NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest Antec

lack of sell on value ffs. he should be judged primarily on whether we think he'll benefit the squad and by how much. considering our attacking options need significantly upgrading i'd say sell on value matters little.

Sad to think that we wouldn't sign a 32 year old Beardsley now because he wouldn't be worth much in 2 or 3 years.

Guest Roger Kint

lack of sell on value ffs. he should be judged primarily on whether we think he'll benefit the squad and by how much. considering our attacking options need significantly upgrading i'd say sell on value matters little.

Sad to think that we wouldn't sign a 32 year old Beardsley now because he wouldn't be worth much in 2 or 3 years.

Nor would we be signing an older Sol Campbell on a deal for one year with an option of a second under Ashley either.......

To be fair, a 32 years old player 10 years before is a lot from a 32 years old player now.  Look at Joe Cole and Owen, you can't imagine a player can deteriorate so much when they just reach 30.

To be fair, a 32 years old player 10 years before is a lot from a 32 years old player now.  Look at Joe Cole and Owen, you can't imagine a player can deteriorate so much when they just reach 30.

You're comparing chalk and cheese though.  Owen relies on his pace and Beardsley relies on his brain.  It's the reason why Sheringham had been about for ages.  Same with Scholes and Giggs.

You're comparing chalk and cheese though.  Owen relies on his pace and Beardsley relies on his brain.  It's the reason why Sheringham had been about for ages.  Same with Scholes and Giggs.

Exactly, chalk and cheese comparing Beardsley with them man, dunno how you thought of that?

There is a study suggesting that a player's peak years are limited, some where around 10-12 years during his lifetime. What I am saying is nowadays the players tends to train very hard before 20 and already triggered his peak period.  That's why they start to deteriorate when they just reach 30.  Giggs and Scholes are just exceptional case, fucking exceptional I would say. Even Ronaldinho, a player excelled in all technical aspects, cannot escape from this rule.

In contrast, Sir Les Ferdinand is able to perform after 30's because he started his career relatively later than others.

Giggs and Scholes are just exceptional case, f***ing exceptional I would say. Even Ronaldinho, a player excelled in all technical aspects, cannot escape from this rule.

But again, Ronaldinho is about pace and trickery.  It's bound to go when in your latter stages.

Scholes has never been about pace, his area is more his passing and his ability to read the game.  Same with Giggs, he's not bombing down the wings beating players any more, but he's adapted his game because of his age.

Raúl is a marquee case of this. Playing at the top level since he was 18, he was pretty much shot when he was 28. He then was able to extend his career by reinventing himself as a fox-in-the-box striker instead of the dynamic forward he used to be.

Giggs is a slightly unique example because he has actually maintained about the same level of fitness throughout his career by working his arse off and staying flexible.

He doesn't quite have the pace he did, but he still gets around the pitch incredibly well.

Guest ToonUltra

News from NUFC.COM......

Neither of the two stories we are detailing below have been confirmed but we thought we'd put them in the public domain for you anyway. We aren't saying they are 100% on the money.

1. We have heard the club is removing the NEWCASTLE UNITED signage from the roof of the East Stand and it is being replaced by the SPORTS DIRECT logo. We have been told the club has asked for prices for the work locally.

2. We have heard United will have a reduced allocation at the derby match down at the SOS on the 20/Aug/11. The cut could be anything up to 500 but our attempts at confirming the story have so far proven fruitless. We don't know why tickets for the derby have yet to go on sale when the sale of home tickets for the game has been underway for around two weeks. The reason for the potential reduction is rumoured to be about issues Sunderland have with their stewarding arrangements.

Let's hope not.....on both (facts)

It tells you something about players like Defoe and Joe Cole if they're never regulars for their club side.  Too inconsistent.

For a top 4 team maybe, Cole would be a regular in any team outside the top 4 bar Liverpool imo

I wouldn't have him anywhere near out first Xl. He's had it.

News from NUFC.COM......

Neither of the two stories we are detailing below have been confirmed but we thought we'd put them in the public domain for you anyway. We aren't saying they are 100% on the money.

1. We have heard the club is removing the NEWCASTLE UNITED signage from the roof of the East Stand and it is being replaced by the SPORTS DIRECT logo. We have been told the club has asked for prices for the work locally.

2. We have heard United will have a reduced allocation at the derby match down at the SOS on the 20/Aug/11. The cut could be anything up to 500 but our attempts at confirming the story have so far proven fruitless. We don't know why tickets for the derby have yet to go on sale when the sale of home tickets for the game has been underway for around two weeks. The reason for the potential reduction is rumoured to be about issues Sunderland have with their stewarding arrangements.

Let's hope not.....on both (facts)

Wrong thread.

It tells you something about players like Defoe and Joe Cole if they're never regulars for their club side.  Too inconsistent.

For a top 4 team maybe, Cole would be a regular in any team outside the top 4 bar Liverpool imo

I wouldn't have him anywhere near out first Xl. He's had it.

Agreed 100%. Completely lost his pace and movement.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Mike Ashley may see NUFC more as a transfer mill, but when the fans see it that way as well then we're really in the s***.

A lot of fans do think like that these days, they have been brainwashed into thinking like little mini accountants rather than football fans.   

Guest Antec

Mike Ashley may see NUFC more as a transfer mill, but when the fans see it that way as well then we're really in the s***.

A lot of fans do think like that these days, they have been brainwashed into thinking like little mini accountants rather than football fans. 

Look at this board for absolute proof

A lot of people (myself included) weren't particularly enamoured about us signing a 32 year old Peter Beardsley at the time because iirc he was our only signing of any note that summer. Proved us wrong mind.

Chronicle reporting we turned down the chance to sign Bassong or Beye.  Not sure if on loan or as permanent.

Both, or do they not know which?

Meant to say 'and'.  Bassong would have been decent.  Certainly would have helped cover LB issue as well.

Also, I don't think people would disagree with investing money in ageing proven players as long as it is a wise investment. 

So with Defoe, I'd be adamant that he has a maximum of 3 years on his contract (preferentially 2) and came at less than £5m.