World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

There must be something wrong with people who don't like the World Cup.

Highlight of the football calendar - can't fucking wait. Need to find some cash to buy a decent tele to watch it on.

Guest toonlass

It's like watching an exhibition match. I just feel kind of "meh" about it.

It's like watching an exhibition match. I just feel kind of "meh" about it.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm flying out of the country the day we play the USA and will most likely miss the whole thing and have to catch up on Youtube in September when I return.

So, you are going to the only part of the world that will not have coverage? Antarctica? Headwaters of the Amazon? Everest?

No.  America, however I'm working at a summer camp and more than likely won't see any of it.

I have 10 pounds on David Villa top goalscorer at the frankly insane odds of 11/1. Might be tempted to do it again with Spain to win as a double. I know it should probably go in the betting thread but anyone else having a flutter on the world cup before it begins? And is anyone off here going? I might pop along for a week as I've got family in Jo'burg who I could stay with, flights are stupidly expensive though  :undecided:

Exactly.

Watching football all day long for 2 weeks in the summer whilst getting drunk with your pals, it's f***ing great.

Man, the 1994 WC is almost like my threshold to adulthood on that regard, I could make one of those boring autobiographical artsy movies, but with Roberto Baggio, Romario, Hristo Stoichkov and spanish women.

It's just bitter "Scottish", Irish and Welsh people who don't like it.

Oh and Geordies who have a complex about England as a country and can ONLY identify with people North of the Tyne, everywhere else is full of Millionaire Tory Southern fairies.

Greatest football competition there is, if you don't like it then you are shit basically.

Also home to great/shit/legendary music, barbeques, cold beer, penalties, sunshine, nostalgia, expectation and noise. (so everything good)

Guest toonlass

Ok, hate is a strong word. I just don't get all excited by it. I watch the football and of course it's good, but I have no vested interest in it. And I don't like the huge build up either.

Guest Geordiesned

I love the World Cup and I'll be watching every game. Two and a half weeks booked off work so I don't miss any of the early kick offs. I always scour the papers and mags to find the best world cup wall chart as well! :)

Guest Kenton Magpie

Not a massive England fan, I can say hand on heart I wont be close to down when England don't win it again, it's just the thought of a summer packed with football, it's brilliant!

I'll have just finished Uni so I can watch every match (apart from the final group stage matches when 2 matches are simultaneous!!). I'm so excited, I think I might create a World Cup shrine around the TV. I'll probably have 3 wall planners, which is completely pointless but who cares.....IT'S THE WORLD CUP!!!

My prediction, lots of early afternoon finishes at work and off to the pubs and clubs to soak up the atmosphere with proper football fans and those who like to jump on the I love football bandwagon every 4 years

Here in America the amount of plastics who turn up is astonishing. It makes me really not like the World Cup.

I think that is really unfair. In the US at least, the World Cup is a gateway that introduces (or reintroduces) fans to the game. Soccer--yes, soccer, is really under-represented in the media. The only time the game takes center stage is when the World Cup comes around and people get the chance to see some of the best playes in the world.  A lot of people catch the bug or have their childhood interest in the game reawakened during a WC summer.