NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to buy Samba - I think he's an excellent defender. But if it's a case of only being 'able' to afford one player, then I'd be looking at different positions.

Hmmm quite true that. With Williamson back, central defence looks like it could solidify again in the next few weeks or so. Both wings have shown worrying signs recently though. Personally, I'd go out and try and find an attacking midfielder who can play on the wing tbh (even though we already have one in Ben Arfa!).

As much as I would love Samba here, CB isn't a weakness as such compared to other positions. It's our lack of cover which is worrying.

If the Sunday Sun is to be believed and that Pardew has only got a transfer budget of £8 million, then I would try and get Ridgewell signed as well as another [possibly the attacking midfielder I mentioned above] (wishful thinking and optimistic I know, what with the same article saying that we're only going for one player).

Guest Heneage

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to buy Samba - I think he's an excellent defender. But if it's a case of only being 'able' to afford one player, then I'd be looking at different positions.

Just no pleasing some.

If even only one of the fullbacks could pass or one of the wingers was actually consistently dangerous it would make a vast difference to the side.

if any of them has some sort of movement it would make a vast difference to the side. given his limitations ryan taylor probably has the best movement of all our available wide players.

Just no pleasing some.

How on earth do you work that out?

If even only one of the fullbacks could pass or one of the wingers was actually consistently dangerous it would make a vast difference to the side.

if any of them has some sort of movement it would make a vast difference to the side. given his limitations ryan taylor probably has the best movement of all our available wide players.

Not including Santon in this i assume?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Samba is an upgrade on Saylor

He would be a massive moral and physical boost for the squad

He do a lot of charity work or something?

Morale :)

We're 3 decent players away from securing 7th place. We can get 3 decent players for what Samba would cost.

I think at most we can get two decent players (preferably ones who are already equipped to play in the PL) using the quoted £8 million budget.

Id rather us buy a fullback but i think the situation can be averted by doing the following......

Buy Samba, switch Gutierrez to RW to cover Simpson, play Santon at LB......

And if possible Buy a LW or give Sammy more chances and delay any other positions to the summer.....

Wont happen but id like it.

Id rather us buy a fullback but i think the situation can be averted by doing the following......

Buy Samba, switch Gutierrez to RW to cover Simpson, play Santon at LB......

And if possible Buy a LW or give Sammy more chances and delay any other positions to the summer.....

Wont happen but id like it.

This is from the "Our wingers" thread:

Santon left back, Ben Arfa left wing and allowed to drift into the middle, Jonas right wing, Vuckic behind Ba, Obertan on the bench to come on as the impact player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb16R_6nd15yd4bwT7B8GXfMcASBT2MSSNPjv4difr04KPhvi0

I'd go with what tmonkey said really (for the rest of the season anyway). I'm split about Vuckic behind Ba mind (I'd probably use this pairing against the lesser sides but against the big sides, probably not).

Signing Samba would be a hugely exciting acquisition for a defender. I'm doubtful, mind.

Even if we were willing to pay the fee I am sure other clubs will to and no doubt they will offer better wages.

Guest bimpy474

@lee_ryder Lee Ryder

French Sunday papers claim #Bordeaux centre-back Michael Ciani is a target of #nufc and #wigan

21 seconds ago

FFS Dave your quicker than a quick thing in quickydom.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Ciani was linked with Spurs and Arsenal at one point but I don't think his career has progressed well recently. Big and physical, I hope in this case Pardew convinces the board PL experience is better in this case and we go for Samba. Sounds as if it's the physical stopper kind we're looking at.