The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Once you've reinstated a club legend, owners are in a very difficult place as fans will not tolerate their heroes being messed about. Ashley discovered it with KK and FSG will inevitably have similar issues with KD.

Surely Ashley has been largely vindicated, now that you're within one point of CL qualification?

Same will apply to FSG if they do a good job after booting Kenny back upstairs.

They should try and get Rafa back. He'd do a much better job and would minimise any fan backlash for getting shot of Kenny.

Simple really, you never go back.

Yeah. It probably wasn't so smart to have him take over from Hodgson.

So your saying Liverpool have made a mistake in going back and getting a manger in that the fans loved and you shouldn't go back, then you say that they should get Rafa back, another manager the fans love.

Once you've reinstated a club legend, owners are in a very difficult place as fans will not tolerate their heroes being messed about. Ashley discovered it with KK and FSG will inevitably have similar issues with KD.

Surely Ashley has been largely vindicated, now that you're within one point of CL qualification?

Same will apply to FSG if they do a good job after booting Kenny back upstairs.

They should try and get Rafa back. He'd do a much better job and would minimise any fan backlash for getting shot of Kenny.

Simple really, you never go back.

Yeah. It probably wasn't so smart to have him take over from Hodgson.

So your saying Liverpool have made a mistake in going back and getting a manger in that the fans loved and you shouldn't go back, then you say that they should get Rafa back, another manager the fans love.

No. I'm saying that now, in hindsight, his popularity amongst fans might turn out to be a problem for the owners if they remove him. At the time, it was a great morale booster all round.

Rafa's popularity might also be a problem further down the road, but it would likely quell any backlash over moving Kenny, and Rafa isn't as risky a hire as Dalglish was.

The main problem is not who's popular with whom, but bringing in a good manager. That Rafa's reappointment might appease the Kenny diehards is a bonus. First and foremost, he's a damn good manager.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa is a top manager and would have won LFC the league eventually I thought, although at a massive cost and at a massive turnover of players which would have effected the manager after him massively and in a negative way. They need a different approach though. If I were in charge I'd go all out for Mourinho but LFC fans would never take to him. Not the Liverpool way apparently :lol:

Rafa is a top manager and would have won LFC the league eventually I thought, although at a massive cost and at a massive turnover of players which would have effected the manager after him massively and in a negative way. They need a different approach though. If I were in charge I'd go all out for Mourinho but LFC fans would never take to him. Not the Liverpool way apparently :lol:

They tolerated Houllier for long enough and he would have been worse than what Mourinho would be like.

Don't think they would ever have won the league under Rafa.  They started going the wrong way quite drastically towards the end of his tenure, didn't they?

Don't think they would ever have won the league under Rafa.  They started going the wrong way quite drastically towards the end of his tenure, didn't they?

It was all coming together nicely. We finally started the season well in 2008 (Rafa's rotating had put us out of the league by November in previous seasons, and he'd concentrated on the CL), and finished second with 86 points. Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal didn't strengthen that summer, and that was our chance to make the final push. The owners were already feeling the squeeze, and we got nothing. That was when Rafa spoke out publicly against the owners, and it was all downhill from there. If FSG had taken over a year earlier, it might all have been very different.

If Dalglish is moved upstairs/out, Tony Pulis could be a front-runner to get the gig. Plays a similar style of play, could bring some of his best players along to improve the squad (Carroll and Crouch could be the new Sutton and Shearer: CAC) and perhaps most importantly he's just about odious enough to take on the King's mantle. The more I think about it, the more I think he's a shoo-in.

If Dalglish is moved upstairs/out, Tony Pulis could be a front-runner to get the gig. Plays a similar style of play, could bring some of his best players along to improve the squad (Carroll and Crouch could be the new Sutton and Shearer: CAC) and perhaps most importantly he's just about odious enough to take on the King's mantle. The more I think about it, the more I think he's a shoo-in.

:lol:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=292500.520

Just reading the general results forum on there, absolute horror when it was suggested Pardew is a better manager than Dalgish  :lol:

Their Carling Cup achievement outweighs our success apparently.

Still find it hilarious that earlier in the season they were willing us to beat sides, due to their massively patronising perception that we would clearly drop away as our players were nowhere near as good as theirs.