Three years under Mike Ashley today.

Parky

I remember that 3-1 win at Bolton in the opening day of the season and thinking we're gonna finish top 6.  :( 

I remember the opening day of our relegation season.

1-1 at Old Trafford.

Jonas was World class.

Colo looked rock solid.

Keegan  :smitten:

How the mighty have fallen.

I was in a pub in Italy at the time, myself and the fatha the only Newcastle fans in the whole place. Filled with Man U fans - some British, some Italians, some from god knows where else.

Went absolutely mental when Oba scored :lol:

Obviously Fletcher scored almost immediately like but I remember wearing my shirt with pride for the rest of the day looking forward to the season ahead.

I remember that 3-1 win at Bolton in the opening day of the season and thinking we're gonna finish top 6.  :( 

1-1 at Old Trafford.

Jonas was World class.

Colo looked rock solid.

1-1 at Old Trafford.

Jonas was World class.

Colo looked rock solid.

I was in a pub in Italy at the time, myself and the fatha the only Newcastle fans in the whole place. Filled with Man U fans - some British, some Italians, some from god knows where else.

Went absolutely mental when Oba scored :lol:

Obviously Fletcher scored almost immediately like but I remember wearing my shirt with pride for the rest of the day looking forward to the season ahead.

There was so much optimism. Sometimes i do get quite angry of the way it worked out. 4 points from those opening 3 games were fantastic. And we ended up getting only 31 more points from 35 games????

1-1 at Old Trafford.

Jonas was World class.

Colo looked rock solid.

Insane to think that was the same season, the positivity at the beginning was immense.

The correct comparison isn't where we are now versus where we were hoping to be. It's where we are now versus where we would have been if Shepherd had remained in charge.

Which is hypothetical of course.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd have loved to have seen what we would have been like if Freddy Shepard was still in charge. We'd be in the same boat in Portsmouth.

As for Ashley, he made a big mistake, then hid, now no matter what he does he can't shake the initial fuck up.

On 23 May 2007, in a surprise move, Ashley bought Sir John Hall's 41.6% stake in Newcastle United at one pound per share, for a total cost of £55,342,223[17]  via his company St James Holdings Ltd. Under the terms of UK takeover law, having purchased more than 30% of a listed company, he was obliged to make an offer to buy the remaining shares at the same or a greater price.[17]  On 31 May it was reported that the Newcastle board were considering Ashley's offer.[18]  On 7 June 2007 it was confirmed that chairman Freddy Shepherd had agreed to sell his 28% share to Ashley, which left Ashley free to take control of the club."

Your thoughts gentlemen?  :razz:

How long have you been waiting to start this thread?? :) 3 years?

Started one three years ago if you care to look fella.

I'd have loved to have seen what we would have been like if Freddy Shepard was still in charge. We'd be in the same boat in Portsmouth.

As for Ashley, he made a big mistake, then hid, now no matter what he does he can't shake the initial f*** up.

He's made more than one big mistake,  his whole tenure in charge has been a catalogue of mistakes.

The summer we signed Colo for well over the odds, Jonas on a bosman who went on to cost us £5 million & Xisco =  :facepalm:. The KK fiasco. Going down. Day 1 he found out there was no silver & soon as he gave the good Shepherd the bullet he would have to fork out a few million. The manager when he started was Big Sam. He has to live through Bartons journey to be: Average footballer, average human being.  Has found selling NUFC harder than donnay socks or a SPORTS DIRECT logo with a St George behind it. I would love to say it has been rollercoaster with the big man at the helm but it has been more like a slide with a few bumps on it.

£10M is the going rate for a defender highly regarded at club and international level, man. As much as you still want to convince everybody that he's shite.

We didn't pay over the odds for Colo but we did make the mistake of expecting a defender who'd never played in England before to immediately be our rock at the back.

£10M is the going rate for a defender highly regarded at club and international level, man. As much as you still want to convince everybody that he's s****.

At international level still pushing that one around ffs!!! When was his last cap for starting a game? Never convinced better clubs than DLC to buy him after his many loan spells either.  He is a canny player now & is becoming a cult figure now after a good season but we paid well over the odds.

His last start for Argentina was in November against Spain. Better start doing your research, Frank. :thup:

Nice one :up: If you can send me a link to his full international record I will be glad to look it up.

Is it 3 caps in 3 seasons? With zero wins? Feel free to confirm if this is correct.

As for Ashley, he made a big mistake, then hid, now no matter what he does he can't shake the initial f*** up.

He's made more than one big mistake,  his whole tenure in charge has been a catalogue of mistakes.

My feeling is that when you're entering any new and unfamiliar field of work, your first two years are littered with mistakes. It's after then, that you put the experience to good use, if you get the chance. So IMO it's too early to judge.

A big problem was that the old regime were swept away without much opportunity for Ashley to get to know the business. In reality, a coup was the only way of getting rid of Freddie. Trouble was there was no therefore no continuity that might have cushioned him from his major errors.

Hard to imagine Ashley could be so astute in his business dealings and so inept (in so many ways) in his purchase of NUFC.

I doubt his regime will see the supporters turning up in the numbers they have so far. If we struggle badly I can see minus 30k attendances this season. I still haven't renewed and unless the team is strengethened I doubt I will.

Really wish I still had the texts Wullie sent me while I was at work, breaking the news to me.

99% sure he used the exact words "jigging around the room with delight" to describe his emotions about it. Those of you who have met Wullie will be aware of what a startling image that is. :lol:

Ashley wasted a massive opportunity here and has rarely made a correct decision.  Even if it turns out that we can stop pissing away cash and become a stable Premiership club, it does nothing to prove that we wouldn't have been better off if decisions had been made differently.

So far he's been a monumental failure as our owner.