World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

I definitely have Chile getting out of their group at the very least.  Going to be an exciting side to watch.

I also get excited watching sides like theirs as well because a lot of their core group are people who play for sides like Boca whom I don't watch all that often.

edit: this is almost exactly the system that I play in FIFA10 as well.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tactics/

A nice little overview of what you can expect from Chile - a side generating a fair bit of interest. I'm definitely looking forward to see them.

The goal in the article against Peru is insane - 7 players within 20 yards of goal. :lol:

Didn't know David Pizzaro has retired, anyone know why? cracking little player.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tactics/

A nice little overview of what you can expect from Chile - a side generating a fair bit of interest. I'm definitely looking forward to see them.

The goal in the article against Peru is insane - 7 players within 20 yards of goal. :lol:

Aye, he's been one of the most consistent midfielders in Europe over the last few seasons. Along with Vucinic last year he was probably Roma's best player.

According to Wiki, so obviously, pinch of salt is necessary this is why he quit:

After failing to qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, Pizarro said he would be retiring from international football. There were several reasons for his decision. He disliked the seriousness of ex-coach Juvenal Olmos and the ex-president of the association Reinaldo Sánchez.[citation needed] The main reason why he decided to quit the national team was due to the players. He believed the players on the national team played solely to gain popularity and it is said that some of the younger players on the team turned up to training sessions drunk on several occasions, which he couldn't stand. He also claimed he wished to spend more time with his family.

Aye, he's been one of the most consistent midfielders in Europe over the last few seasons. Along with Vucinic last year he was probably Roma's best player.

According to Wiki, so obviously, pinch of salt is necessary this is why he quit:

After failing to qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, Pizarro said he would be retiring from international football. There were several reasons for his decision. He disliked the seriousness of ex-coach Juvenal Olmos and the ex-president of the association Reinaldo Sánchez.[citation needed] The main reason why he decided to quit the national team was due to the players. He believed the players on the national team played solely to gain popularity and it is said that some of the younger players on the team turned up to training sessions drunk on several occasions, which he couldn't stand. He also claimed he wished to spend more time with his family.

Sounds unusual. Just had a look further and he said he wasn't prepared to comment in any detail on why he quit so it definitely sounds like he had the hump with someone. Shame, for all involved really.

Honestly don't understand this website at all  :lol:

Surely Chile can't play a 3-3-1-3  ???

DEF - DEF - DEF

DM          DM          DM

AM

FWD      FWD      FWD

Wide forwards cut in, wing backs bomb forward.

Honestly don't understand this website at all  :lol:

Surely Chile can't play a 3-3-1-3  ???

DEF - DEF - DEF

DM          DM          DM

AM

FWD       FWD      FWD

It's not that defensive.  There's only one DM. 

It's more like:

DEF   DEF   DEF

DM

WR                          WL

CM

FWD  FWD  FWD

Honestly don't understand this website at all :lol:

Surely Chile can't play a 3-3-1-3 ???

DEF - DEF - DEF

DM DM DM

AM

FWD FWD FWD

It's not that defensive. There's only one DM.

It's more like:

DEF DEF DEF

DM

WR WL

CM

FWD FWD FWD

I know, just wanted to show it in terms of every line having same name. As i said the WBs will bomb forward.

Very much looking forward to watching them.

Yeah Chile's formation will transition from a 3-1-3-3 to a 3-3-1-3, depending on the position of the wide midfielders/wingbacks - who will bomb up and down all game.

The way Bielsa sets it up is to have an 3 centre backs to cover 2 strikers, he always wants a spare man available - so if a team was to go 4-3-3 against them he'd almost be forced into changing to cover the extra forward. Fortunately for them I can't see Spain and certainly not Honduras/Switzerland going 4-3-3.

It's certainly high risk though, and relies upon them keeping the ball in the opposition half.