.

Really can't see Verthonghen being interested in a move here. Think his stock has already risen significantly higher than us.

Vertonghen is quality, would be very surprised but then I was with a few of our more recent signings. In regards to Zaha, everyone's going on about Palace's amazing youth system but have any of their youngsters come of anything? Moses average Prem player at best, Bostock sunk under Harry's brilliant youth policy...who am I forgetting? 

About half their current starting-11. Clyne is fucking amazing.

find it hard to believe we'll sign a cb for £10m

Colo?

granted but just finding it difficult to believe Ashley would sanction that kind of money on a cb now

Yep.....

At most I think we'll probably pay £5million for a CB. A £2million fee could get you a defender who would provide decent cover (eg. Ridgewell).

Waiting for someone to suggest we're only going after him as we know we have no chance of signing him. The old "we really tried to get him" line being reeled out on January 31st. :shifty:

Never even seen the bloke play btw.

If we don't buy a good CB and a good winger we will drop further down the table. It's as simple as that really. Just hope Ba's knees hold up. *knock on wood*

The thoughts with Vertonghen might be for him to play left back when Taylor returns or possibly even replacing Tiote in midfield.

Kills a couple of birds with one stone.

Colo replacement tbh.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Newcastle are monitoring Celtic's Victor Wanyama as they brace themselves for offers for midfielder Cheik Tiote. Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United are said to be interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2077293/Newcastle-wants-Victor-Wanyama-fro-Cheik-Tiote.html

I'd snap their hands off for £20m for Tiote.

:fishing: