NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest bimpy474

Ages left lads.

:lol: Aye, no doubt some will still be saying that seriously, though.

In relative terms there is still ages left. When the arabs bought Man City they signed Robinho more or less the day they took over in the last few days of the window. It's all about Ashley's intent and that's what we'll find out over the next three days.

Shame he wasn't in a certain tent when that polar bear went mental.

Comparing this to Robinho is crazy man, those Arabs turned up and wanted to spunk £30m+ on any household name they could.  They were also trying to bring in Berbatov that day and perhaps a few others.  We appear to squabbling over differences of 1 or 2 million.

I think there's a good chance we'll bring in 2 players before the window shuts, but have a feeling we'll buy the left back we need but not the striker.  Wouldn't be surprised if we bid £8m for Adam Johnson or Jermaine Defoe at about 10.30pm just for the hell of it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/pardew-carroll-tried-to-hold-newcastle-to-ransom-2201276.html

"I said to Mike, 'Look, if that boy is going to go, this money has to be reinvested in the team. All of it.' And he assured me of that. So to Newcastle fans, that is the most important message I can give. That money will be used. It could not be used [on Monday], we made a couple of bids and were quoted extortionate figures. It was ridiculous.

"It would have been paying over-inflated prices for a lesser product than Andy Carroll. So unfortunately, as I sit here now, I am weaker than I was yesterday. No, I'm not comfortable with it, but it is what it is."

Good job we've not made that mistake again. :doh:

Guest BooBoo

How many times under Ashley have we had a satisfactory conclusion to transfer window? Being kind, maybe twice?

It's far more likely that we'll see a high profile departure rather than anyone coming in.

earlier in the summer we were told that we're waiting for the prices to come down....yet now we know...prices are always inflated near the end of the window.

at what point are prices neither too hot, too cold, but just right, goldilocks?

Comparing this to Robinho is crazy man, those Arabs turned up and wanted to spunk £30m+ on any household name they could.  They were also trying to bring in Berbatov that day and perhaps a few others.  We appear to squabbling over differences of 1 or 2 million.

I think there's a good chance we'll bring in 2 players before the window shuts, but have a feeling we'll buy the left back we need but not the striker.  Wouldn't be surprised if we bid £8m for Adam Johnson or Jermaine Defoe at about 10.30pm just for the hell of it.

The Robinho comparison was only brought up to show there's still plenty of time to get deals done. If we are serious about doing them time isn't the issue. If the striker and left back aren't here by Wednesday it's because we didn't want them enough plain and simple.

The Robinho comparison was only brought up to show there's still plenty of time to get deals done. If we are serious about doing them time isn't the issue. If the striker and left back aren't here by Wednesday it's because we didn't want them enough plain and simple.

If by want them you mean pay the going rate then yeah, I agree.  Perhaps more than the going rate since the fannying around has left the other team with no time to find a replacement and most clubs aren't as reckless as us in that situation.

Guest BooBoo

earlier in the summer we were told that we're waiting for the prices to come down....yet now we know...prices are always inflated near the end of the window.

Yep, I've made this point before too. At every stage during a window we make excuses why it's wrong to buy now. I'm sure the papers tomorrow will have Pardew rabbiting on about "gearing up for the last day".

Load of shite basically, we just don't want to spend money.

never, prices are bad mmkay

Yep, I've made this point before too. At every stage during a window we make excuses why it's wrong to buy now. I'm sure the papers tomorrow will have Pardew rabbiting on about "gearing up for the last day".

The thing is we must want to spend some money or else we'd have surely just bought a cheap, shite left back and a cheap, shite striker by now.  I look at Obertan and think we made the choice between him and N'Zogbia and went for the cheaper option.  With the targets we've apparently got at the minute it looks like we've identified them and thought "what will the selling club be after?" and knocked £3m off it and bid.

The thing is we must want to spend some money or else we'd have surely just bought a cheap, shite left back and a cheap, shite striker by now.  I look at Obertan and think we made the choice between him and N'Zogbia and went for the cheaper option.  With the targets we've apparently got at the minute it looks like we've identified them and thought "what will the selling club be after?" and knocked £3m off it and bid.

Ryan Taylor is doing an acceptable job, why spend money if we don't have to? We've scored goals, why buy a striker?

That's what we're dealing with.

If by want them you mean pay the going rate then yeah, I agree.  Perhaps more than the going rate since the fannying around has left the other team with no time to find a replacement and most clubs aren't as reckless as us in that situation.

Well we've gambled on brinkmanship, if it hasn't worked we'll just have to pay what it takes to get the deals done. When you leave it late there isn't a plan B and that's the option we took so suck it up and pay the money.

Ryan Taylor is doing an acceptable job, why spend money if we don't have to? We've scored goals, why buy a striker?

Yeah possibly but I think we'll buy a left back out of pure necessity.  Probably another signing that's a bit random and not the out-and-out striker we need.

The thing is we must want to spend some money or else we'd have surely just bought a cheap, shite left back and a cheap, shite striker by now.  I look at Obertan and think we made the choice between him and N'Zogbia and went for the cheaper option.  With the targets we've apparently got at the minute it looks like we've identified them and thought "what will the selling club be after?" and knocked £3m off it and bid.

exactly, it's the 'do everything on the cheap above everything else' attitude that's going to hold us back for as long as he's here. success despite ashley is the best we can hope for. we're fucking hopeless going forward as well like, it's embarrassing. and as it stands we're a long term injury to taylor or colo away from a relegation scrap imo.

Guest BooBoo

There's a lot of truth in this. Ashley is the sort of business man who spends only when he absolutely has to. Playing devils advocate, why should we spend money when we have Ryan Taylor and Fergie to cover left back? Up front Best looks confident and we also have Shola, Ba, Lovenkrands supported by some promising kids.

We don't really need to spend money as it's not really essential.

There's a lot of truth in this. Ashley is the sort of business man who spends only when he absolutely has to. Playing devils advocate, why should we spend money when we have Ryan Taylor and Fergie to cover left back? Up front Best looks confident and we also have Shola, Ba, Lovenkrands supported by some promising kids.

We don't really need to spend money as it's not really essential.

You only have to look at Pardew's repeated comments about having to 'convince' Ashley & co to spend money to see that's the case.

This is also where his actual ambition comes in. If we spend on a striker and a left-back in the coming days, we have a squad that will be very capable of finishing top 10 and maybe threaten 7th.

If we don't, I can see us having a season very similar to last one. Thing is, Ashley would be happy with that. He only cares about the club maintaining it's Premiership status while asset stripping/trimming of wage bill. Not sure we'll see any players coming in this week.