The Liverpool Thread

Parky

'Dr Manhattan' got permanently banned from RAWK for saying "39 points after 26 games was awful in late 2010, now it's progress apparently".

From reading on there he seemed like one of the few sensible, realistic posters. Didn't follow the rules of the cult though by having his own opinion.

Really? He was a sound poster.

Sadly, that's the current state of affairs on RAWK. It's become a police state since Kenny became manager.

'Dr Manhattan' got permanently banned from RAWK for saying "39 points after 26 games was awful in late 2010, now it's progress apparently".

From reading on there he seemed like one of the few sensible, realistic posters. Didn't follow the rules of the cult though by having his own opinion.

Sadly, that's the current state of affairs on RAWK. It's become a police state since Kenny became manager.

I honestly don't see the point of running a fourm like that.

I honestly don't see the point of running a fourm like that.

Yep.......in the end, it's not really a forum.

Agreed. It was never like that before (Benitez haters were tolerated just fine, and while no Kenny, he is still revered thanks to Istanbul).

TBH, I find it very surprising. Especially Pheeny. I interact quite a lot with him in the cycling thread, and I would never have expected him to behave like this, locking threads just for criticising Kenny regardless of whether the criticism was well-founded and -reasoned or not.

I mean, the RAWK mods have always been significantly stricter than on here, but that's understandable given RAWK's much larger number of posters (and therefore idiots).

But they've been swept up in this whole them-against-us siege mentality that's massively intensified since this Suarez thing blew up (it has been there for a long time), and RAWK's football forum really has turned into something resembling a police state.

In a way, it's not entirely surprising because Scousers have a very pronounced them-vs-us mentality, but I'd always pegged the RAWK mods as significantly more objective than your average person.

Personally, I find the North Korean attitude to criticism of Kenny embarrassing. And of course, the same is true of the entire club's behaviour surrounding the Suarez-Evra affair.

I've always found the loyalty of Liverpool fans enormously endearing—their tendency to give a manager time, to let him build his own side before passing judgement and to assess him on his own terms—in stark contrast to, say, Real Madrid or Schalke fans. There is little reflexive outrage that we didn't get into the CL, or that we lost this or that game. But the flip side of that is this embarrassingly dogmatic dedication to King Kenny, regardless of what the current reality is.

And I'm inclined to say that it most affects the most hardcore fans, the ones who have best embodied this admirable mantra of patience and one-step-at-a-time progression. It's sad.

By comparison, I'm a very casual fan, but I've always been proud to be a part of what i considered to be a largely knowledgable, reasonable and intelligent fanbase. At the moment, I'm far more embarrassed than proud. And that has nothing to do with the way the team is playing.

Guest palnese

I've always found the loyalty of Liverpool fans enormously endearing—their tendency to give a manager time, to let him build his own side before passing judgement and to assess him on his own terms—in stark contrast to, say, Real Madrid or Schalke fans. There is little reflexive outrage that we didn't get into the CL, or that we lost this or that game. But the flip side of that is this embarrassingly dogmatic dedication to King Kenny, regardless of what the current reality is.

Like Hodgson?

Like Hodgson?

Right. Because Hodgson wasn't obviously driving the side towards his mid-table comfort zone from the second he arrived.

Working or not, at least Kenny's aim is to improve the side, not to entrench it where it stands in the hope of avoiding further decline, like Hodgson did.

Like Hodgson?

Right. Because Hodgson wasn't obviously driving the side towards his mid-table comfort zone from the second he arrived.

Working or not, at least Kenny's aim is to improve the side, not to entrench it where it stands in the hope of avoiding further decline, like Hodgson did.

Let me see if I got this right. Hodgson WANTED his Liverpool side in mid-table, so he could avoid further decline?  ???

Tbf wacko you're a fantastic poster, and a very level-headed Liverpool fan, but I just don't understand that post at all. At least Kenny's aim is to improve the side? So Hodgson was actively aiming to drag Liverpool backwards towards mid-table?

Tbf wacko you're a fantastic poster, and a very level-headed Liverpool fan, but I just don't understand that post at all. At least Kenny's aim is to improve the side? So Hodgson was actively aiming to drag Liverpool backwards towards mid-table?

For what it's worth, I reckon Hodgson is actually a better manager than Dalgleech.

For what it's worth, I reckon Hodgson is actually a better manager than Dalgleech.

I think he is. However Dalglish is clearly a better fit for Liverpool.

I think he is. However Dalglish is clearly a better fit for Liverpool.

Agreed.

One thing I liked about Liverpool was they gave their managers time, but thought Hodgson got a rough ride personally - fans never seemed quite onside, and he wasn't given much time (and that's coming from a Newcastle fan :laugh:). Very talented manager IMO. Ah well, wasn't meant to be. He's doing just fine now :thup:

I liked your post Wacko, it was exactly what most on the outside wanted to hear from Liverpool and haven't heard enough. Can I ask whether you think Dalglish can deliver CL football for you? not necessarily this season but next? Also, what do you think the balance is between him and Comolli on signing players? I think many will forget about the Suarez and Liverpool mistakes this season at least by the beginning of the next season but it was still a sham and will have caused long-term damage below the surface

It wasn't his explicit aim, but it was clearly where he was going. A side that has European aspirations simply has to play possession football (it took Ferguson a very long time to realise that), whereas Hodgson was taking us away from that. He took a tactically sophisticated and fairly skillful side and set about turning it into a bunch of typically English clodhoppers.

Intentional or not, the obvious place for such a side is not in the CL spots, and even if they did manage it, they'd never get anywhere.

Hodgson is all about (and very good at) building a side that's hard to beat. This is a very different thing to building a side to win. It's negative, destructive. To win, a side has to be positive, constructive.

We had enough of negative football under Houllier. It just doesn't work for clubs that aspire to the top because your opponents intend to play the same, negative football against you. To be a top side, you have to be able to go out there to win games, not just to not lose them. If you settle for the latter, mediocrity shall be your fate. That wasn't acceptable to us.

Don't really see a lot of difference between Hodgson and KKK, except the latter gets his points from the 'bigger clubs' which makes him look a better manager than he actually is.

Don't really see a lot of difference between Hodgson and KKK, except the latter gets his points from the 'bigger clubs' which makes him look a better manager than he actually is.

Very much this. Wacko could just as well have been describing KKK in his last post.

Liverpool today is very much a hard working team that's good at forcing errors and then exploit them. Except for the racist cunt, there's not a lot of flair in their team.

Very much this. Wacko could just as well have been describing KKK in his last post.

Liverpool today is very much a hard working team that's good at forcing errors and then exploit them. Except for the racist cunt, there's not a lot of flair in their team.

:thup: Not much I can add to that. I don't see how people were pissed at Hodgson yet class KKK as very much taking them in a completely different direction. Just can't see it. :dontknow:

Tbf, they play good football today but they just can't score for shit.