World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Just been looking through the group schedules for particularly tasty don't-miss matches to mark in my calendar, and actually there aren't very many at all. In fact, apart from the England games, the only one I ended up marking was Portugal-Brazil.

This is the problem with seeding, I guess.

Anyone spot any other potentially great games or interesting sub-plots?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Germany v Serbia, it's probably the winner of this group that will play us in the last-16 (assuming we win our group).

Just been looking through the group schedules for particularly tasty don't-miss matches to mark in my calendar, and actually there aren't very many at all. In fact, apart from the England games, the only one I ended up marking was Portugal-Brazil.

This is the problem with seeding, I guess.

Anyone spot any other potentially great games or interesting sub-plots?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Germany v Serbia, it's probably the winner of this group that will play us in the last-16 (assuming we win our group).

Yeah, good point. And if we don't win our group it'll probably be the other one. I'll certainly be watching all the German games anyway.

Seems we have a game vs mexico on may 24th which is weirldy a monday.

NOther  on 30th vs some from somewhere on earth. I forget the details

They might even be an invited martian xi  do i like brown toast?  my name is....er bob ?

Guest Geordiesned

I'm on my phone so can't get that link. Do you have to predict the correct scores or just the outcomes?

Carrick is a class DM, his form this season hasn't been anywhere near as bad as it has been made out to have been. He's most certainly a better option than Parker (who I've always rated, and certainly during his spell with us) and Huddlestone.

The Spanish 30-man squad is out!

Goalkeepers:

Iker Casillas Fernández (Real Madrid CF)

David De Gea Quintana (Club Atlético de Madrid, SAD)

Diego López Rodríguez (Villareal CF SAD)

José Manuel Reina Páez (Liverpool)

Víctor Valdés Arribas (FC Barcelona)

Defenders:

Raúl Albiol Tortajada (Real Madrid CF)

Alvaro Arbeloa Coca (Real Madrid CF)

César Azpilicueta Tanco (Club Atlético Osasuna)

Joan Capdevila Méndez (Villarreal CF, SAD)

Carlos Marchena López (Valencia CF, SAD)

Gerard Pique Bernabéu (FC Barcelona)

Carles Puyol Saforcada (FC Barcelona)

Sergio Ramos García (Real Madrid)

Midfielders:

Xabier Alonso Olano (Real Madrid CF)

Sergio Busquets Burgos (FC Barcelona)

Francesc “Cesc” Fabregas Soler (Arsenal FC)

Andrés Iniesta Lujan (FC Barcelona)

Javier Martínez Aguinaga (Athletic Club)

Marcos Antonio Senna Da Silva (Villarreal CF, SAD)

David Jiménez Silva (Valencia CF, SAD)

Xavier Hernández Creus (FC Barcelona)

Forwards:

Santiago Cazorla González (Villarreal CF, SAD)

Jesús Navas González (Sevilla FC SAD)

Juan Manuel Mata García (Valencia CF, SAD)

Pedro Rodríguez Ledesma (FC Barcelona)

Daniel González Güiza (Fenerbache SK)

Fernando Llorente Torres (Athletic Club)

Alvaro Negredo Sánchez (Sevilla FC SAD)

Fernando Torres Sanz (Liverpool FC)

David Villa Sánchez (Valencia CF, SAD)

Valdés, De Gea, Cazorla, Pedro, Jímenez, Llorente, Martínez and Azpilicueta the "surprises" (some moreso than others). Probably the six cuts will come from them.

Valdes has been ignored for a long time though. I think Diego Lopez of Villarreal was the number 3 keeper, this is the first time Valdes has been called up I believe. Mental imo, Valdes has been consistently very good for 2-3 seasons now..certainly warrented being atleast 3rd choice.

Valdes is a surprise?

I assumed Casillas, Pepe and he would be the 3 keepers. I know he hasn't had a cap n'all, but imagined he would be a squad player.

He's never been in any Spanish squad before. But he indeed was heavily hinted to be in it this time around. So was Pedro. Cazorla and De Gea and maybe Martínez are the only real surprises I'd say, although all have had very good seasons.

Is Navas a certainty? Obviously he's had his problems and they are supposedly sorted now but surely it would still be a big risk, a month (hopefully) in South Africa he may not be able to deal with...

Valdes is a surprise?

I assumed Casillas, Pepe and he would be the 3 keepers. I know he hasn't had a cap n'all, but imagined he would be a squad player.

He's never been in any Spanish squad before. But he indeed was heavily hinted to be in it this time around. So was Pedro. Cazorla and De Gea and maybe Jímenez and Martínez are the only real surprises I'd say, although all have had very good seasons.

Valdes has never been in a sqaud? Sweet moses, I was not aware of that.

I might have read it wrong, but isn't the only Jimenez there David Silva?

I skimmed through the list, and I misread and thought he had called up Jímenez from Getafe.  :blush:

Ahhhhh ok. The Getafe one in the Spain squad would be hilarious haha. It tells you everything about Spain when Valdes doesn't normally get in the squad and Fabregas is a substitute  :laugh: What a team!